• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst modern covers ever
3 3

561 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, divad said:

AmazingSpider-Man667DellOtto.jpg(shrug)

Never understood the appeal of the cover. I actually agree, I mean there are many so much worse, but this has to be one of del otto's worst covers if not his worst.

The worst of the worst would have to be Frank Miller. Some of his stuff is great. Others not so much.

That Electra piece that sold a while back looked like a pirate in drag. 

His Wonder Woman looks like it was drawn by the local day care while he was taking them home in traffic.

Edited by Rip

22 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I love the original cover.  And an homage to SS#4 should be great...but the Black Rider's body is just too awkwardly contorted.  Maybe it doesn't necessarily qualify as "the worst cover", but I'd say it's pretty bad.

THANOS #17 J.G. JONES SILVER SURFER #4 HOMAGE TRADE DRESS LIMITED TO 3000 SOLD WORLDWIDE

That is very, very bad, indeedly. :sumo:

On 2/25/2018 at 4:51 PM, Rip said:

Never understood the appeal of the cover. I actually agree, I mean there are many so much worse, but this has to be one of del otto's worst covers if not his worst.

But...but...but...it's RARE!   Therefore, it must be good. 

13 hours ago, MGH said:

ASM  #400

Embossed variant 

s-l400.jpg

What's wrong with this cover?  The simplicity of it enhances the serious nature of the story that lies within.  (Similar to the all black cover of ASMv2 #36).  The last few pages are some of my favorite Spidey moments.

5 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

What's wrong with this cover?  The simplicity of it enhances the serious nature of the story that lies within.  (Similar to the all black cover of ASMv2 #36).  The last few pages are some of my favorite Spidey moments.

It's just a giant white blob.  I remember holding this in the comic shop seriosly pondering whether I should get it.  I knew there was a significant story inside but the muddy, poorly  embossed tombstone against bright blue background. I honestly thought it was a manufacturing / design error 

First time I thought gimmick covers  had gone too far. 

And I couldn't  bring  myself to buy it 

4 hours ago, MGH said:

It's just a giant white blob.  I remember holding this in the comic shop seriosly pondering whether I should get it.  I knew there was a significant story inside but the muddy, poorly  embossed tombstone against bright blue background. I honestly thought it was a manufacturing / design error 

First time I thought gimmick covers  had gone too far. 

And I couldn't  bring  myself to buy it 

Wow that is definitely the text book definition of worst cover if I ever heard one 

congrats. You made me a believer and I've added this book to my "must never own" list (worship)

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wow that is definitely the text book definition of worst cover if I ever heard one 

congrats. You made me a believer and I've added this book to my "must never own" list (worship)

It was in my pull box and I after I stared  at it for a bit  I asked the guy to put it back on the shelf.. Which  poor form on my part  but I hated it that much . 

Does this minicomic cover from the one of the DKIII: Master Race issues count?  I feel like Frank Miller has basically become the Van Gogh of comics.  There's no proportions, scale, and a whole lot of random lines.  It's all rather impressionistic.  That being said, I felt the writing of the minicomics were way stronger than the main series itself.

DKIIIMini1200_560f23e66e7918.48458184.jp

On 3/9/2018 at 1:02 PM, ExNihilo said:

You know, i've never actually read or owned that book, but have always wondered: what is that cover supposed to be??? Is it supposed to look like a tombstone? or a cloud? or a tombstone cloud made out of webs? What IS it???

58 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

You know, i've never actually read or owned that book, but have always wondered: what is that cover supposed to be??? Is it supposed to look like a tombstone? or a cloud? or a tombstone cloud made out of webs? What IS it???

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, it's supposed to be a tombstone (regular cover below).  I think the cover would have looked better with Spider-Man standing over a tombstone with the name hidden in shade.  But this was the '90s so every milestone had to have some special cover.

latest?cb=20180113021606

5 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, it's supposed to be a tombstone (regular cover below).  I think the cover would have looked better with Spider-Man standing over a tombstone with the name hidden in shade.  But this was the '90s so every milestone had to have some special cover.

latest?cb=20180113021606

Ok, that makes more sense. But if "tombstone" was what they were going for with that overlay, they definitely miscalculated. It looks like dirty cotton candy.

8 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Ok, that makes more sense. But if "tombstone" was what they were going for with that overlay, they definitely miscalculated. It looks like dirty cotton candy.

From what I remember as it's  been long time since I held one , it's almost like a hologram cover in that you had to move it around in the light to actually make out what was going on.. 

I remember thinking it was a white  fluffy white cloud until  realising it was supposed to be tombstone ..  Amazing they let that one into the wild.. Pure fail 

On 3/9/2018 at 11:35 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I feel shame.No idea how one of these ended up in my house.Not my image,but it's here,somewhere,lurking.

2052464.jpg

(I have the Badgley Dynamic issue.Was a well meaning gift ?

Edited by porcupine48

32 minutes ago, MGH said:

From what I remember as it's  been long time since I held one , it's almost like a hologram cover in that you had to move it around in the light to actually make out what was going on.. 

I remember thinking it was a white  fluffy white cloud until  realising it was supposed to be tombstone ..  Amazing they let that one into the wild.. Pure fail 

The term is "embossed" where the art is basically raised from the natural paper state.  But hey, at least if you have a 9.8 copy of this book you know it hasn't been pressed since the act of pressing would flatten the cover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_embossing