• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value/price of a Pence Variant Key

56 posts in this topic

Well, it's pretty much moot at this point because I went there today to take a good look at the book, and it has 5 staples and tape up the entire spine. It also has two long CBC on the cover, so I am going to pass. A passing look thought it would be a 5.0/5.5, but now I'm leaning more towards a 4.0 (Q?) because of the staples and tape. Too bad because they were asking $1,800 which I thought was a decent price for the book. It's flat, clean and complete. Of course when I asked the front counter guy the other day, he said no restoration, but with tape and extra staples I'm not taking a chance.

That's not a bad price. Not too shabby, at all.

Well, it's pretty much moot at this point because I went there today to take a good look at the book, and it has 5 staples and tape up the entire spine. It also has two long CBC on the cover, so I am going to pass. A passing look thought it would be a 5.0/5.5, but now I'm leaning more towards a 4.0 (Q?) because of the staples and tape. Too bad because they were asking $1,800 which I thought was a decent price for the book. It's flat, clean and complete. Of course when I asked the front counter guy the other day, he said no restoration, but with tape and extra staples I'm not taking a chance.

That's not a bad price. Not too shabby, at all.

Even with extra staples and tape up the entire spine (and being a pence) ?

Foreign collectors are small in number but growing. They love their foreign editions. My buddy has every foreign version of ASM 129 as far as he knows he's the only one. He was offered 22K for them.

I've often wondered why pence versions aren't more sought after by collectors. I'm guessing they have smaller print runs (and were apparently printed off before the dollar versions were in the factory) , so couldn't they be seen as a scarcer variant?

Yes, much scarcer from my understanding. And, these books had to deal with some bias for many years as some collectors in the UK preferred the American original. Its funny how the market can dictate value which in turn creates scarcity in grade as books deemed of lesser value are not as taken care of or stored better. High grade pence copies are things of beauty!

I think appreciation for pence copies grows with each passing day.....

Yes, also collectors are better informed than they used to be. Many collectors thought that pence copies were just reprints but that misconception is slowly passing. Still many collectors prefer cents copies for uniformity and other reasons but attitudes are changing generally.

Page quality on pence copies is generally better, for what it's worth.

It's worth two thirds.

I've often wondered why pence versions aren't more sought after by collectors. I'm guessing they have smaller print runs (and were apparently printed off before the dollar versions were in the factory) , so couldn't they be seen as a scarcer variant?

Yes, much scarcer from my understanding. And, these books had to deal with some bias for many years as some collectors in the UK preferred the American original. Its funny how the market can dictate value which in turn creates scarcity in grade as books deemed of lesser value are not as taken care of or stored better. High grade pence copies are things of beauty!

Yes, also collectors are better informed than they used to be. Many collectors thought that pence copies were just reprints but that misconception is slowly passing. Still many collectors prefer cents copies for uniformity and other reasons but attitudes are changing generally.

It's worth two thirds.

2/3rd of restored? What would CGC designate the extra staples and tape?

Tape down the spine and extra staples sounds like old school repair on a split cover. It may not be a rag otherwise but that sounds like a 1.0/1.5 book to me.

But seeing as how slabbed cents copies in that condition are selling for $5 to $6K, I would have paid $1800 just to flip it.

Tape down the spine and extra staples sounds like old school repair on a split cover. It may not be a rag otherwise but that sounds like a 1.0/1.5 book to me.

But seeing as how slabbed cents copies in that condition are selling for $5 to $6K, I would have paid $1800 just to flip it.

If youre interested, PM me and I'll tell you the store here in the East Bay that has it.

Are you confusing AF 15 for Spiderman 1? I don't think 1.0 #1s are going anywhere near that, but I may well be mistaken

It's worth two thirds.

DON'T tell everyone - this is our secret - how do you think I can manage to buy my KEYS :shy:

You need to ask yourself why you are buying a pence copy. Is it because you see it as a cheaper substitute for a cents copy or because you think pence copies are cool?

As a substitute you're going to want a much sweeter deal to make it worthwhile than you would if you actively collect pence copies.

+1

This.

As American creations it's only normal for the masses to want the American printing. And yes, they were printed first. The only reason someone would want the foreign version of an American product is because it is cheaper (or if you are specifically collecting foreign editions for some reason).

Ultimately however, the market for them is much, much smaller, and if/when a "correction" in prices does occur, it will hit niche books like that first and hardest.

I would almost suggest just buying a lower graded American copy instead. It is more liquid, and you won't turn into one of "those guys" who is angry that not everyone cares for or gives any (let alone equal) "value" to foreign printings of key comic books. I certainly would not ever advise someone to pay over 50% for a pence copy, if for no other reason than as a hedge. My 2 cents.

-J.

lol

I appreciate your opinion.... but

I like how you seem to lump all foreign collectors in the angry camp. I am actually a pretty nice guy.... :gossip:

Do I think all foreign editions should be worth more or of equal value than their American counterparts? No, of course not necessarily in all or most cases! But, in some instances I do see possibility in the future for foreign edition sales of certain key books eclipsing their American counterparts. Maybe not all the time or in all future cases... but, just like any emerging niche market the foreign market is relatively new and knowledgable collectors stand to make out very well if informed on which books are safer bets.

And if a correction does occur I see rarity being a very good insulator for foreign key value. Especially when you can count the amount of them in country on one or two hands.

lol Not I did not intend to imply that "all" foreign collectors are bitter because of general market perception of foreign books. I know that there are many, such as yourself, that like mixing things up with foreign versions in their collections (or collect them as a focus). There is though that other contingency that seem to get a little snippy and defensive about the "value" of their foreign copies from time to time. I think those are the ones that bought the one or two pence version of big keys as a cost saving means rather than a collecting focus. That's why I agreed with rjpb when he said unless the OP specifically focuses on foreign versions he should try for a steep discount on a pence (or just get a lower graded cents copy) so he won't have any later misgivings about his buying decision. (thumbs u

-J.

I get what you're saying about the reasons why people may buy pence copies and could resent having to "settle" for buying one instead of a cents copy if that's what they really wanted. I wouldn't recommend that anyone do that if they're never going to be happy with a pence copy in their collection.

I would pick up on your comment about that in your opinion pence copies are worth significantly less and so those buying them should only buy them if they were heavily discounted from a cents price. The values of comics basically boil down to how much people are willing to pay for them. If collectors are able to find and buy pence copies of key issues as heavily discounted as you suggest then that is a workable scenario. In reality though, finding them at those kinds of prices is like a needle in a haystack. I didn't say that they generally sell at two thirds of cents value because I'm defensive of them, I said it because it's the reality. Sometimes a cents copy can be had at a bargain price too but generally speaking, sellers don't let their keys sell at a heavily discounted price, whether they be cents or pence.

For all of you Pence lovers the Heritage auction had a bunch of keys:

On the left is the Heritage Pence Price. On the right is the most recent GPA "cent" prices of the same comic or current 1 year average. After that is the percentage of the cent price that the pence price sold for.

TOS39 7.5 ........$7768 ...$9560 ...81%

DD 1 7.5 ...........$2031 ...$3663 ...56%

ASM1 8.5 .........$16,730 $23,000 72%

Avengers 1 7.5 $5736 ....$6865 ...84%

Avengers 4 8.0 $1793 ....$3000 ...60%

ST 110 8.0 .......$5497 ....$7433 ...74%

FF 5 7.0 ...........$2390 ....$4000 ...58%

ASM 14 8.0 .....$1434.... $2280 ...63%

2 of the keys went for over 80%

2 of the keys were between 70-80%

2 of the keys were between 60-70%

2 of the keys were between 55-60%

The average percentage of these 8 keys (as relating to cent values) was basically 70% (I rounded up slightly)

I really think pence copies are getting good recognition right now and may continue to go up in price.

On the left is the Heritage Pence Price. On the right is the most recent GPA "cent" prices of the same comic or current 1 year average. After that is the percentage of the cent price that the pence price sold for.

The average percentage of these 8 keys (as relating to cent values) was basically 70% (I rounded up slightly)

I really think pence copies are getting good recognition right now and may continue to go up in price.

that's very interesting data, thanks for compiling

pretty encouraging to see

is there any quick way of seeing a summary of the top CGC grades in each Marvel pence key?

i.e. the highest graded pence copies

I had some pence copies on comiclink last year, they did not do very well ;-(

Avengers 2 CGC 7.0 $375

Avengers 4 CGC 6.5 $407 really gutted about this one

Daredevil 2 CGC FN- $81

Daredevil 3 CGC 7.0 $186

Tales of Suspense 18 CGC 4.5 $62

X-Men 1 CGC 6.0 $2655 ;-( and this one

X-Men 2 CGC 6.0 $305

X-Men 4 CGC 5.0 $406

Anyone know what these percentages are?

that's very interesting data, thanks for compiling

pretty encouraging to see

is there any quick way of seeing a summary of the top CGC grades in each Marvel pence key?

i.e. the highest graded pence copies

GPA has data for Pence copies. It is probably not ALL the data, but it is a good share.

Beyond the cover, is there any other way to tell the difference between a pence copy and a regular copy?

If a Pence copy is missing the front cover you may as well call it a Cent copy. Everything is EXACTLY the same. Even the back cover.

So no way? I guess it would be a great way for coverless Pence's to sell for more.