• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics to scoop up quietly

110 posts in this topic

So, each age has its own "Comics heating up on ebay" thread. I thought it'd be fun to start talking about comics that are not heating up. But are good bets to pick up now cheap, before they DO heat up. I'd like NOT to focus on speculation about which character(s) will appear in a movie or TV show, because that's happening all over the place. I'd rather focus on artists, art, great covers, great writing...which haven't yet received their due, but which collectors are quietly picking up because they think they will go up in the future, or just because they're such good values now.

I know a couple years ago I went on an Adam Hughes covers binge and was able to get a couple Catwoman 51s and Wonder Woman 184s for cover or less.

I also think Bolland has some Wonder Woman covers (other than 72) that will quietly sneak up in value.

Oh, and while everyone's going crazy (justifiably) for Phil Jimenez's Wonder Woman '77 Special variant cover, I'd recommend snagging this amazing book for cover or less:

magazines-14la.jpg

Or this stunning Bolland Wonder Woman...tough to find...but worth keeping an eye out for:

1152703-ah197.jpg

If you can't afford Adam Hughes's Spider-Gwen cover, would you settle for Adam Hughes Mary Jane?

f21d0113-7cdb-448a-8052-bb14d02de448.jpg

And, since I mentioned Catwoman, also tough to find...but gettable for cheap...this overlooked Adam Hughes cover:

ImagineFXcw.jpg

And since I've been doing all magazines, here's an Adam Hughes beauty that my LCS just picked up for me because they know I'm a Hughes hunter. Cost me $10 in at least nm-.

846033-8.jpg

LOTS of classic Dave Stevens covers, for instance, can still be had in the wild for cheap, too. So, what are your undiscovered gems? Let's see 'em!

That Sally Forth is pretty difficult to find, or at least it has been for me! I have a VG copy at best. I didn't realize that Back Issues had used the image from HeroesCon on one of their mags so that is good to know as well :thumbsup:

I'm no detective, but I sense....a theme....with the covers you collect. lol

At one point years ago, I felt like collecting 1st/early comic work of various writers and artists (Perez, Byrne, Waid, Ross, Busiek, McFarlane, etc.). That was fun. Couldn't tell you those issues now off-hand though without going back in to refresh my memory.

I'd rather focus on artists, art, great covers, great writing...which haven't yet received their due, but which collectors are quietly picking up because they think they will go up in the future, or just because they're such good values now.

So, what are your undiscovered gems? Let's see 'em!

OK. This one's a no-brainer and you asked for it. :) Here goes nuthin'...

rantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrant

:pullhair: Why in the hell Batman 258 gets no love is beyond me. "Two-Face appearance"? Seriously? That's it? Or the wildly important "Cavalier appearance"? C'mon.

If you collect Batman, DCAU, Harley Quinn, Nolan movies, Arkham City stuff or anything else connected to the Batman mythos why wouldn't you snag this book? Batman 258 is confirmed and listed by damn near every DC Comics or Wiki site out there as a KEY ISSUE in the grand tradition of key issues. Period. End of story. :sumo:

And yet it gets near zero recognition in the market. For who the hell knows why.

1302122049591.jpg

At one point years ago, I felt like collecting 1st/early comic work of various writers and artists (Perez, Byrne, Waid, Ross, Busiek, McFarlane, etc.). That was fun. Couldn't tell you those issues now off-hand though without going back in to refresh my memory.

Ha! There's definitely a cheesecake sub-theme, but, no, that's not all I collect. In decades collecting I've also been ahead (at least slightly) of the pack on Batmans, 100-Page Giants and other trends...but I do think current/modern Good Girl Art is undervalued at the moment...

I'd rather focus on artists, art, great covers, great writing...which haven't yet received their due, but which collectors are quietly picking up because they think they will go up in the future, or just because they're such good values now.

:pullhair: Why in the hell Batman 258 gets no love is beyond me. "Two-Face appearance"? Seriously? That's it? Or the wildly important "Cavalier appearance"? C'mon.

If you collect Batman, DCAU, Harley Quinn, Nolan movies, Arkham City stuff or anything else connected to the Batman mythos why wouldn't you snag this book?

Batman 258 is confirmed and listed by damn near every DC Comics or Wiki site out there as a KEY ISSUE in the grand tradition of key issues. Period. End of story. :sumo:

And yet it gets near zero recognition in the market. For who the hell knows why.

1302122049591.jpg

What am I missing? Why is this a big deal?

If you collect Batman, DCAU, Harley Quinn, Nolan movies, Arkham City stuff or anything else connected to the Batman mythos why wouldn't you have this book? (shrug)

Batman 258 is confirmed and listed by damn near every DC Comics or Wiki site out there as a KEY ISSUE in the grand tradition of key issues. Period. End of story. :sumo:

1302122049591.jpg

Yeah, that one is criminally undervalued. If they'd put Arkham on the cover it would be worth 5x what it is now.

That Sally Forth is pretty difficult to find, or at least it has been for me! I have a VG copy at best. I didn't realize that Back Issues had used the image from HeroesCon on one of their mags so that is good to know as well :thumbsup:

Which HeroCon? Pic???

A NON-cheesecake title I almost always pick up when I can--and has already appreciated but still has a lot of room to grow: Marvelman.

The originals. From the 1950s. They're incredibly rare, but considering this is a character that's about to have NEW stories by Neil Gaiman...and will be in print forever from Marvel Comics...and may even eventually join the Marvel Universe...the chance to pick up a 1950s issue for $10 or $20?

The supply on ebay has started to dry up--I only see three or four issues up there now, but they do show up and they can often be won for $20 or less. Not a short-term flip, but long-term? Oh, yes.

Thank you. You're making my point. You should know, right? Overstreet or CGC should help you with that, but they don't. Don't know why.

I feel like I have seen the "first Arkham" notation somewhere; I just couldn't remember the issue number off-hand. First Bullock was also never noted (or was wrongly noted). Guessing that might change thanks to Gotham.

Yes! I did the same with some of those. Also, early (and rare) Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. Some of them have definitely NOT been undervalued...but some of them I was able to yoink because no one else knew what they were or was looking for them. Yet!

Thank you. You're making my point. You should know, right? Overstreet or CGC should help you with that, but they don't. Don't know why.

I feel like I have seen the "first Arkham" notation somewhere; I just couldn't remember the issue number off-hand. First Bullock was also never noted (or was wrongly noted). Guessing that might change thanks to Gotham.

I kinda doubt it. If being a focal driver for comics, movies, animation, hardcover books, video games, action figures, lego, toys and fresh new breakout characters like Quinn, I don't see why Gotham would make much difference.

There's some HUA problem surrounding Batman 258. Just not sure what it is or what will finally pull heads out.