• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A letter to Steve Ditko
1 1

216 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd be interested in writing him a letter... But to get a letter back do I have to ask him a question that he doesn't want to answer? I want to be nice to the guy lol

I asked about Mr. A's  origin and asked him his favorite work for Charlton Comics.

On 4/17/2017 at 4:08 PM, kav said:

Once again i will point out he solicits letters.  If he didn't, what you say would be entirely legitimate.  

Proof that he "solicits letters" please.

I just did a random ebay search to see if there were any Ditko-signed items out there.  I was sad to see at least 2 of the letters he had written to people being auctioned off.  One was dated about 2 weeks ago. 

I realize that buying and selling are a big part of this hobby, but this feels different than normal commerce or even flipping.  I'm not a fan of these kinds of opportunistic endeavors.  They seem too predatory for my taste.  Bad form.

I should note that one of the items was pretty old and possibly held some historical significance, though I'm unfamiliar with the subject matter. 

On 10/2/2017 at 12:43 PM, Turtle said:

I just did a random ebay search to see if there were any Ditko-signed items out there.  I was sad to see at least 2 of the letters he had written to people being auctioned off.  One was dated about 2 weeks ago. 

I realize that buying and selling are a big part of this hobby, but this feels different than normal commerce or even flipping.  I'm not a fan of these kinds of opportunistic endeavors.  They seem too predatory for my taste.  Bad form.

Just wait until the day after Stan Lee passes on.  

10 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Just wait until the day after Stan Lee passes on.  

I don't know.  Stan has been signing for a fee for years.  In any such event, there will be those who are there to get something very personal signed and those who are getting things signed to make money (or sometimes both).  I expect the market will be flooded with Stan Lee signed comic books when Stan passes (hopefully a long time from now). 

In Steve Ditko's case, there were no public signings and he wasn't compensated for his time.  People found his address and wrote him a letter not because they were interested in what he had to say, but rather to have something that he signed so they could turn around and sell it.  Maybe it's not different from Stan's situation, but it feels very different to me. 

I have no issues with people who wrote him a letter either to express gratitude (not that he was into that sort of thing) or ask him a question.  I've got no problem with them posting it publicly to show off a bit.  A hand-written letter from Steve Ditko?  That's cool!  But if the motivation for writing the letter is just to receive an item that you can turn around and sell days after receiving it, it doesn't sit well with me. 

Stan and Steve's situations aren't comparable in my mind. 

8 hours ago, Turtle said:

I don't know.  Stan has been signing for a fee for years.  In any such event, there will be those who are there to get something very personal signed and those who are getting things signed to make money (or sometimes both).  I expect the market will be flooded with Stan Lee signed comic books when Stan passes (hopefully a long time from now). 

In Steve Ditko's case, there were no public signings and he wasn't compensated for his time.  People found his address and wrote him a letter not because they were interested in what he had to say, but rather to have something that he signed so they could turn around and sell it.  Maybe it's not different from Stan's situation, but it feels very different to me. 

I have no issues with people who wrote him a letter either to express gratitude (not that he was into that sort of thing) or ask him a question.  I've got no problem with them posting it publicly to show off a bit.  A hand-written letter from Steve Ditko?  That's cool!  But if the motivation for writing the letter is just to receive an item that you can turn around and sell days after receiving it, it doesn't sit well with me. 

Stan and Steve's situations aren't comparable in my mind. 

Steve's letters are starting to have market value. Look on ebay, sold listings. At the con I worked this last sunday with my LCS owner in Los Angeles someone came up to the table and proudly showed off a letter he bought at the show (normal Ditko half page letter with about 12 words total) from someone at the con. I laughed and, really the words fell out of my mouth before thinking, I said, "You bought that? I've got, like, twenty Ditko letters. All you had to do was write him and he'd write you back." The fellow looked hurt and said he payed around 300 bucks for it. I shouldn't have said anything as I was just a helper at the table. I really had no business speaking to the customers but I just couldn't believe it. You payed money for that? Than the kicker: The guy said someone was walking around the con with an AF15 signed by Ditko. Again my mouth fell open and words came out. "Where?" Show him to me." The fellow scanned the room and said he no longer saw him. Anyways the guy shuffled off probably thinking to himself, "Why didn't I think to write someone a letter?"

Anyways. There are lots of SL signatures out there and there are alot of SD letters out there. (I'm perfectly aware there are less SD letters than SL signatures, but here are alot of SD letters.)

Edited by NoMan

I just stumbled on the last photo of Steve Ditko-its a copyrighted image so I'm not gonna post it but its on youtube.