• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Pedigree Trifecta!

15 posts in this topic

AKA: "It's Him! It's Him! It's Him!"

Well I had to do it; I had to buy another. I have no idea what compels me to do such crazy things like buying multiple copies of comics that I love; it's probably mental illness.

Since early 2013, I had been searching for another copy of Marvel Premiere #1: a key showcasing the metamorphosis of HIM into Warlock. But I wasn't searching for just any example of Marvel Premiere #1... I had to have a Suscha News pedigree graded 9.6 with white pages. Why? Because I'm obsessed! This beauty of a comic joins my two other Marvel Premiere #1's, which are also Suscha News pedigrees. So now I have a total of three MP #1's and all pedigrees.

With Adam Warlock's star power on the rise, Marvel Premiere #1, and most any Adam Warlock key has risen in value due to speculator demand. Why? Simply because Warlock is rumored to debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe... likely helping the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy battle the Mad Titan... Thanos!

Many collectors and Adam Warlock fans have debated Warlock's first appearance; Marvel Premiere #1 has gained considerable interest and support as the coveted key, but I respectfully disagree. I still hold Fantastic Four volume 1, number 67 as the magic key. However, in its favor, Marvel Premiere #1 debuts a number of tropes that have since become integral to Warlock's mythology, making this comic a historical key nearly equal to Fantastic Four 66, 67, and Thor 165.

Here's the low-down on what makes it so special:

*HIM is given the name Warlock by the High Evolutionary, and, in order to save Counter-Earth from destruction, he becomes a Messiah-like superhero.

*1st Costume Incarnation: this is the very first time HIM/Warlock dons a costume, which is a playful homage to Fawcett's Shazam incorporating Captain Marvel's jagged lightning emblem and red and yellow colors. The Magus, Warlock's evil future, wears a near identical costume except that his is a gray and white/silver mix, and has a skull embedded in the center of his belt.

*1st Appearance of the Soul Gem (green colored): this is first of the six (6) colored Soul Gems, aka Infinity Gems or Infinity Stones; the possessor of all six gems becomes master of Time, Space, Mind, Soul, Reality, and Power.

*1st Appearance of Counter-Earth: a near-perfect facsimile of Earth.

*Altered Physical Appearance: the first depiction of Warlock without eyes; no explanation is given (Note: Adam Warlock is frequently illustrated without eyes; this can be seen over the course of his appearances throughout various titles including his own, and with no explanation offered).

So a lot happens in this issue, which also features early appearances of the High Evolutionary, his evil creation, the Man-Beast, and the Fantastic Four, Thor, Hulk and The Watcher as seen in flashbacks.

Feast your eyes on my triple set... isn't it magnificent!?!

Now if only I can get a pedigree example of Spawn #9.

Thanks for reading and as always... Happy Collecting!

SW3D

16623.png

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Absolutely impressed Screenwriter. I have a good copy as well but in a few months I am trading a few books with my friend Cameron because he really wants my Silver Surfer 4 9.0 and a couple other books. I will be getting his insanely gorgeous copy of Marvel Premiere 1 and a few other books as well.

And I understand the need to buy multiple copies of a book. I am obsessed with Marvel Bronze Age Black covers and have multiple Marvel Premiere 1's, The Cat 1's and Hero for Hire 1's. I just can't help myself at times.

Nice set, you've been after these a while now.

Yes... I had bought my first pedigree two years ago and got the bug for more. I see you own quite a bit of them; it's impressive.

SW3D

Absolutely impressed Screenwriter. I have a good copy as well but in a few months I am trading a few books with my friend Cameron because he really wants my Silver Surfer 4 9.0 and a couple other books. I will be getting his insanely gorgeous copy of Marvel Premiere 1 and a few other books as well.

And I understand the need to buy multiple copies of a book. I am obsessed with Marvel Bronze Age Black covers and have multiple Marvel Premiere 1's, The Cat 1's and Hero for Hire 1's. I just can't help myself at times.

It's nice to read I'm not the only one buying multiple copies. Since you mention the Silver Surfer... that is one series I would love to obtain multiple copies of, especially #1, #3, and #4.

Warlock happens to be one of my favorites, and I also own two copies of FF 67... would love a third especially one that is pedigreed. I also own 7 copies of Swamp Thing #1... I'm insane!

The other day on eBay is ran across a pedigreed Hero for Hire #1, but I passed it up simply because I need to keep on budget. But I want one and it is on my target list.

SW3D

My advice. Do not pass up a chance to buy a Hero for Hire 1. You can not have enough of that issue in my opinion. And since you have the means all the more reason to pull the trigger. Plus it is one of the best Romita covers around.

Crazy or not, that looks pretty darn cool. Now you have me wanting multiple copies of some of my favorite books. The problem I have is that when I have the money I always prefer to pick up another great book I don't already have. Maybe someday.

I see your point... why just buy one book over and over again.

Right now I'm trying to determine what I truly want. My heart and soul wants to go after the holy grails and elites... which are incredibly expensive and out of my budget. But I want a legitimate holy grail, in high grade... something like AF15, X-Men 1, FF1 or Detective 27 or dare I say AC1. But how can I even do such a thing?

In the short term, I'm trying to downsize and reduce my collection to what I consider my elites. I'm contemplating selling off comics I no longer want as raws on eBay to get the ball rolling and accrue cash. So far, selling my childhood comics that have been graded by the CGC has been a challenge, and even a good inventory of recently graded moderns with signatures have been slow to sell. The other challenge is of course pricing the items that will obtain a sale at a reasonable profit.

As I accumulate cash from sales in my eBay account, the compulsive shopper in me wants to go shopping, losing site of the bigger picture. This happens so often, that I realize at this pace I'll never reach my true goal.

The comics that are on my short term list (within 2-3 years) are Silver Surfer 1, 3, 4, and of course FF 48; all in high grade. The Silver Surfer is one of those outcast heroes like Warlock, Swamp Thing, Angela, and Nightcrawler that I always identified with. Why? Well... that's a long story for another day. But the latest list price and GPA sales suggest these comics are going to cost me a pretty penny. I'm thinking, much like David Swan does, I have to drastically reduce comic spending and be very conservative.

To get to the really big holy grails, eventually I'll need to let go of my elites that I love. I believe, subconsciously, I am buying multiple copies, and will eventually keep one of each, and sell off the dupes. Therefore, I still get to keep one example of the ones I truly love and yet build equity towards the bigger elites from the sales of the dupes. Who knows... maybe 20 years from now I'll have the money to buy AC1, DC27, X-Men 1, FF1, or AF15.

Wish me luck.

SW3D

In the short term, I'm trying to downsize and reduce my collection to what I consider my elites. I'm contemplating selling off comics I no longer want as raws on eBay to get the ball rolling and accrue cash. So far, selling my childhood comics that have been graded by the CGC has been a challenge, and even a good inventory of recently graded moderns with signatures have been slow to sell. The other challenge is of course pricing the items that will obtain a sale at a reasonable profit.

I have been contemplating and working on this very notion over the last few years, last fall I sold all my Chris Claremont/John Bryne X-Men 9.8s to accommodate a few 9.8 Action Comics examples (one was a pedigree) from the late Silver and Early Bronze Ages. Earlier last month I found two more Actions of the same criteria and era, this time I had to part with some Death and Return of Superman books. It was worth it both times but selling can be a bit labor intrusive, especially when you have to run to the PO on lunch hours. Then there are those books you really liked but no one else does, and they don't sell, even at bargain prices - like my Copper Indiana Jones books.

You also mentioned having to move some of your elite books possibly in the future, I've scrapped the bottom of the proverbial barrel in terms of books I can part with, or that will easily sell at a decent price. I'll be in trouble next time a truly special piece with my name on it appears. Time to channel the inner Dave Swan and save to make it all work.

Brandon

P.S. Best of luck on obtaining your grails!

Crazy or not, that looks pretty darn cool. Now you have me wanting multiple copies of some of my favorite books. The problem I have is that when I have the money I always prefer to pick up another great book I don't already have. Maybe someday.

This is my way of collecting as well.

There are just too many books I still "need" ( lol ) to hoard multiples of my favorites. One day maybe.

I also have been moving out of Moderns and Copper to start collecting Bronze and Silver books.

The issue is, my disposable income allowed me to make multiple purchases for Modern and Copper Age comics, and it is almost addicting.

Now I have to actually rein myself in, and save that money to buy the big books I now want to go after.

It's definitely a hard transition to make, but very satisfying once you do find that perfect book, and are able to buy it.

Screenwriter

When you do get around to putting up some books on ebay for sale please send me message so that I can check out what you have and most likely bid on some of your books and help you towards getting your elite keys.

Thanks,

Matt