• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE (2018)
4 4

249 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Early reviews of this are glowing.

Mashable: Critics confirm 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is pretty amazing

It's early yet, but 100% positive for its first 20 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. 

RT is now standing at 100% with 35 reviews.  The reviews are glowing for the most part and at worse the movie is surprising good.

I had been indifferent about seeing this.  I think that has changed.  I think I may even be excited now.

So I wanted to give my head-ups opinion of this movie, since I just saw it at a early showing today. I will try to stay away from spoiling the movie and try to stay "spoiler-free".:popcorn:

Okay, so to start, I have to give this movie 2 thumbs up and a 9.5/10! 

(thumbsu (thumbsu

The animation is well done, voice acting is superb and the story has very good flow, especially with the origin stories of each character. However, I am a little biased as I am a huge fan of Miles Morales and the creation of a mixed race character (especially being part Latino).

As for the rest of the cast/Spider-people, the movie builds on their strengths to incorporate each Spider-person appropriately. The main spider characters take front stage and the secondary characters have their good moments. As for the story, the movie takes stories from the "Ultimate" line of Spider-Man comics, and the Spider-Verse event, but definitely makes the movie story its own and does not try to replicate from any event stories from the comics.  

The comic book feel/animation of the movie is definitely a great strength. The animation is top notch and lets the movie use the animation as a strength in its almost realistic yet purposely cartoonish feel. With the animation, the plot is able to be incorporated in a way that live action could not. The animation also helps with the comedic part of the -script which, is some situations would not be as good in live action.

As for the bad, there really isn't much wrong with the movie. There is a touch of romance, that doesn't let the movie stray and is a little touching. With the key elements being Hero vs Villain, and making a huge emphasis on family (blood & spider related), there isn't much room for a love story as well, but that's okay. The story has it's fun moments, sad moments, surprise moments and little big of a sappy moments.

The music and score of the movie is spot on, as well. If you haven't listened Post Malone & Swae Lee's song for the movie, I would take a listen before you see the movie. As it was with Black Panther, there is a strong emphasis on Rap/Hip Hop music for the soundtrack. Thankfully, the music is used in a good way and not to distract you from relating to the character(s). If you don't like Rap/Hip Hop, I don't think that the type of music used will distract you from the movie. 

All in all, I was surprisingly happy with this movie, even with the previews and trailers making it look very good. I hope there is a sequel that takes other stars from the movie into their own spotlights, especially the women. As this movie I hope will attract a lot of younger & minority viewers to the big screen, I hope that the next movie will attract young girls & woman to the big screen and give them the idols they deserve from the Super Hero genre. 

Lastly, the Stan Lee cameo is great and subtle just like the live action movies. There is a nice quote/dedication to "Mr. Marvel" himself. 

I hope this enjoy this review of the movie & please go see this movie in theaters if you want to enjoy a good Marvel flick.  Adios!

(btw the reason I give it a 9.5/10 and not a straight 10 is due to missing a couple minutes of the movie from the movie theater crashing the movie a half hour into it :facepalm:).

On 11/29/2018 at 11:42 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

***Profanity warning:whatthe:

Really he shouldn't even waste his time responding. Success breeds jealousy. 

Personally, I always thought of his stuff as just slightly more original than most hip hop, which has become another big sellout borefest genre like all the rest, but that new song... man that is the best thing he's ever done. I really like that. 

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Two days out and still holding at 99% positive on RT -- 117 positive reviews to 1 negative.

So here's my problem with that number (same issues with sports voting for HOF or MVP)...

- Is this one person trying to be an outlier because they are thinking "no movie should be 100%"?

- Did they have valid reasoning to give it a negative review?

If anybody has this person's official review I'd love to see it.  Not saying they are right or wrong (it is an opinion after all) but it obviously is an outlier.