• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need to beat the SCS horse again..my ASM #57 got wedgied.

53 posts in this topic

Well, I recently won a CGC copy of ASM #57 7.5 Green River on comiclink.

And for the record.. yes the photo is a picture of the book as it was when I pulled it out of the Mailer. No experiments here. I am not that crazy to mess with a GR book.

Redhook pointed out it was slabbed in January... about as recent a slab as possible.

So I assume the book was very recently mailed 3 times.. from Sarasota back to the submitter... then from the submiter to CL after I paid.... then to me from CL.

I have no answer for what to do about this Slab Damage problem. I wish I did. In fact I just spoke with Steve yesterday about overhang, and chipping.. and when is a book returned to the submitter. I asked about innerwell sizes, and how they fit a book.

Edit.. What I am calling a wedge in this post, is really part of the innerwell.. my bad

The damage the ASM #57 has recieved is indeed minor, but it is there., and is safe to say was not there pre slabbing.

It is direct result from being in the slab with a wedge. From slamming against the top edge wedge wall, and the indented, open part near the outside allowed the comic to go past the wedge where it is open air.. hence it bending the top back cover where it met the wedge wall.

Steve. B. How was it decided that leaving the wedge ends open would be better then leaving it solid all the way across the top, or bottom of the comic well? I assume there was a reason why it evolved that that way.

Because the book is able to angle itself in the well slightly.. which allows that top left corner to go higher then the right side of the book..hence it bending back a portion of the top back cover where it met the wedge wall, since the corner went farther up into the open area where the wedge ends.

I am mainly just bummed the book now has a indented top edge. Really bummed. And would be open once again to discuss how to best slab the comics we love. So the slab protects the comic as well as it was intended to.

Ze-

asmdarkscssmall.JPG

asmdarkscs.JPG

There is a new inner well design for Moderns, but nothing for pre75 books yet confused-smiley-013.gif

And there never will be.

75 is indeed the cut off. And no valuable books will ever go in the new holder ever. Even if post 75

Staple pull is a bigger concern on pre 75 books, and is the biggest factor I believe.

Did they change printing methods, materials.. as well as page count that year?

Anybody?

Ze-

You keep mentioning "the wedge". I don't see a wedge at the top. What wedge are you referring to? I have slabs that have wedges in them and I don't see a wedge here.

Oops... that was what I call the wedge, guess I was wrong. foreheadslap.gif

I too have seen the other type of wedge, oh well..

Anyhow.. whatever you call it the top edge of the innerwell is the part in question.. whatever we call it.

Ze-

You keep mentioning "the wedge". I don't see a wedge at the top. What wedge are you referring to? I have slabs that have wedges in them and I don't see a wedge here.

Oops... that was what I call the wedge, guess I was wrong. foreheadslap.gif

I too have seen the other type of wedge, oh well..

Anyhow.. whatever you call it the top edge of the innerwell is the part in question.. whatever we call it.

Ze-

thumbsup2.gif

I think what you're calling the wedge would be better referred to as the edge, as there are actual wedges that are inserted in some slabs (I know you know this).

That sucks. frown.gif

It would have sucked alot more if it was in the 9.x range. frown.gif

I think the book would have graded out a solid 9.0/ 9.2 , but there appears to be a BB hole that indented and tore the cover a bit.

Right smack dab in the middle of Spidey's back.

Or at least it looks like it was a BB gun hole type impact, that did not have enough pumps in it to go through the book.

Ah, this is why I honestly enjoy the PGX slabs. SCS or anything like it isn't an issue.

Well not to sound like the broken record that I am.

And 6 months ago I would have agreed with you 100%. But the more I learn, the more I talk with people about the SCS topic, and how best to store a comic in a holder like this.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no ONE definitive holder on the market today that lends itself to to protect the wide variety of books being placed in them.

GA, SA, BA, Moderns.

Fat, skinny, mis cut, overhang, 100, 80 pagers , Annuals and all the other multitude sizes of books being placed in the well.

Does anyone have first hand experience with SA /BA books in a PGX slab?.. be they 100 pagers, or any other size? And how they have worn, and what type of comics PGX will slab in that holder.. or will not?

Because I do agree that the tapered well is not good for a hard edged spine like those found on a squarebound book..

And SA books that are prone to staple pulls.. also would seem to not benefit from a tapered well.

With that said.. I also do not think the current hard well wall is exactly user friendly to the comics either.

So I will go with what we have, and hope for improvements.

Ze-

There is a new inner well design for Moderns, but nothing for pre75 books yet confused-smiley-013.gif

And there never will be.

75 is indeed the cut off. And no valuable books will ever go in the new holder ever. Even if post 75

Staple pull is a bigger concern on pre 75 books, and is the biggest factor I believe.

That's a compelling hypothesis about why they're only using that new design for post-1975 books that could very likely be right. You sound rather sure of it...did Steve tell you something to lead you to believe that's the way they're doing it?

i've been thinking about this for a while. I have about 15 books with some amount of slab damage. what makes it worse is that of these books none is graded lower than 9.4 and the majority are 9.8s.

fortunately, none of the damage to these books is severe. just slight presses that seem as if they could be fixed with the tip of your finger.

someone mentioned earlier in this thread that cgc was going to offer a service to correct scs. i believe they were joking, but is it that unrealistic for them to do this?

my concern with cracking a slab and fixing the problem myself is that i no longer have any grade guarantee. but it seems reasonable that someone from cgc could crack open my slab, press (no pun intended-it's just the most appropriate word) the dent out and reholder it with the same grade.

i would love to hear everyones thoughts and i would be particularly interested if someone from cgc could chime in (i have my fingers crossed, but don't worry everyone i am not holding my breath).

Ah, this is why I honestly enjoy the PGX slabs. SCS or anything like it isn't an issue.

Well not to sound like the broken record that I am.

And 6 months ago I would have agreed with you 100%. But the more I learn, the more I talk with people about the SCS topic, and how best to store a comic in a holder like this.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no ONE definitive holder on the market today that lends itself to to protect the wide variety of books being placed in them.

GA, SA, BA, Moderns.

Fat, skinny, mis cut, overhang, 100, 80 pagers , Annuals and all the other multitude sizes of books being placed in the well.

Does anyone have first hand experience with SA /BA books in a PGX slab?.. be they 100 pagers, or any other size? And how they have worn, and what type of comics PGX will slab in that holder.. or will not?

Because I do agree that the tapered well is not good for a hard edged spine like those found on a squarebound book..

And SA books that are prone to staple pulls.. also would seem to not benefit from a tapered well.

With that said.. I also do not think the current hard well wall is exactly user friendly to the comics either.

So I will go with what we have, and hope for improvements.

Ze-

I have had an early Amazing Spider-Man issue in the new CGG holder survive two international trips across the Atlantic, plus at least one cross-country trip, with ZERO damage to the book. No pulled staples whatsoever, and we're talking about early silver age Marvel paper that is about as flimsy as it comes.

I have more CGC graded books with SCS than I care to count. My TOS #52 couldn't make it in a single trip to me from Texas without getting the entire top edge chewed up by the slab. frustrated.gif

As I've said before...

Better to have a corner ding than a staple pull.

I still wish they could come up with something better. frown.gif

As soon as I see ONE book with a pulled staple caused by the old holder or PGX's new holder, I'll start to take these concerns seriously. Until then, it's a weak excuse for keeping a brutally flawed case design. No offense to you Dice, but this excuse just really gets me mad.