• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OFFICIAL bloodshot (2017) Movie thread Bloodshot only

408 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Just made the train... so that means there are no seats so you sit on the floor like I am as well as the woman in front of me... 

or you can get bounced about as this express barrels through out East on the island. 

3,905 days to go. 

image.jpg

That is insane

It gets bad here too (Toronto)

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It doesn't even matter what that countdown is for... because it's weird. lol

(Though, I'll guess it's retirement.)

Retirement 😢 

I honestly think the bigger comparison here is the Universal Monsters “universe” or whatever that failure was... they wanted to run before they could walk and figured they’d announce this whole lineup/universe and it would be so easy to replicate what Marvel had done.  Yeah.. no.

While I’m not overly familiar with the valiant books (other than just knowing the basic characters and having read some books) I like the idea that they seem focused here on attempting to make a quality (if a bit formulaic) action movie. If they do it well they can expand from there. But you have to do the first thing well to start or nothing works after that.  

This doesn’t have to set up everything, but it has to be a good movie that everything can be built upon.

Edited by fmaz

Here's the problem with the forum and not the movies. 

Everything is "this is not Marvel" "this isn't the MCU" "where's blank blank"

I wish they would be as critical of those movies as they are of everything else that isn't a marvel movie.

2 minutes and everyone here can decide - oh i won't see it blah blah

imagine if your wife or significant other based their opinion on your two minutes - how many would have purchased a ticket to the show? :insane:

If moving forward I decided to compare everything to Goodfellas, or 8 1/2 or maybe the Dark Knight I wouldn't see CARP

you don't love film you love being told what to love and the reason why, then you go on every chatboard social media site and repeat the same over and over

get original 

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I wish they would be as critical of those movies as they are of everything else that isn't a marvel movie.

imagine if your wife or significant other based their opinion on your two minutes - how many would have purchased a ticket to the show? :insane:

If moving forward I decided to compare everything to Goodfellas, or 8 1/2 or maybe the Dark Knight I wouldn't see CARP

you don't love film you love being told what to love and the reason why, then you go on every chatboard social media site and repeat the same over and over

get original 

I've noted this before, but not to be confrontational. It's just a fact.

This is a Marvel-heavy forum. People can say otherwise. But when a new Marvel production comes out, you get many talking about the money to be made, their love of the characters, how they've waited years for this, etc. Which is totally okay.

With other company TV shows or films, it's either a very limited scope of folks with real interest in non-Marvel. Or, concerns a new franchise is not following the Marvel Formula (so it will fail).

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

get original 

Or...maybe we love comic books and want to see our childhood favorites done justice.

Not everything needs to follow the (usual) Marvel template. Nor should it.

But what I hate more than anything else is the blatant missed opportunities showcased by projects.

Superhero films can be done right (and well) on a shoestring. Example? Dredd. It lost the studio tens of millions but was faithful to the character and a fun 95 minutes.

But this looks like a B-movie knock-off of Upgrade, which, despite itself being a B movie and about as small a film as one could get (reported $3 million production cost), was *exceedingly* well-written and well-done.

*Highly* recommended for anyone who liked (or even didn't like) but watched / plans to watch Venom or Bloodshot.

17 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Or...maybe we love comic books and want to see our childhood favorites done justice.

Spoiler

Not everything needs to follow the (usual) Marvel template. Nor should it.

But what I hate more than anything else is the blatant missed opportunities showcased by projects.

Superhero films can be done right (and well) on a shoestring. Example? Dredd. It lost the studio tens of millions but was faithful to the character and a fun 95 minutes.

But this looks like a B-movie knock-off of Upgrade, which, despite itself being a B movie and about as small a film as one could get (reported $3 million production cost), was *exceedingly* well-written and well-done.

*Highly* recommended for anyone who liked (or even didn't like) but watched / plans to watch Venom or Bloodshot.

I can respect someone being so big a fan, they get overly excited if a production doesn't fit their expectations.

But when that view comes with the expectation the film must follow the framework of another studio or it just won't work, that can miss the mark at times. Look at your view on Joker. It had no audience. It was going to be a domestic limited audience win, but not work for the overseas market. How'd that turn out?

And you and I went round-and-round with Batman v Superman with your opinion it was so horrible, you had to ensure all other board members were warned off from seeing it. And to ensure WB suffered financially so it got the message to do it like the MCU. Over time, the DC films found their way after listening too much to the loudest voices (critics, bloggers).

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Or, concerns a new franchise is not following the Marvel Formula (so it will fail).

I've seen this over and over and over

example the Batman movie is doomed already 

people are dumb

Trailer looked good to me. It's hard for me to form a "real" opinion of the movie until I actually see it and I can't wait to see this movie.  I've been a Valiant fan of their comics since they first came out.  I have nearly all of the first series and a bunch of graded ones.
They are really great reading!!! I certainly hope Bloodshot does well at the box office so other Valiant movies will be made.  
I think It's going to be a tough draw because it seems like everything spins around Marvel and DC and this does not have that much name recognition outside the comic book world of people. 
I just know I'll have an advance ticket and popcorn ready to sit down and enjoy.

Edited by musicmeta

On 10/21/2019 at 3:23 PM, Gatsby77 said:

with the amazing BWS cover, was probably the high-water mark for the character.

That "amazing" cover has one critical flaw - Bloodshot's open mouth and teeth! FUGLY! I thought it might have something to do with the chromium process itself, but then I saw the original artwork and, nope, BWS put that smile full of old graveyard with slipping tombstones together himself.

It's amazing all right, and not in a good way!

:eek:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I can respect someone being so big a fan, they get overly excited if a production doesn't fit their expectations.

But when that view comes with the expectation the film must follow the framework of another studio or it just won't work, that can miss the mark at times. Look at your view on Joker. It had no audience. It was going to be a domestic limited audience win, but not work for the overseas market. How'd that turn out?

And you and I went round-and-round with Batman v Superman with your opinion it was so horrible, you had to ensure all other board members were warned off from seeing it. And to ensure WB suffered financially so it got the message to do it like the MCU. Over time, the DC films found their way after listening too much to the loudest voices (critics, bloggers).

Except... *I've* never said a superhero film should fit the Marvel template. I'm for quality. Full stop. - Even if it has a limited audience. Example - I thought Watchmen (the movie) was superb. And had an extraordinarily limited audience *because* it was made for fans, not the general audience. (And that they did away with the godawful squid.)

And sure, DC has certainly found its way - with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam, certainly.

But that still doesn't justify their atrocious missteps in going from The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises to the wretched abominations that were BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad.

Especially because the solo Flash movie seems to be collateral damage of those former two. Or maybe Warner Bros. is still gun-shy a full decade after Green Lantern. Here's hoping Joker's success paves the way for The Flash.

The fact remains - we went from planned films including "Justice League Pt. 2," "Cyborg" and "Flash" to "just kidding scratch all that -- here's Robert Pattinson and his not-so-amazing friends."

47 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Except... *I've* never said a superhero film should fit the Marvel template. I'm for quality. Full stop. - Even if it has a limited audience. Example - I thought Watchmen (the movie) was superb. And had an extraordinarily limited audience *because* it was made for fans, not the general audience. (And that they did away with the godawful squid.)

And sure, DC has certainly found its way - with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam, certainly.

But that still doesn't justify their atrocious missteps in going from The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises to the wretched abominations that were BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad.

Especially because the solo Flash movie seems to be collateral damage of those former two. Or maybe Warner Bros. is still gun-shy a full decade after Green Lantern. Here's hoping Joker's success paves the way for The Flash.

The fact remains - we went from planned films including "Justice League Pt. 2," "Cyborg" and "Flash" to "just kidding scratch all that -- here's Robert Pattinson and his not-so-amazing friends."

BVS was not an abomination. The theatrical cut was poorly edited due to senior executives second-guessing a 3-hour film. But even hardcore comic book fans on the forum ranked it higher than you do.

BvS_CGC_poll.png.c1e4e5cf32fa7d7c31c2acf471a89a74.png

Now with the next two films, that was all repercussions from critics and bloggers coming down hard on WB about BVS, leading to six (6) cuts of the film being made to figure out what to release to appease them. Justice League only made it worse. But at least with SS it was such a massive financial success due to the attraction of certain actors and characters, that was its saving grace leading to a spin-off and follow-up (sequel or otherwise).

The franchise plan coming off the rails because of all that protest leaves us with the new Worlds of DC films. So there is definitely a silver lining to a really bumpy ride.

Edited by Bosco685

8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

get original 

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I've noted this before, but not to be confrontational. It's just a fact.

This is a Marvel-heavy forum. People can say otherwise. But when a new Marvel production comes out, you get many talking about the money to be made, their love of the characters, how they've waited years for this, etc. Which is totally okay.

With other company TV shows or films, it's either a very limited scope of folks with real interest in non-Marvel. Or, concerns a new franchise is not following the Marvel Formula (so it will fail).

I think where you are both wrong is that it is not so much that they are going to compare it to a Marvel movie but that they will compare the characters to what has come before it.   Even DC admitted that the danger in introducing Darkseid was that moviegoers would compare him to Thanos even though Darkseid came first in the comics. 

Once in awhile I reread my Eternal Warrior books.  Outside of Spider-man which I am a one and done comic reader, I only saved the Eternal Warrior run.  A lot of stories still hold up well.  In fact if you search eBay, I was the guy that just picked up the Eternal Warrior 11 slab for $5 and change.   That was the first EW book I ever bought... then I went back and got everything and continued with everything moving forward. 

As much as I enjoy the character I look at the title as a Highlander based comic character (Yes I know about Vandal Savage but I felt EW was closer to Highlander.)  Instead of fighting for the prize of mortality, EW fought for the Earth.  Either case they were virtuous characters looking to protect innocents (especially as the Highlander films morphed into the TV show). 

In any event, people are going to compare new things to what they are most acquainted with that was introduced beforehand.   Once they bring out ANY character in a suit of armor, your movie audience is going to compare it to Iron Man.  I don't think so much that is anything to do with this being a Marvel heavy forum but that Marvel has made the biggest impact in the superhero genre with the largest cast of characters.   If anyone introduced anything close to an Alien God Character in a cape they will automatically compare it to Superman.  It's just the way it is. 

I think where you are both wrong is that it is not so much that they are going to compare it to a Marvel movie but that they will compare the characters to what has come before it.   Even DC admitted that the danger in introducing Darkseid was that moviegoers would compare him to Thanos even though Darkseid came first in the comics. 

Spoiler

Once in awhile I reread my Eternal Warrior books.  Outside of Spider-man which I am a one and done comic reader, I only saved the Eternal Warrior run.  A lot of stories still hold up well.  In fact if you search eBay, I was the guy that just picked up the Eternal Warrior 11 slab for $5 and change.   That was the first EW book I ever bought... then I went back and got everything and continued with everything moving forward. 

As much as I enjoy the character I look at the title as a Highlander based comic character (Yes I know about Vandal Savage but I felt EW was closer to Highlander.)  Instead of fighting for the prize of mortality, EW fought for the Earth.  Either case they were virtuous characters looking to protect innocents (especially as the Highlander films morphed into the TV show). 

In any event, people are going to compare new things to what they are most acquainted with that was introduced beforehand.   Once they bring out ANY character in a suit of armor, your movie audience is going to compare it to Iron Man.  I don't think so much that is anything to do with this being a Marvel heavy forum but that Marvel has made the biggest impact in the superhero genre with the largest cast of characters.   If anyone introduced anything close to an Alien God Character in a cape they will automatically compare it to Superman.  It's just the way it is. 

We would be wrong if not for what people post in these threads.

Anyone that has spent a decent amount of time in this area reading what people post can see for themselves when 'do it like the MCU' comments land. Some more hardcore about it than others. And not to take away from the MCU, as what it achieved with Feige's leadership over the years is incredible. But pushing that approach as the defacto mold misses the mark there are different ways of achieving a larger universe.

So no. It's not about who did it first. It's about referring back to such details. And no, I will not pick on someone and start posting examples.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

We would be wrong if not for what people post in these threads.

Anyone that has spent a decent amount of time in this area reading what people post can see for themselves when 'do it like the MCU' comments land. Some more hardcore about it than others. And not to take away from the MCU, as what it achieved with Feige's leadership over the years is incredible. But pushing that approach as the defacto mold misses the mark there are different ways of achieving a larger universe.

So no. It's not about who did it first. It's about referring back to such details. And no, I will not pick on someone and start posting examples.

Oh I am not asking you to. 

I am wrong then.   I thought we were talking about the alleged "ripping off" of a character and not so much the 'ripping off' of the movie making process itself or the procedure of the storyline.  That's why I used the Darkseid / Thanos comparison. 

Oh I am not asking you to. 

I am wrong then.   I thought we were talking about the alleged "ripping off" of a character and not so much the 'ripping off' of the movie making process itself or the procedure of the storyline.  That's why I used the Darkseid / Thanos comparison. 

No offense meant or taken. I get your valid point where certain characteristics and approaches can be referenced back to a previous production at times. Although I never read where WB/DC was concerned rolling out Darkseid because of the MCU Thanos character. But it would be naturally for the general audience to assume this was copying a character, no matter how many comic books you pull out and point 'BUT HE CAME FIRST!'

I like how Young Justice rolled out Darkseid where there was no confusion with Thanos who you were dealing with. He is god-like, truly evil and yet far distant from the minions he sends out to deliver his plans like Granny Goodness and G. Gordon Godfrey. Such a fantastic show.