• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Registry Set Awards 2015

130 posts in this topic

If winning actually meant best set then I would be excited. It's mostly politics.

Just curious, but why do you say it is politics?

Just compare the "winners" to the titles getting the most press, any movies, CGC employees and high volume submitters. (thumbs u

Also, try to find "best set" criteria. You won't. The ambiguity allows CGC to pick sets in the best interest of CGC from a business perspective. The registry is a cool money making machine and the awards are an extension of that. The awards should be called CGC recognized sets and embrace the ambiguity. By calling them "Best" you set up a false competition which increases the bottom line.

Paranoid nonsense.

Here is the link to all the past winners

Past winners

Achievement - the first tab - for the best overall collection. There is no denying these people have (had) amazing collections. Yes they generally are the people at the top of the registry. Better comics, better points, higher score. You are not going to win this unless you are in the top 10 on the registry.

Best in Age - 3 choices in each age group - just start with 2006 - How is "More Fun Comics" political? Or The Spirit so very 'of the moment' ?? DC 100 pagers, nothing to do with anything like press or movies, just a remarkable focus and achievement to collect that run of books, even if it is Greggy. And so on.

There are no criteria as such; but same with the Academy Awards, its peoples opinion and in this case its the opinion of the people who run the show. They get to chose which sets they like, big deal. There have been plenty of times when it draws your attention to sets you did not know existed, well put together collections of obscure titles.

I have made the case in the past for a "peoples choice" where everyone gets a vote for a set in say 1 or 2 categories (cant vote for yourself); could be fun but many people have 'knowledge' i.e. they mainly do Golden or Silver age and are not into moderns or vice versa.

CGC is a money making machine...for itself BUT also for many collectors and dealers that finally had a standard and some quality control to allow them to sell a product with more of a guarantee than just their word and grading opinion. Not always perfect but if it was not better than what went before they would not have done so well.

Good luck to the winners this year.

Yeah, ok. Look at best modern set for last year. For the last 3 years if you like. They are not "best" in any of the criteria listed. Simply look at Viking's Saga set and compare it to the best Spawn set or even to my Chew or Y set. There is NO criteria that makes the Saga set "best"

And you said it yourself, Doc. They pick sets they like with no criteria. They should be CGC recognized sets because there is no criteria that makes them "best".

Isn't it judged by points, or completion percentage, or some algorithm that includes those criteria?
Also presentation. (pics, descriptions, ect...)

hm

No. It is simply sets they like. Feel free to call me paranoid if I believe their choices serve a purpose. I am simply letting anyone who is hoping for a "Best Set" to not take it personally if you don't win. There is no criteria and unlike the Top Registry there is no point allocation.

While I appreciate CGC giving us this great way to inventory our collections, the integrity of the Registry is so very flawed that I fail to see how anyone can take it seriously for competitive purposes. You want the #1 Registry in a title, just steal some cert numbers, or don't delete certs you no longer own, or lobby Gemma to give you more points for certain books, etc,etc,etc. It uses book valuations(points) from 15 years ago, it credits Signature Service books while ignoring Pedigrees, and puts no value on completeness. I'm sorry but I just can't take it seriously but good luck to those that do.

While I appreciate CGC giving us this great way to inventory our collections, the integrity of the Registry is so very flawed that I fail to see how anyone can take it seriously for competitive purposes. You want the #1 Registry in a title, just steal some cert numbers, or don't delete certs you no longer own, or lobby Gemma to give you more points for certain books, etc,etc,etc. It uses book valuations(points) from 15 years ago, it credits Signature Service books while ignoring Pedigrees, and puts no value on completeness. I'm sorry but I just can't take it seriously but good luck to those that do.

+1

I used to take it seriously. I wanted to take it seriously. I can no longer take it seriously.

lol It all comes down to my Saga set beating your Y set last year. You hate that it did. Every argument you make on this subject involves my Saga set.

I'm not sorry I won. In no way, shape, or form. I'm actually quite proud of the fact.

It made me extremely happy, and I hope I can win again after obtaining many upgrades.

I do hope you win one day. I do. But you're beginning to hurt my Saga Set's feelings, lol ....

lol It all comes down to my Saga set beating your Y set last year. You hate that it did. Every argument you make on this subject involves my Saga set.

I'm not sorry I won. In no way, shape, or form. I'm actually quite proud of the fact.

It made me extremely happy, and I hope I can win again after ma=obtaining many upgrades.

I do hope you win one day. I do. But you're beginning to hurt my Saga Set's feelings, lol ....

hm

It is simply a great example to prove there is no criteria in the decision. My Y set or Chew set should not have won in any way. There are both "better" objectively than the Saga set. All criteria listed here including number of books, completion, descriptions, photos......there is NOTHING that makes the Saga set "Best"

I used to see best sets as something to aspire to. What is there to aspire to when my sets already exceed the winner by all known objective criteria?

You should not feel bad for winning in any way. Why would you? Anybody who views this as a competition like the top point sets is sadly mistaken.

And to be honest, Reed, I am quite happy that you won. I understand my criticisms may sound like sour grapes but I would be just as critical if I had won. My set was undeserving. If I complete all descriptions and photos then maybe but you winning has freed me. I tend to be quite competitive. When you won it proved beyond a doubt, to me, that it was not a competition but a lottery. I don't gamble.

It has saved me quite a bit of time and money since I was often tempted to start another set. I have no desire to do so now and will likely be downsizing. So we are both excited that you won! (thumbs u

I doubt they use points as a criteria.

Why?

My modern set has more points than all three of last years winners combined.

Do they use total number of books?

Probably not. Once again, I have more books in my set than all three of last years winners combined.

I'm convinced that the main metric is the percentage of completion. Sets that are 100% complete are probably given precedent.

This puts competitors with truly large sets at a disadvantage. Which is the more difficult task? Nailing 100% of a set with only 20 or 30 issues or 90% of a set with over 400 issues?

On a personal level, I'm kind of glad I didn't win last year. I've used it as additional motivation to complete my set. I enjoy the competition and believe that all the winners truly deserved their ribbons! (worship)

I'm not going to go so far as to say the process is political or unfair. I think "mysterious" is a better adjective. The overriding factor is clearly the subjectivity of the judges. I imagine it's quite similar to a beauty pageant or a car show. Is there a mathematical way to prove that one contestant is more attractive than the others? Not really.

Based on what I've seen, this contest has little to do with who has the most points and the most books in the best condition. I think the aforementioned factors are only part of a greater equation.

In the end, the process is up to the judges. I think the awards are a blast! Very creative idea to keep collectors motivated and involved. It's also a great way to show off your collection and see what other people have put together. There are some incredible sets out there and I'm looking forward to browsing through the winning collections! Good luck to everyone!

Interesting. You find a "competition" with no rules to motivating? I found it frustrating. How is a collector supposed to "compete" when there are no rules of competition? lol

I'm imagining a race where the judge is following in a car and declares the winner whenever they get bored. Whoever is in 1st at the time wins. :insane:

I don't even look at Moderns so, have no idea, but it was pretty clear to everyone that the Saga set was the best otherwise it would not have won; they were even talking about it in the Original art section and Golden age thread. That set is insane. :baiting:

Or not.

No, this competition is the opinion of a bunch of CGC people and for the sake of this particular competition they set up they get to decide. Thats the criteria; what they think should win. Period.

So enjoy it if you win, chillax if you don't. Many people have liquidated sets because they dropped from number 1 to number 2; they are taking the registry extremely seriously which is tragic...and if you think the best set in the world is the one listed at number 1 in points, then you have no idea. There are numerous collections that would likely be 20 x Cheetahs points if they entered them; maybe more.

So, chill out, its fun and games, at the end of the day Greggy always wins. And maybe you will win this year! Once you have won a couple you start to realize it does not mean much....

I don't even look at Moderns so, have no idea, but it was pretty clear to everyone that the Saga set was the best otherwise it would not have won; they were even talking about it in the Original art section and Golden age thread. That set is insane. :baiting:

Or not.

No, this competition is the opinion of a bunch of CGC people and for the sake of this particular competition they set up they get to decide. Thats the criteria; what they think should win. Period.

So enjoy it if you win, chillax if you don't. Many people have liquidated sets because they dropped from number 1 to number 2; they are taking the registry extremely seriously which is tragic...and if you think the best set in the world is the one listed at number 1 in points, then you have no idea. There are numerous collections that would likely be 20 x Cheetahs points if they entered them; maybe more.

So, chill out, its fun and games, at the end of the day Greggy always wins. And maybe you will win this year! Once you have won a couple you start to realize it does not mean much....

Good point because actually,.. if Cheetah wanted too,... he obviously has the wherewithal and means to have the #1 set in any series he chooses, anyone who has checked out his registry is aware of that , he blows away any of the other sets in a series he chooses to collect,.. fortunately for modern collectors he has no desire in that era

...this competition is the opinion of a bunch of CGC people and for the sake of this particular competition they set up they get to decide. Thats the criteria; what they think should win. Period.

So enjoy it if you win, chillax if you don't.

This should be posted in the Registry Awards Disclaimer

(and the Greggy part too)

Isn't it judged by points, or completion percentage, or some algorithm that includes those criteria?
Also presentation. (pics, descriptions, ect...)

hm

No. It is simply sets they like. Feel free to call me paranoid if I believe their choices serve a purpose. I am simply letting anyone who is hoping for a "Best Set" to not take it personally if you don't win. There is no criteria and unlike the Top Registry there is no point allocation.

You are correct but, the criteria I posted is also taken into consideration. I know because I won best GA set one year, and I was far from having the top rated set or points.