• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A letter to Steve Ditko
1 1

216 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kav said:

He communicates rudely through the letters he solicits.  Why would you ask people to send you letters, then treat them like trash?  I have never seen a single letter where Ditko was nice to someone.

Did you not read the letters in this thread? I didn't see anywhere where he treated the board member like trash. This is about you wanting to be right.

I am quite sure he has been the subject of more then one rude person knocking at his door trying to get an autograph or interview. I am sure he is not as charming as Stan Lee is, but Ive seen several letters where the only thing he is says is repeatedly that he wont sign anything and tells you why.

Leave the man alone and stop trying to make this into something it isn't.

This took 1 minute to find.

http://www.cbr.com/an-8-year-old-fan-wrote-steve-ditko-a-letter-and-heres-how-ditko-responded/

At the beginning of this thread, I thought I'm going to write Steve Ditko a letter, then the more I thought about it, I figured what the hell could I say to Steve Ditko (who the hell am I).

I'm going to send him a thank you note.

18 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I guess we can give the man credit for staying true to himself.  Let's face it -- if he wanted to, he could probably make 8 figures just by signing at NYCC for all four days.

I can't imagine any scenario where he can make 10 million dollars just signing all 4 days at NYCC.

I imagine he could do very well for himself if he did some sig series stuff as well as commissions and sketches though.

18 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

At the beginning of this thread, I thought I'm going to write Steve Ditko a letter, then the more I thought about it, I figured what the hell could I say to Steve Ditko (who the hell am I).

I'm going to send him a thank you note.

Virtue signalling!!  Awesome

14 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

No.

Are you saying no, this is not Ditko?  I thought it was a gag at first, because it didn't really look like him.  But the photo was taken at an angle.  Here's an old pic of Ditko to compare. Now unless he's grown a lot of hair in old age, they look like different people to me (shrug)

steve-ditko-photo.jpg

LONDON195.jpg

apparently that is ditko-I tracked down the cached post:

"Here is Ditko talking to Citlali's sister during the post-wedding party.... "

Ditko became quite aggravated when Jean-Gerard started taking those pictures, but Steve kept drinking anyways. When Jeanine Williams, Citlali's best friend, was going around the tables greeting people, she made it to Ditko's corner and and kindly asked him to sign the guest book..then he jumped up and said..."Mmmmm, this beer is delicious!!! I love this beer!...also, NO Autographs nimwitts!!!"
then he just walked out (or so I was told), but apparently, not before grabbing two beers from the freezer...

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, kav said:

apparently that is ditko-I tracked down the cached post:

"Here is Ditko talking to Citlali's sister during the post-wedding party.... "

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EK8mVZk02woJ:boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php%3Fubb%3Dshowflat%26Number%3D6398077+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Ditko became quite aggravated when Jean-Gerard started taking those pictures, but Steve kept drinking anyways. When Jeanine Williams, Citlali's best friend, was going around the tables greeting people, she made it to Ditko's corner and and kindly asked him to sign the guest book..then he jumped up and said..."Mmmmm, this beer is delicious!!! I love this beer!...also, NO Autographs nimwitts!!!"
then he just walked out (or so I was told), but apparently, not before grabbing two beers from the freezer...

I saw and read that post as well.  I guess it is him, but I thought Ditko had never married or had children.  How could he have a granddaughter?  Could there be another person also named Steve Ditko in New York?  Just look like two different people to me...

Since we essentially have no info on the dude we cannot say if he has never been married or has been married 5 times.

Apparently he has a nephew which has been mistaken for a son due to his secrecy so probably it is a grandniece mistaken for grand daughter.

45 minutes ago, kav said:

Apparently he has a nephew which has been mistaken for a son due to his secrecy so probably it is a grandniece mistaken for grand daughter.

The truth may never be known.  According to this New York Post article which includes a brief personal interaction with Ditko from 2012, it claims he never married or had children.  Could be a grandniece as he did have two sisters and a brother. 

http://nypost.com/2012/07/03/the-secret-hero-of-spider-man/

Edited by mosconi

4 hours ago, mosconi said:

The truth may never be known.  According to this New York Post article which includes a brief personal interaction with Ditko from 2012, it claims he never married or had children.  Could be a grandniece as he did have two sisters and a brother. 

http://nypost.com/2012/07/03/the-secret-hero-of-spider-man/

Not Ditko.  See the thread I bumped.

On 3/7/2014 at 7:48 PM, VintageComics said:

Koko said:
Not Ditko. Saw him last year. This is a hoax.

It was actually a joke by our class clown. And a funny one. lol