• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Valiant Universe movies announced by Sony... Bloodshot first in 2017

202 posts in this topic

I'm probably wrong but I doubt there will be a massive uptick in value to the 1996 books. Especially if you paid 1997 prices!

I bought an almost complete set of Valiants in 1997 for 10 pence each, for what it's worth (I nearly baulked even at that price). May make something on those, although I have to locate them first...

I'm probably wrong but I doubt there will be a massive uptick in value to the 1996 books. Especially if you paid 1997 prices!

CGC 9.8 Solar 3 on MCS went for $130 a couple months back. Didn't see any, graded or raw, in their last auction.

Ebay's showing one sold in April for $178

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221745744528

So there's some movement on the 1st Toyo Harada/Harbinger at least. Or appears to be.

Eh...maybe.

a 9.8 Solar # 3 sold in last week's Comiclink featured auction for just $121. I passed on it at that price.

But eBay's been curiously devoid of them lately.

Did an eBay "Sold" search and raw NM BINs between $30 - $60 seem to've been popping fairly steadily. So there's some level of awareness going on. Time will tell if yesterday's announcement ramps things any.

Did anybody get a quote from Jim Shooter "the godfather" of Valiant of what he thinks of the Valiant Universe now going to be on the big screen? hm

Jim Shooter seems to have become a recluse of late. I hope all is well with him?

The new ownership of Valiant brought Jim Shooter in as Editor-In-Chief in 2008 to be the architect of the return to publishing.

Valiant did not announce his hiring because it was going to be a major announcement when the books were ready to be ordered.

Valiant also believed they were close to obtaining the rights to create new stories for Magnus, Solar, and Turok... but they had relaunch plans for "with" and "without" the Gold Key characters. Before any of that happened, Jim Shooter left the Valiant offices and set up shop at Dark Horse with Magnus, Solar, and Turok.

Valiant sued Jim Shooter for breach of contract, but it was only an implied contract because Jim Shooter had been accepting payments for months. In the end, Valiant dropped the lawsuit and Dark Horse eventually dropped the Gold Key (or "Dark Key") comic lines that Shooter created.

It's unlikely that Jim Shooter would speak highly of Valiant... but a nine-figure investment and a release date for a movie are both more than the original Valiant ever saw... with or without Jim Shooter.

I'd hold out hope that he might say something like, "I'm happy for those guys... they did it their way and they appear to be doing well", but I wouldn't be surprised if he said something else entirely... possibly requiring censoring.

Did anybody get a quote from Jim Shooter "the godfather" of Valiant of what he thinks of the Valiant Universe now going to be on the big screen? hm

Jim Shooter seems to have become a recluse of late. I hope all is well with him?

The new ownership of Valiant brought Jim Shooter in as Editor-In-Chief in 2008 to be the architect of the return to publishing.

Valiant did not announce his hiring because it was going to be a major announcement when the books were ready to be ordered.

Valiant also believed they were close to obtaining the rights to create new stories for Magnus, Solar, and Turok... but they had relaunch plans for "with" and "without" the Gold Key characters. Before any of that happened, Jim Shooter left the Valiant offices and set up shop at Dark Horse with Magnus, Solar, and Turok.

Valiant sued Jim Shooter for breach of contract, but it was only an implied contract because Jim Shooter had been accepting payments for months. In the end, Valiant dropped the lawsuit and Dark Horse eventually dropped the Gold Key (or "Dark Key") comic lines that Shooter created.

It's unlikely that Jim Shooter would speak highly of Valiant... but a nine-figure investment and a release date for a movie are both more than the original Valiant ever saw... with or without Jim Shooter.

I'd hold out hope that he might say something like, "I'm happy for those guys... they did it their way and they appear to be doing well", but I wouldn't be surprised if he said something else entirely... possibly requiring censoring.

Throw a dollar at him, the man has fecht up more of his own deals than anyone

else in the history of comics. If he had kept his mouth shut and smiled instead

of thumping his own chest, he could be living in the big mansion.

Throw a dollar at him, the man has fecht up more of his own deals than anyone

else in the history of comics. If he had kept his mouth shut and smiled instead

of thumping his own chest, he could be living in the big mansion.

Stan Lee and Jim Shooter both architects of two great comic book universes.

One figured it out, while the other still has time. :wishluck:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Although an extensive discussion about the Valiant comic book universe, there are also parts about the movie efforts.

EXCLUSIVE: Valiant Execs On The Future Of The Valiant Universe On The Page And Screen

Dinesh Shamdasani: We're working on, for instance, the launch of the universe publishing wise. The 5 picture phase one that we have at Sony, we had that locked for over a year before we announced it. The 9 figure investment was another that we had that locked again a year before we announced it. Which is always funny because we announce these things then we're always excited and we're like we really want to talk about the thing that we're working on now. Which is why I'm a little distracted, because you mentioned movies, and my mind literally goes to all of the things I cannot say that I'm super excited about. I can't wait for the world to know because they're equally, if not larger than the things that you do know.

We can say that Sony is involved, and very aggressive about Valiant and they love the storytelling that we're putting out. That we have Bloodshot and Harbinger plans with sequels and the Harbinger Wars film. That Neal. Moritz, who is the producer of the Fast and the Furious franchise and the 21 Jump Street films and he produces a ton of movies. He's got Passengers coming up. Which is one of the best scripts in Hollywood He's in Bloodshot and Harbinger, and Harbinger Wars with us. David Leitch and Chad Stahelski from John Wick are directing Bloodshot. We're just looking at actors now. Bloodshot was in development for years before we announced it. We're right where we want to be with that film. Once we get into production you'll see us that is usually when we get comfortable enough to start one of the things. So I apologize I can't say more than has already been announced. Other than we're excited about it. It's a fantastic -script. I think they're great directors, perfect for this. We're really, really excited about the team we have.

Dinesh Shamdasani: Totally. One of the things that Warren and Fred and I talk about a lot is the fact that we don't make superhero comic books. We don't tell superhero stories. Our stories involve superheroes, but Ninjak is an espionage book. Bloodshot is a sci-fi action adventure. We're bringing that same point of view to the films. So the Bloodshot film has more in common with Terminator and Robocop and Total Recall, than it does superhero fare. In having a superhero at the center of it, but all of the other iconography, the tropes, the conventions the trappings of the film are in a different genre than I think people would expect from Bloodshot. But, this is the same thing that we do in the comic books as well. Which is try and do it subtly, so we're not hitting you over the head with it. So I think if you're a fan of the comic book you're definitely going to see that same tone and character up on the big screen. If you come to the big screen first, and then go to the comic book afterwards you'll see that same tone resonated in that same character appear in the book as well. I mean we're very conscious of, because we have a big voice in the process we're able to make sure that that happens.

Since Bloodshot was supposed to happen in 2017, any chance there will be news at SDCC on early development work? I am not seeing anything new lately with the Valiant movies.

Not yet anyway.

Could Arrow's Deadshot Actor Be Playing Valiant's Ninjak?

ninjak-the-valiant-copy-196966.jpg

While he might not have made his way to the big-screen Suicide Squad, Arrow's Michael Rowe is apparently not completely done with comic book roles just yet.

The actor recently tweeted something that teased his involvement with...something...from Valiant Entertainment. Along with his eyes and the company logo, Rowe hashtagged the image "#ninja."

There's definitely something up, though; in the comments below Rowe's tweet, Valiant CEO Dinesh Shamdasani wrote that he was excited about the project, and added the hashtag for New York Comic Con. Over on his own Twitter feed, he also retweeted a pair of reports that claimed he had tied the project to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers actor Jason David Frank and pro wrestler John Morrison.

vQPYXzi.png

This is most probably Super Power Beat Down. But it is really cool that Dinesh is involved.

:applause:

For a film that's supposed to come out in 2017, they're certainly slow-playing this.

We should know at least half the cast for Bloodshot right now, as well as shooting dates.

Seriously doubt we'll see anything before 2018.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. Which is a bummer.

But then again, I would rather they take their time and get this right the first time. So if bumping it out a year or two achieves that goal, we are the better for it.

:wishluck:

Nothing has been said officially, but I do believe that Bloodshot was announced with the John Wick directors BEFORE the announcement of John Wick 2. I think John Wick 2 probably changed the dates for Bloodshot.

I would like to see something good emerge out of this...

My reservations extend from the characters being lesser known than DC and Marvel properties and perhaps the audience for this genre are starting to feel worn out that they have "seen it all" already.

Valiant / Sony would have to REALLY step up their game to do something different in order to get that word of mouth.

With that said, I listed a few 1st Appearance Valiant Books on eBay at what I consider very strong prices and they have slowly been selling.

The Magnus 5 9.8 1st Rai for $200 was kind of surprising. I figured that someone would have made an offer. The buyer bought it outright then thanked me for it. Another 9.8 copy sold a few days later at auction for $91 and going by feedback it might be the same buyer. Maybe my buyer knows something that I don't and is buying them up.

So this is going to be a Super Power Beat Down series dedicated to Valiant.

Ninjak To Battle Other Valiant Heroes in New Webseries From Super Power Beat Down Creators

ninjak-the-valiant-copy-196966.jpg

Bat in the Sun, the online production hub best known for their superhero battle royale series Super Power Beat Down, will reportedly launch a webseries centered on Valiant Comics character Ninjak.

Bleeding Cool talked to sources who confirmed what many had assumed after a series of tweets over the weekend: that Michael Rowe, Jason David Frank, and pro wrestler John Morrison are all involved on some level with a web-based video project that will see Rowe star as Colin King, the hero known as Ninjak.

What's apparently in the offing is slightly more sophisticated than just Valiant finally getting representation in the fan-favorite fight series Super Power Beat Down, with Rowe's Ninjak fighting off various heroes of the Valiant Universe.

The project will apparently be officially announced at New York Comic Con.

:whee: