• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst modern covers ever
3 3

561 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2019 at 2:10 PM, Second Blight said:

Yes, Midtown Comics exclusive. Artist is Donny Cates.

It's weird to me that writers were upset about JJ Abrams son getting a Spider-Man mini, but no one seems to be upset that Donny Cates, a writer by trade, is stealing what could have otherwise been work for a struggling artist.

Inspired by the now locked ASM129 thread in CG, I dug out an old Merc cover by Mike Zeck

Since that thread is now locked I had NO CHOICE but to feature it on this thread here (even though its not a Modern)

Is it a coincidence that Marvel picked Zeck to do covers for Merc starting with issue 6 (over a year since pun #1 mini was published)? the cover for annual 1 is almost a swipe of Punisher #1

A really really really bad swipe

zeck1.thumb.jpg.6a5d9ced606932375c36ffb92fd0b44b.jpgzeck2.thumb.jpg.34263024a3cf4d3d6d93f66c04ccfedd.jpg

3 hours ago, xNerdyThingsx said:

I don’t see any posts for UF4 1st Print or ASM 4. Both are amazingly terrible “spoiler but not really” with RL level proportion issues.

03-12-20166.jpg?fit=2609,4002&ssl=1

'Don't mind me. My hip just does that.' 

And I know it's close-to-probably-just-correct anyway, but I can't help laughing at her one bewb. 'Face left girls!' 

On 6/14/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jonathan78 said:

273A8EAF-7376-4B10-900C-A4EB5430A101.jpeg

I both agree with you and strongly disagree with you on this for some reason. Editor probably said, “I want to see every character on this page but Wolverine big.” It’s as if Kirby and Jim Lee had an art baby that just wasn’t quite right. I’ve changed my mind, I love it. Thank you for this range of emotions. 

57 minutes ago, The Green Ghost said:

image.thumb.png.e28115f45fd7792188068371d2546216.png

It's an absolute ugly mess more worried about "inclusion" than trying to be a piece of art or sell the comic. They made sure to get in a gay couple, an interracial couple, and a fat goth girl for good measure in case anyone felt left out.

Sometimes critics say more about themselves than about the work they’re critiquing.

On 6/26/2021 at 10:49 PM, xNerdyThingsx said:

I both agree with you and strongly disagree with you on this for some reason. Editor probably said, “I want to see every character on this page but Wolverine big.” It’s as if Kirby and Jim Lee had an art baby that just wasn’t quite right. I’ve changed my mind, I love it. Thank you for this range of emotions. 

At first glance its not bad, but then look at Wolverine's right arm and Jean's face.  I just can't unsee it