• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A letter to Steve Ditko
1 1

216 posts in this topic

I never realized what a complete recluse Ditko became.  I don't believe a photo of him exists beyond the mid 1960's when he quit Marvel.  If so, that's pretty remarkable. Surely someone must have taken a photo of him shopping or around town later in his life hm

Edited by mosconi

On 4/30/2015 at 11:33 PM, seanfingh said:

Ditko is not bitter. He is an objectivist. His belief system is what causes him to act the way he does, not bitterness. He is a man of extreme conviction. I find him fascinating. I would love to have something signed by him, but his rules are cool with me. I would like to be able to figure out how to get him to do it willingly.

I think Ayn Rand would be disturbed knowing objectivism has been used to quantify being an individual_without_enough_empathy.  He's an incredible artist and the importance of his role immeasurable, but let's not split hairs when it comes to what he is or isn't.  No matter how you rip, slip or tear it, he is a bitter man.

20 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I think Ayn Rand would be disturbed knowing objectivism has been used to quantify being an individual_without_enough_empathy.  He's an incredible artist and the importance of his role immeasurable, but let's not split hairs when it comes to what he is or isn't.  No matter how you rip, slip or tear it, he is a bitter man.

I understand he considers his role in comics as work to hire, but think about how much good he could do if he took the money from selling his art and from the movies and donated it. Wouldn't helping those who are less fortunate justify it? As well, he still wouldn't be keeping the money. If it made him sleep better at night, have the money directly deposited with the charity, so he doesn't have to see or hear about it. 

"All the work I did back then was work for hire and I had absolutely no investment in the characters whatsoever I don't even know who Gwen Stacy is honestly that stuff is completely unimportant to me and I don't wanna talk about it or anything else actually".

35 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

maybe we should just leave Steve alone. It is his life - he owes us nothing.

There was no outcry when this article was published.
Reporter phones ditko twice to arrange an interview, is told no the first time write me a letter and gets hung up on. Calls again and is told no and gets hung up on.
Shows up at Ditkos house anyways, knocking on the door.

No one is going to leave Ditko alone because the people who are harassing Ditko get jobs working at websites like Vulture.com - a very fitting name.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/steve-ditko-doctor-strange-c-v-r.html

53 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

maybe we should just leave Steve alone. It is his life - he owes us nothing.

This would be valid IF he didn't solicit letters.

2 minutes ago, mosconi said:

Pulling my leg or is that really Ditko??

I googled ditko and came up with this pic and the blurb ". entered Rita Malone's home (Steve Ditko's Grand-daughter)..during the now infamous Citlali Vega wedding; he snapped a series of images such as this one:"

5 hours ago, comicquant said:

To be fair, Rand was a hypocrite and a jerk, so her being "disturbed" wouldn't bother me in the least.

Several board members have written to him and he has responded to several over the years. The man sticks to his convictions and I admire that greatly. I once read an article from a writer/artist who worked with him on Shade the Changing man in the last 70s I think. He talked to Ditko on the phone and conversation moved into what is a hero? That began a 2 hour phone conversation with Ditko just over that.

I read an article in Wizard magazine how he uses old artwork as backing paper for his dart board. He considered the artwork inferior. So instead of selling old Spider-man art pages he just used them as dart board backing. I am sure at some level there is some resentment on how he has been treated compared to Lee and Kirby. That is human nature, but I have never read a word or heard anything from Ditko on it ever.

I wish they would just leave him alone. The man has earned his peace.

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

Several board members have written to him and he has responded to several over the years. The man sticks to his convictions and I admire that greatly. I once read an article from a writer/artist who worked with him on Shade the Changing man in the last 70s I think. He talked to Ditko on the phone and conversation moved into what is a hero? That began a 2 hour phone conversation with Ditko just over that.

I read an article in Wizard magazine how he uses old artwork as backing paper for his dart board. He considered the artwork inferior. So instead of selling old Spider-man art pages he just used them as dart board backing. I am sure at some level there is some resentment on how he has been treated compared to Lee and Kirby. That is human nature, but I have never read a word or heard anything from Ditko on it ever.

I wish they would just leave him alone. The man has earned his peace.

He doesn't want to be left alone-he solicits letters from people so he can tell them what imbeciles they are.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

He doesn't want to be left alone-he solicits letters from people so he can tell them what imbeciles they are.

Come on really. He communicates thru letters. Not email, not phone, not video just letters. 

The guy is 89 and still writes letters. Let him have his small world. Is it really that big of a deal to you.?

Id frame a letter that Steve Ditko insulted me in.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

Come on really. He communicates thru letters. Not email, not phone, not video just letters. 

The guy is 89 and still writes letters. Let him have his small world. Is it really that big of a deal to you.?

Id frame a letter that Steve Ditko insulted me in.

He communicates rudely through the letters he solicits.  Why would you ask people to send you letters, then treat them like trash?  I have never seen a single letter where Ditko was nice to someone.