• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A letter to Steve Ditko
1 1

216 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago, I wrote a letter to Steve Ditko. I am aware that he has been unapproachable for the most part and does not have much interest in Spiderman and comics he worked on during the 60's. But I thought it was worth a shot.

I wrote a letter in which I explained that I have loved his work since I was 12, and now am introducing it to my son. I asked if he saw any of the Spiderman movies and if he liked any of them. Lastly I included a 8x10 of the first page from AF15 and asked him to sign it. He returned it unsigned, but did include this letter:

2w3yvs0.jpg

Interesting that he signed his name twice!

I felt it was a very gracious response and was more than I expected.

Ankur

Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I don't think he signed the letter twice. The top name is his signature in cursive, then he printed his name below it in case you couldn't decipher his handwriting. An old-fashioned approach that was once common.

Has a hand written Ditko letter been offered up at auction in recent times?

I'd like to have one, but feel it best to respect his privacy.

Edited by shadroch

Many years ago I read an interview done in Wizard magazine.

I need to find the issue someday. The interviewer talked about how Ditko used old pin ups and artwork of Spider-man that he considered "not worthy" of publication as dart board backing.

The interviewer was freaking out seeing it, but that letter still pretty much sums up his thoughts and they haven't changed.

I'd like to write to him specifically to thanks him for all of his hard work in not only illustration but design. Sure he was a great Illustrator, but in my mind his sheer brilliance come form the fact that a lot of his characters that he drew and came up with has stood the test of time.

Think of all the characters that costumes and physical looks and attributes have basically remained the same:

( :blahblah: )

Just to name a few!

Wow what a resume!!!!

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Fixed that for you. :)

Ditko had nothing to do with Jack O' Lantern or Prof Warren's Jackal.

Who created Jack O'Lantern? Ditko certainly drew his first appearance.

You are correct. (worship)

My apologies to Wally's Comics. :blush:

I wonder if Steve Ditko is living a good life or whether he has money problems. He has isolated himself right after his Marvel times and surely enough, he left the game before it became profitable as it is today.

mWI don't think Steve Ditko honestly cares.If there was ever a more stick to his principals creator in the industry I've yet to come across them.

I hope he is well off god knows he deserves it but if not I certainly admire his work and that will stand the test of time(it already has).