• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A letter to Steve Ditko
1 1

216 posts in this topic

Someone should right him a letter and ask him what he thinks about his creation Squirrel Girl taking off?

It looks like another Ditko creation hit the Hollywood big-time.

Marvel brings Squirrel Girl to TV in 'New Warriors' series on Freeform.

Marvel Television is getting a bit squirrely.

Freeform announced Wednesday that they have given a straight-to-series order for Marvel's New Warriors, a live-action adaptation of the comic series about young adult heroes, including the very popular Squirrel Girl/Doreen Green. But unlike other existing Marvel TV shows, New Warriors will be a half-hour comedy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/04/05/marvel-squirrel-girl-new-warriors-series-freeform/100065764/

i hope this time Disney/Marvel compensates him well.

I haven't seen this thread in a while. I wrote Ditko a letter the other month. Both of my grandparents are from his small hometown in Johnstown, PA. My grandfather even went to highschool with him. They were only about two years apart. My grandmother doesn't remember him and unfortunately my grandfather passed away when I was young. So I finally decided to ask Mr. Ditko if he happened to remember my grandfather. OF course I thanked him for Spider-Man as well. Here is his response .... :eyeroll:

IMG_5374.PNG

Dear Mr Ditko:  I am easily able to remember classmates from 50 years ago.  Also, you could have answered 'Hi thanks for the letter.  No, sadly I do not recall your grandfather but I'm sure he was a great person'.  See-that wasn't so hard.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Dear Mr Ditko:  I am easily able to remember classmates from 50 years ago.  Also, you could have answered 'Hi thanks for the letter.  No, sadly I do not recall your grandfather but I'm sure he was a great person'.  See-that wasn't so hard.

Exactly. He really is an old grumpy guy.

I too have sent to Ditko, sent a letter last May and have sent two more scince and got all of them back, he's definitely consistent. I reccomend you guys send something to John Romita Sr, sent him a package with a couple posters last year and a few months later got all of them back signed (even gave me a Spidey sketch on one of them) and left a nice message on paper. Sometimes he may ask for $20 to be donated to THI but doesn't ask everyone (didn't ask me too). If you guys want I can give you his mailing address, just don't send anything expensive.

1 hour ago, Canadiancomics said:

I too have sent to Ditko, sent a letter last May and have sent two more scince and got all of them back, he's definitely consistent. I reccomend you guys send something to John Romita Sr, sent him a package with a couple posters last year and a few months later got all of them back signed (even gave me a Spidey sketch on one of them) and left a nice message on paper. Sometimes he may ask for $20 to be donated to THI but doesn't ask everyone (didn't ask me too). If you guys want I can give you his mailing address, just don't send anything expensive.

Please PM me his address. 

3 hours ago, kav said:
3 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Exactly. He really is an old grumpy guy.

And, he solicits letters so he can snap at people.  :screwy:

That letter made me laugh. His response is so cranky it is sort of funny. But he does have a point about how one is supposed to remember all this stuff from 50 years ago. Sure-- could have handled it nicer but that he wrote back is a win in my book. He must like CRANKing out of those replies.

4 hours ago, Pontoon said:

ditko_pic_brettstaton.jpg.572afcb5c8678d8461b97668a36cebbe.jpgsteve-ditko2.jpg.6bc537a666ef70f7c6516e348acd7652.jpg

I like the Strange Tales of the Unusual and Journey Into Mystery stats in the background.

He actually seemed somewhat playful and open in these photos!  Is there any known audio recording of Ditko speaking??

Edited by mosconi

18 minutes ago, mosconi said:

He actually seemed somewhat playful and open in these photos!  Is there any known audio recording of Ditko speaking??

They look like they were taken at the same time. Shirt is the same and the stats in the background are the same and in the same place. 

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

That letter made me laugh. His response is so cranky it is sort of funny. But he does have a point about how one is supposed to remember all this stuff from 50 years ago. Sure-- could have handled it nicer but that he wrote back is a win in my book. He must like CRANKing out of those replies.

I actually thought the same thing. He's so grumpy it's funny. But still could have been nicer about it.