• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Global Shipping Service?? WTF is that??

118 posts in this topic

I use GSP for two reasons:

1. There are many people who won't ship overseas. Obvious by this thread. That's makes completion smaller and this people will pay a premium, more or less, for a book.

2. All I am required to do is get it to Kentucky. I have been told ebay opens the package and repackages it in their packaging. I don't have proof one way or the other, but I always ship in a cardboard box or mailer. Doesn't cost me much and haven't had any comaints, yet.

Not sure why you would not buy from someone because they have GSP listed? I have had international people message me and ask if I can ship it otherwise and say yes, it will cost X amount.

You're not sure because you don't see the outrageous customs fees listed in addition to the shipping cost.

Sample:

New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8

Price: $899.99

Shipping to Canada: $31.89 (not too bad)

IMPORT FEES: $128.98

I collect large statues, and bigger items get much worse:

Sideshow Captain America Premium Format

Price: $1199.99

Shipping: $96.08

Import Charges: $209.18

1. There are many people who won't ship overseas. Obvious by this thread. That's makes completion smaller and this people will pay a premium, more or less, for a book.

2. All I am required to do is get it to Kentucky. I have been told ebay opens the package and repackages it in their packaging. I don't have proof one way or the other, but I always ship in a cardboard box or mailer. Doesn't cost me much and haven't had any comaints, yet.

Not sure why you would not buy from someone because they have GSP listed? I have had international people message me and ask if I can ship it otherwise and say yes, it will cost X amount.

You're not sure because you don't see the outrageous customs fees listed in addition to the shipping cost.

Sample:

New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8

So the statue costs about what a decent hooker costs you and the Import Charge is about the cost of a good tip.

Sample:

New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8

So the statue costs about what a decent hooker costs you and the Import Charge is about the cost of a good tip.

Shipping is the tip. Import fees are to get her to untie you.

I recently helped a buyer, on eBay, get some of the White Dwarf magazines I have sale who lives in Australia. For me to ship all of those books would cost me a lot to ship, but with the program it didn't cost me much as I sent them Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium. The buyer was real happy with them and how much I helped him to get them by combining them into one sale, were as I usually ship singly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Dwarf-Issue-18-19-20-22-23-25-28-30-31-/261811319023?rd=1

...and that, kids, is how it's done right. :thumbsup:

Not really - the buyer paid a higher shipping cost than it would have been if Gatchaman had just mailed the books directly and undoubtedly got nailed with customs fees too.

In this day & age, there's absolutely no reason not to offer international shipping in your eBay listings - USPS priority mail offers tracking to most countries which qualifies you for seller protection, the paperwork can be filled out online (and isn't particularly more complex than domestic paperwork) and the mailman will pick up your international packages just as well as your domestic ones.

The GSP, however, is a giant ripoff for overseas buyers.

I'm on the record here as a GSP hater. I find it loathsome, and will not buy from sellers who use it.

Period.

What a lot here seem to be missing is the elephant in the room.

All packages shipped to the GSP hub in Kentucky are opened there!

The USPS doesn't open outgoing packages unless it has a reasonable suspicion that something's "not right". When a package is opened by the USPS, pretty strict guidelines have to be followed in order that there are no "shenanigans".

EVERY package shipped to Kentucky is opened, to "check". meh

Yeah, right. I'd love to believe that their facility, when it comes to opening packages, is held to the same standard as the USPS.

I doubt it though.

Leaving all this aside, how comfortable are you as a seller with the notion that someone else is going to repackage your carefully constructed parcel?

Sample:

New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8

hm Just curious how you know so much about this Roy? I think Louise needs to go with you on every trip from now on. :grin:

Linky

Relevant extract:

"Under the eBay program, sellers mail items to a Pitney Bowes warehouse in Erlanger, Ky., where employees open and repackage items, billing the buyers — not sellers — for shipping and customs fees. A handling fee is added into the charges, but neither eBay nor Pitney Bowes would disclose how the fee is calculated."

Bolded for emphasis.

Linky

Relevant extract:

"Under the eBay program, sellers mail items to a Pitney Bowes warehouse in Erlanger, Ky., where employees open and repackage items, billing the buyers — not sellers — for shipping and customs fees. A handling fee is added into the charges, but neither eBay nor Pitney Bowes would disclose how the fee is calculated."

Bolded for emphasis.

And that is the added, "Aw Hellllll No!"

The most interesting thing in this thread is the possibility that somebody working at the Global Shipping Program in Kentucky is stealing items from eBay sellers.

And then accusing the seller of sending an empty box, and telling them to refund the buyer.

So now you're out the item, and price the buyer paid for it.

Thanks Ebay, sounds like a great program, where do I sign up?

I recently helped a buyer, on eBay, get some of the White Dwarf magazines I have sale who lives in Australia. For me to ship all of those books would cost me a lot to ship, but with the program it didn't cost me much as I sent them Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium. The buyer was real happy with them and how much I helped him to get them by combining them into one sale, were as I usually ship singly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Dwarf-Issue-18-19-20-22-23-25-28-30-31-/261811319023?rd=1

Not really - the buyer paid a higher shipping cost than it would have been if Gatchaman had just mailed the books directly and undoubtedly got nailed with customs fees too.

In this day & age, there's absolutely no reason not to offer international shipping in your eBay listings - USPS priority mail offers tracking to most countries which qualifies you for seller protection, the paperwork can be filled out online (and isn't particularly more complex than domestic paperwork) and the mailman will pick up your international packages just as well as your domestic ones.

My bad. I didn't read the post correctly and thought he shipped them himself. I don't use the GSP program and never will. Even without the potential hassles, the limiting of my target audience would be a big enough reason not to.

Linky

Relevant extract:

Bolded for emphasis.

What is never questioned regarding the GSP is how one can levy import charges before the package arrives at its destination for customs clearance, plus the fact that such charges can only be made by the customs & excise in that country.

Comics are zero VAT and duty rated in the U.K. Yet ebay / Pitney Bowes still charges such (unrefundable) fees, keeps them for themselves and nobody at U.K. customs and excise has investigated this?

This, specially the bolded part.

Linky

Relevant extract:

Bolded for emphasis.

What is never questioned regarding the GSP is how one can levy import charges before the package arrives at its destination for customs clearance, plus the fact that such charges can only be made by the customs & excise in that country.

Comics are zero VAT and duty rated in the U.K. Yet ebay / Pitney Bowes still charges such (unrefundable) fees, keeps them for themselves and nobody at U.K. customs and excise has investigated this?

That is an interesting question.

This program is such a rip off and I bet it is not legal.

I mean, how is it possible for ebay to open the parcels when they are not the addressee?

Ebay is playing with fire.

Linky

Relevant extract:

Bolded for emphasis.

That is an interesting question.

This program is such a rip off and I bet it is not legal.

I mean, how is it possible for ebay to open the parcels when they are not the addressee?

Ebay is playing with fire.

But they're getting away with it.

I'm on the record here as a GSP hater. I find it loathsome, and will not buy from sellers who use it.

Period.

What a lot here seem to be missing is the elephant in the room.

All packages shipped to the GSP hub in Kentucky are opened there!

The USPS doesn't open outgoing packages unless it has a reasonable suspicion that something's "not right". When a package is opened by the USPS, pretty strict guidelines have to be followed in order that there are no "shenanigans".

EVERY package shipped to Kentucky is opened, to "check". meh

Yeah, right. I'd love to believe that their facility, when it comes to opening packages, is held to the same standard as the USPS.

I doubt it though.

Leaving all this aside, how comfortable are you as a seller with the notion that someone else is going to repackage your carefully constructed parcel?

This is a very good point. Sending delicate items after painstakingly packaging them and having them opened by someone without experience is scary.