• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So you want to set up at a comic book convention....
2 2

298 posts in this topic

Fantastic thread with great info and insight - thanks for the effort on this!

A few Questions:

Given your very impressive wall inventory, do you think that the many $1 boxes detract from the keys on the wall?

Is the work involved with carting the $1 boxes worth it?

Again, thanks for posting this great info.

Doesn't detract at all. Allows us to cater to multiple buyers

And it is worth it imo

i'm seeing more and more dealers basically moving that $1 stock into $2 boxes and perhaps giving a better bulk discount and/or cutting the price on sunday, but maybe my perspective is distorted in that i tend to go to NYCC and some big shows

I didn't see a single $1 box at the last show I was at. Everything was starting at $2.

Motor City had a couple buy 2 for a $1 booths and I think I saw a 3 for $1 booth. That's a ton of volume to pay back the booth fee but it must work for them. I avoid these booths like the plague since they are all 90s drek. There is a $2 per book booth that frequents cons in my area that actually has some nice books so I stop there every time but its a ton of work to pull a decent book.

Edited by 1Cool

I didn't see a single $1 box at the last show I was at. Everything was starting at $2.

Motor City had a couple buy 2 for a $1 booths and I think I saw a 3 for $1 booth. That's a ton of volume to pay back the booth fee but it must work for them. I avoid these booths like the plague since they are all 90s drek. There is a $2 per book booth that frequents cons in my area that actually has some nice books so I stop there every time but its a ton of work to pull a decent book.

usually there is some good stuff in these boxes, but you have to do A LOT of work to get there. pulled some nice infinity gauntlet 3s out of a 2 for $1 box at NYCC

Why do the guys who do the least amount of shows write how to set up at comic conventions?

Maybe because the guys who do a lot of shows are too busy working.

but advice from a small time seller who does 2 shows a year has some value to someone in the same situation. very few of us here can do a show with wall books 2% as good as what GaTOR or you put up.

frankly, i have not set up at a show for about 15 years and all of them were within a 20 minute drive from my home (then in manhattan), so my experience is pretty useless here...

then to the store, where we load all the long boxes back to the sales floor and "eagerly" await the next show!!!

thank you for taking a look...

rick

Thanks for the insight, superb thread. :applause: I guess we won't be seeing you at the LSCC anytime soon. :(

Why do the guys who do the least amount of shows write how to set up at comic conventions?

I was just going to write a thread about setting up at a show... :cry:

I was just going to write a thread about setting up at a show... :cry:

When have you ever set up? I can't imagine you sitting still long enough to man a booth. You're all over the place at every con I see you at.

I think you would give better insight into a 80's metal fashion show setup.

:blush:

Bob saw my Costume party digs on Saturday night.

RNL.jpg

I will be setting up at a con for the first time next month. In the process of building a comic wall that can fit in a hatchback - meaning extra pieces, nuts and bolts, and everything essentially chopped in half for transport! ~ $100 in parts have been purchased. Build will commence Monday.