• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE (2018)
4 4

249 posts in this topic

I find myself wanting to spontaneously watch it when I'm scrolling through my streaming application and it pops into my view... And when my 4yr old is around, I selfishly inflect my voice and ask "Do you want to watch spider-man?!"

Some of the stuff she forces me to watch is pure torture...

Edited by Callaway29

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

I find myself wanting to spontaneously watch it when I'm scrolling through my streaming application and it pops into my view... And when my 4yr old is around, I selfishly inflect my voice and ask "Do you want to watch spider-man?!"

Some of the stuff she forces me to watch is pure torture...

When my daughter was four I got to watch every episode of Barney and Blue's Clues twice,  Welcome to fatherhood.  lol.

:preach:

On 3/20/2019 at 7:14 AM, Callaway29 said:

The other studios sure seem to be figuring things out lately, each with their own style. Was only a matter of time I suppose. Some cross-pollination may be contributing as well.

Yep, seems like DC and Sony are catching up. Which is good as that means more quality super hero movies for us. (thumbsu

I liked it better than Spider-Man: Homecoming, but that's damning with faint praise.

If I were 9 I might have thought it was pretty cool, ah well.

Into The Spider-Verse should be wrapping up now, and sits at 4.2X production budget which is an easy financial win. Add to this the 4 major awards, and Sony landed a solid success story.

• 2019 Academy Award - Animated Feature Film
  • 2019 British Academy of Film and Television Award - Animated Film
  • 2019 Producers Guild of America - Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Picture
  • 2019 Golden Globes - Best Motion Picture, Animated

DC_MCU_BO190411a.thumb.PNG.1aa72a60976a5b3678e969dc703cca05.PNG

:applause:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Into The Spider-Verse should be wrapping up now, and sits at 4.2X production budget which is an easy financial win. Add to this the 4 major awards, and Sony landed a solid success story.

• 2019 Academy Award - Animated Feature Film
  • 2019 British Academy of Film and Television Award - Animated Film
  • 2019 Producers Guild of America - Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Picture
  • 2019 Golden Globes - Best Motion Picture, Animated

DC_MCU_BO190411a.thumb.PNG.1aa72a60976a5b3678e969dc703cca05.PNG

:applause:

Nope.  Not even close.  

All in- ~$190MM

Worldwide Gross-  $375MM 

Domestic- $190MM @ 50% = $95MM

China-  $63MM @ 25%= $15.75MM

Other Foreign Territories-  $122MM @ 40%= $49MM

Total Net to Studio- $160MM

Net Theatrical LOSS to Studio-  (-$30MM)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Sony is working on at least two spin-off films already. I have a feeling the profit is there.

"Some" profit may be realized on the ancillary end. And talk off spin off films were announced early.  Will they actually follow through or be released theatrically now that the final numbers are in?  Who knows.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

22 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

"Some" profit may be realized on the ancillary end. And talk off spin off films were announced early.  Will they actually follow through or be released theatrically now that the final numbers are in?  Who knows.  

-J.

The spin-off films WERE NOT announced prior to Spider-Verse's release. It was recently this came out.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The spin-off films WERE NOT announced prior to Spider-Verse's release. It was recently this came out.

Actually, they were originally announced in November/December of last year. 

I'm happy to provide you links if necessary.  

At this point I suspect whatever does happen will be either TV or the lower budget direct to video route that I said this should have also been from the beginning. 

-J.

27 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

At this point I suspect whatever does happen will be either TV or the lower budget direct to video route that I said this should have also been from the beginning. 

-J.

Sure. Post the Spider-Ham and Spider-Noir articles. Oh, I'll do it for you. :flamed:

March 19, 2019 - Spider Noir in development

December 16, 2018 - Spider-Ham and other spin-offs now in the works

Where there was talk of potential sequels if it did well, these came after 12/3/18 world premiere very positive reactions. 

Edited by Bosco685

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse added some more hardware to the trophy case yesterday with a win at the Saturn Awards. This win comes after a massive victory at the Oscars for Best Animated Feature. Fans and critics alike absolutely loved Miles Morales' adventures with all of the other Spider-People. The win came in a field of worthy challengers including

That stacked field couldn't quite keep up with one of the most original comic book movies to ever be produced. Sony almost immediately announced plans to launch a bunch of spin-off movies featuring the characters. Audiences wanted more of Miles Morales' adventures, and they're going to get a movie continuing that story. But, Phil Lord and company have so much more planned.

:banana:

Edited by Bosco685

On 4/11/2019 at 10:57 AM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

:whistle: