• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE (2018)
4 4

249 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...have you seen this yet?

You know Peter Parker's in it, right?

Yeah I've seen it, and no kidding.

As a barely interested, jaded fat old guy in the stereotypical, secondary "mentor" role of the supposedly "younger, trendier" version of the hero that I guess people still widely prefer the original and real version of leading their Spider-Man movies after all.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Into The Spider-Verse now at 4.0X production budget, which is definitely a huge financial win for Sony's Spider-Man Franchise.

DC_MCU_BO190217a.thumb.PNG.4c70f0d6c8453ddf0a924658796291f8.PNG

As wonderfully crafted as this movie is, and the very positive critic and blogger responses, I guess general audiences just view it as another animated movie. Even markets like China are below the norm for superhero movies.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Into The Spider-Verse now at 4.0X production budget, which is definitely a huge financial win for Sony's Spider-Man Franchise.

DC_MCU_BO190217a.thumb.PNG.4c70f0d6c8453ddf0a924658796291f8.PNG

As wonderfully crafted as this movie is, and the very positive critic and blogger responses, I guess general audiences just view it as another animated movie. Even markets like China are below the norm for superhero movies.

Wait...

So this film is already more profitable than Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3 and both Amazing Spider-Man films??

And it's nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Film?

But...I thought this cartoon would have been a better option for pay-for-view...you know, to minimize the chances of financial failure and damage to the Spider-Man brand...

27 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Wait...

So this film is already more profitable than Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3 and both Amazing Spider-Man films??

But...I thought this cartoon would have been a better option for pay-for-view...you know, to minimize the chances of financial failure and damage to the Spider-Man brand...

Who are you rallying against now that made all these points? :insane:

But yes, even though it is not some massive, billion-dollar hit this film is very profitable. And a critical and industry success from all the recognition.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Wait...

:roflmao:

This movie has barely broken even to marginally profitable. It made less than the Grinch on a bigger budget, less than Ralph 2 and barely more than LEGO batman which was also made for less and was considered a big disappointment.  It has also made HALF the lowest grossing "worse" Spider-Man movie.

It isn't a flop, per se, but it is definitely a financial disappointment, especially for a "Spider-man" movie, despite the over hyped foaming at the mouth rave reviews.  

Yes, this should have been a ~$30MM budgeted direct to video/pay per view release.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Ahhh. Now I see what is going on. :idea:

Do you know what the marketing was for this movie?  I read somewhere about $100MM worldwide.  Sony pushed this movie HARD and spent more on marketing for this than it did on Venom.   You think they're back flipping over $350Mm worldwide?  Probably not. 

-J.

10 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Do you know what the marketing was for this movie?  I read somewhere about $100MM worldwide.  Sony pushed this movie HARD and spent more on marketing for this than it did on Venom.   You think they're back flipping over $350Mm worldwide?  Probably not. 

-J.

I try to avoid the profit prediction analysis. There are so many hidden details we just don't have access to until later on (if at all).

Remember when the thinking was Spider-Man: Homecoming was going to be a far more profitable film over Wonder Woman because it had a higher box office? There was even the assumption in no way was SM:H's marketing budget $140M.

WW_vs_SMH01.thumb.PNG.86bf53adc5d1de3c3ec5e5dd908b0b3f.PNG

Turns out SM:H's marketing budget was $157M, and Wonder Woman was more profitable by $52.8M. Who saw that coming?

Better to stick with the sales tracking and cheering these movies on. Sites like Deadline will sort out profit reality afterwards.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I try to avoid the profit prediction analysis. There are so many hidden details we just don't have access to until later on (if at all).

Remember when the thinking was Spider-Man: Homecoming was going to be a far more profitable film over Wonder Woman because it had a higher box office? There was even the assumption in no way was SM:H's marketing budget $140M.

WW_vs_SMH01.thumb.PNG.86bf53adc5d1de3c3ec5e5dd908b0b3f.PNG

Turns out SM:H's marketing budget was $157M, and Wonder Woman was more profitable by $52.8M. Who saw that coming?

Better to stick with the sales tracking and cheering these movies on. Sites like Deadline will sort out profit reality afterwards.

True but mainly because WW had a better domestic to foreign split.

Spiderverse had a budget nearly Venom, higher marketing, and made $500MM less money.  Even with Venom's great multiplier, even it netted about $175MM to Sony.  

So it doesn't take a master accountant using basic movie math to see that spider verse underperformed, even relative to other cartoons released this year.  

-J.

28 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

True but mainly because WW had a better domestic to foreign split.

Spiderverse had a budget nearly Venom, higher marketing, and made $500MM less money.  Even with Venom's great multiplier, even it netted about $175MM to Sony.  

So it doesn't take a master accountant using basic movie math to see that spider verse underperformed, even relative to other cartoons released this year.  

-J.

Not sure if you are celebrating Sony not making more or not. But good on Sony for investing what it should have to make Into The Spider-Verse animation that much sharper. Right?

I did expect this movie to take off more. And at this point adults should be used to animated comic book-influenced movies like Incredibles, Incredibles 2, etc. Not sure why it isn't higher, as the quality is solid.

30 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Not sure if you are celebrating Sony not making more or not. But good on Sony for investing what it should have to make Into The Spider-Verse animation that much sharper. Right?

I did expect this movie to take off more. And at this point adults should be used to animated comic book-influenced movies like Incredibles, Incredibles 2, etc. Not sure why it isn't higher, as the quality is solid.

I thought it was okay.  Maybe the foaming at the mouth rave reviews raised my expectations too high.  "Best spider man movie ever" was laying it on thick.  I just don't know if the movie under performed due to Spider-fatigue, if people just didn't care for this "version" of "Spider-man",  or what. That's what I'm worried about. The former would have been less of a concern if it was a DTV release like it should have been.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

7 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Wait...

i expect the Academy Award acceptance speech to include an apology for the film not going direct to video #RT29rules

Curious how anyone could think this *under-performed* since its budget-to-sales revenue is higher than more than half the live-action Spider-Man films.

It's Sony Animation's top domestic earner ever (besting Hotel Transyvania and Hotel Transyvania 2).

It beat another kid-friendly holiday release -- Mary Poppins Returns -- by every measure.

And, like Wonder Woman, more than 50% of its take so far has been domestic, so the studio % revenue will be higher than had it made most of its money overseas.

Sure, they likely spent a lot on marketing. But given the amazing critical, awards, and audience reviews, it will also do at least another $100 million on home release.

Will it make the cut-off for Deadline's 2018 reporting? Probably not.

But to suggest that a film budgeted at $90 million is *barely profitable* at 4x in theatrical alone (and counting) and is setting both studio and awards records - is absurd.

53 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Curious how anyone could think this *under-performed* since its budget-to-sales revenue is higher than more than half the live-action Spider-Man films.

It's Sony Animation's top domestic earner ever (besting Hotel Transyvania and Hotel Transyvania 2).

It beat another kid-friendly holiday release -- Mary Poppins Returns -- by every measure.

And, like Wonder Woman, more than 50% of its take so far has been domestic, so the studio % revenue will be higher than had it made most of its money overseas.

Sure, they likely spent a lot on marketing. But given the amazing critical, awards, and audience reviews, it will also do at least another $100 million on home release.

Will it make the cut-off for Deadline's 2018 reporting? Probably not.

But to suggest that a film budgeted at $90 million is *barely profitable* at 4x in theatrical alone (and counting) and is setting both studio and awards records - is absurd.

This isn't rocket science-

All in budget- $190MM

Domestic- $183MM @ 50%= $92MM

China- $63MM @ 25% = $15MM

Other Territories- $110MM @ 40%= $44MM

Total net to Sony- $151MM

That would be a NEGATIVE (-$39MM) theatrical take.

Ruh-roh!

The only reason this isn't considered a flop is because of its foaming at the mouth rave reviews, which, unfortunately, did not translate into $ at the box office but "might" help it in the home video market (which, *ahem*, is where it should have been released on one third the budget). That it made somewhat more than even bigger box office disappointments (MP and Bumblebee) is irrelevant.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Here's a reliable source noting a global marketing budget of $115 million for Into the Spiderverse.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/nike-ebay-mcdonalds-spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-marketing-campaign-1202511158/

Oh wait, never mind.

It cites $115M worth of worldwide branding paid for by top-tier advertisers, including McDonalds, Synchrony Bank, the Ad Council, Genting Cruise Lines, Nike, General Mills, eBay, Hasbro, Tencent, Vodafone, Garmin, Adobe, and more.

#MovieMathIsHard

Just watched it last night. Like most everyone else, I really liked it. I got to wondering afterwards ... seeing as I haven't really read Spider-man in about 3 decades, I have no idea whether the movie holds true to the comics. I know who Miles Morales is, and I know Gwen is from an alternate universe ... but that's about the extent of my knowledge on those characters. So did the movie follow the comic (whichever that comic is, I don't know)?