• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Search for George Olshevsky

11 posts in this topic

I bought several of his very cool Marvel Comic Index Books back in the early 80's. I found this about him.....he was apparently a dinosaur enthusiast and claimed to have a complete set of Marvels.......

Dinogeorge spent eight more years at Toronto working as a programmer for the university’s Computer Centre, preparing a doctoral dissertation, creating computer art and running computer art shows, and collecting Marvel Comics. The comics won out and the computer career was abandoned after he went into business publishing the Marvel Comics Index for other Marvel collectors. A dedicated Marvel collector, Dinogeorge had by 1977 assembled the world’s only complete (that’s every issue) collection of Marvel superhero comics that began with Marvel Comics #1, October/November 1939 (not just Fantastic Four #1). 

Anyway, where is he now? And what is he up to?

Red

He the same guy that did the X-Men Index, with the Brent Anderson cover that finished up in the mid-160's? It's got the Champions run also, and something else I can't quite remember

I bought several of his very cool Marvel Comic Index Books back in the early 80's. I found this about him.....he was apparently a dinosaur enthusiast and claimed to have a complete set of Marvels.......

Dinogeorge spent eight more years at Toronto working as a programmer for the university’s Computer Centre, preparing a doctoral dissertation, creating computer art and running computer art shows, and collecting Marvel Comics. The comics won out and the computer career was abandoned after he went into business publishing the Marvel Comics Index for other Marvel collectors. A dedicated Marvel collector, Dinogeorge had by 1977 assembled the world’s only complete (that’s every issue) collection of Marvel superhero comics that began with Marvel Comics #1, October/November 1939 (not just Fantastic Four #1). 

Anyway, where is he now? And what is he up to?

Red

I had never heard of him before I started doing a local Aniques market a few years back. I'd haul my comic stand and about 12 long boxes every 2nd Sunday. One day, a gentleman happened to notice one of my FF's (I believe 26) had a distinguishing mark in it -- George's initials. This fellow claimed that George did this to all his books. After he told me this, I didn't really want to sell the book any longer, even though he was really keen on having it. He would drop-by every so often asking if I was interested in selling any of Georges old books. I later discovered I had purchased, through a third-party, numerous books that belonged to him. I don't recall where they all came from, but I always thought that it was odd that this gentleman wanted them so badly. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I saw this thread title getting bumped, I immediately thought of the CBC archive footage. It's a real shame that outside of this footage (which is pretty amazing), there is not a lot out there about him.

Edited by comicwiz

I remember reading about him as a kid, in feature article in a weekend magazine distributed with the Hamilton Spectator. Maybe circa 1977?

For some dedicated researcher, that might be another archival source to go with the CBC footage.