• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are those Mile High Books?

59 posts in this topic

The Jules Assange of the Boards :baiting:

Updated because I don't think Verzyl's identity or ownership of certain books is a secret.

Best known copy of Tec 27 is the Allentown owned by dentist. Not graded.

Church Tec 27 was second hand.

Cap 1 can be seen by searching Heritage Archive. It's restored. The 9.8 on the census is the Allentown owned by John Verzyl.

Whiz(1) is super high grade, probably owned by dentist. Not graded.

Marvel 1 is super high grade owned by John Verzyl. Not graded.

First part of Action run Church copies owned by dentist. Not graded.

Pep 22 is high grade last known to be owned by dentist. Not graded. Most all of the Pep run was last owned by Metropolis who shared some scans.

All American 16 is the 9.4 on the census owned by John Verzyl.

More Fun 53 is restored and can be seen in the Heritage Archives.

Flash 1 is the 9.6 on the census and owned by prominent dealer Y. I held it in my hands last month and it was gorgeous.

Heritage Archive is a good place to search for more. Many of the big Church books haven't been graded yet and owned by some of the people listed above as well as being spread among many collectors.

John is more like a crown jewel in the comic market tiara than a Julian of wicked WikiLeaks. (:

I was comparing tth2 to Assange for revealing the name of dealer X.

Well, that does make a lot more sense! lol

John probably wouldn't mind in either case. As I recall, JV's ownership of the Church AA#16 was well publicized.

Verzyl has a board moniker now, so tth2 probably should've sent him a PM first, but I don't think any great secrets have been disclosed.

I thought the Superman 1 was restored and owned by Bechara.

It was un-restored and now resides in the 8.0 blue label slab.

Thanks for the info! Anyone know about the Batman 1?

Dentist.

Thanks!

Verzyl has a board moniker now, so tth2 probably should've sent him a PM first, but I don't think any great secrets have been disclosed.

Nothing that I posted was new information that had not been posted on the Boards before. :gossip:

Nothing that I posted was new information that had not been posted on the Boards before. :gossip:

Well where's the fun in that? gw.gif

All that's missing is a ticker-tape parade and marching band.

I'm less convinced that similar public documentation is available for the raw Church MM1 & Cap1, but if so, I'd love to see it. hm

I'm less convinced that similar public documentation is available for the raw Church MM1 & Cap1, but if so, I'd love to see it. hm

We've been talking about both, openly, for many years. I write about it on my site without any worries.I met him and had a phenomenal conversation with him 10 or so years ago and he was free with information that he knew I was going to share. I asked him a couple of times.

We've been talking about both, openly, for many years. I write about it on my site without any worries.I met him and had a phenomenal conversation with him 10 or so years ago and he was free with information that he knew I was going to share. I asked him a couple of times.

No need to get defensive. lol

I was just suggesting in a general context that before posting old third party information as current fact one might want to give the dealer a heads-up prior to making a public assertion. Situations can change over time (private sales, trades, etc.). There are no rules against speculation, ...it's just a matter of common courtesy. My 2c

John drops by every month or so when he's in the Metroplex. We've had marathon discussions, most of which he doesn't mind sharing publicly, but he has expressed concerns about nuanced speculation over deals & business contacts being disseminated on the boards. I respect that and always check with John first if there's any question.

383733e7-c8a3-4341-970b-50ccbd182cbd_zps7bfac216.jpg

Note: The above grainy image was obviously taken during the holidays and is posted with permission (mostly). John, Lamont Cranston, my wife & yours truly.

The only person whose image wasn't cleared before I uploaded this photo was Lamont Cranston, and he's obviously *spooned* about it! (:

BTW, I'm still laughing about tth2 being dubbed the Julian Assange of the boards. That's a classic! :roflmao:

I was just suggesting in a general context that before posting old third party information as current fact one might want to give the dealer a heads-up prior to making a public assertion.

lol Good luck with that. I wouldn't have time in the day to corroborate all the third party info I've posted as current fact.

No need to get defensive. lol

I was just suggesting in a general context that before posting old third party information as current fact one might want to give the dealer a heads-up prior to making a public assertion. Situations can change over time (private sales, trades, etc.). There are no rules against speculation, ...it's just a matter of common courtesy. My 2c

John drops by every month or so when he's in the Metroplex. We've had marathon discussions, most of which he doesn't mind sharing publicly, but he has expressed concerns about nuanced speculation over deals & business contacts being disseminated on the boards. I respect that and always check with John first if there's any question.

383733e7-c8a3-4341-970b-50ccbd182cbd_zps7bfac216.jpg

Note: The above grainy image was obviously taken during the holidays and is posted with permission (mostly). John, Lamont Cranston, my wife & yours truly.

The only person whose image wasn't cleared before I uploaded this photo was Lamont Cranston, and he's obviously *spooned* about it! (:

BTW, I'm still laughing about tth2 being dubbed the Julian Assange of the boards. That's a classic! :roflmao:

Are you the person on the right? I can't tell for sure because you usually have a pint in your hand. :baiting:

I was just suggesting in a general context that before posting old third party information as current fact one might want to give the dealer a heads-up prior to making a public assertion.

lol Good luck with that. I wouldn't have time in the day to corroborate all the third party info I've posted as current fact.

True enough. Info from you is a little easier corroborate than the Library of Congress level of information from JV discussions. :ohnoez:

True enough. Info from you is a little easier corroborate than the Library of Congress level of information from JV discussions. :ohnoez:

JV stuff is super easy to corroborate. Just ask anyone who he has talked to. He tells everyone everything. He may be the only person who talks more than Gator. I've heard that Gator hasn't been posting much lately because he called Verzyl a week ago and they are still going at it. I predict Gator will be back on here late Tuesday night.

JV stuff is super easy to corroborate. Just ask anyone who he has talked to. He tells everyone everything. He may be the only person who talks more than Gator. I've heard that Gator hasn't been posting much lately because he called Verzyl a week ago and they are still going at it. I predict Gator will be back on here late Tuesday night.

:signfunny: ...I think you may be on to something there! lol

For those of you who have multiple raw Church books, I continually hear that the Church books have a specific cedar fresh scent to them. When I sniffed the pages of a Church book a couple of years ago, I did not smell anything different compared to other pages I have sniffed. Could it be that not all Church books have this scent? Either that or my sense of smell isn't up to par as most lol

I just pulled out a couple of my Church books. I have some Church copies of the Timely humor books such as pre-DeCarlo Millies and Hedy De Vine. I detect what could be a cedar scent but it's very subtle at that.

Thanks for the feedback. It's too bad that the original scent from back then could not stay within the pages. I would have loved to smell that cedar scent. I'd probably be sniffing it everyday :insane:

For those of you who have multiple raw Church books, I continually hear that the Church books have a specific cedar fresh scent to them. When I sniffed the pages of a Church book a couple of years ago, I did not smell anything different compared to other pages I have sniffed. Could it be that not all Church books have this scent? Either that or my sense of smell isn't up to par as most lol

The scent of a Church book is indeed distinct. However, last time I checked a few of mine I too noticed that the odor had faded.

Since I put microchamber sheets inside all my books, I presume that these sheets are absorbing the smell.

So the next big collector's market product will be Pine Scentedef19fe49-03d6-47ea-bff3-32d73aa97950_zpsf3tubnuw.png Microchamber Sheets! :grin:

:idea: Then all books besides the Church will have that scent when placed inside :cloud9:

hehe

I was present for that conversation. Truly surreal and awesome.

I've always heard, BTW, that the Mile High Wonder Woman 1 was bought by someone who walked into Chuck's store in 1977 the first day it was for sale, and has never been seen again.