• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics to scoop up quietly

110 posts in this topic

"Comics to scoop up quietly"..........

.........until you start a thread about it in CG. ;)

Well, for the most part I'm not listing the ones I don't have yet! ;)

Yeah, not a lot of people lining up to contribute their favorite 'scoops'!

Here are a couple - The maximum carnage storyline went for fourteen issues through five Spidey titles. I pick them up for a buck apiece when I see them.

Also, Amazing Spider-man volume 2 issues 20-52. Apart from issue 36 and some of the Campbell covers they really don't see much action, but I pick these up when I see them thinking that ASM completists will be looking for them eventually.

(shrug)

I pick these up if I see newsstand copies

And thus, the problem with all of these threads. Very little new information shared but lurkers get all the benefit. In comics buying and selling, information = $$$. Not sure why anyone would, or why they would expect others to, share valuable information.

And thus, the problem with all of these threads. Very little new information shared but lurkers get all the benefit. In comics buying and selling, information = $$$. Not sure why anyone would, or why they would expect others to, share valuable information.

I'd happily share it if I was trying to sell it.

What are the odds of seeing Silver Surfer in the Avengers movies? I can't see making a Infinity Gauntlet movie without the Silver Surfer. Marvel probably sold off his rights but if Spidey can come back . .

Well, I shared ones I'm not really hunting any more. It's fun to see what trends other people are predicting based on their own quiet scooping.

Another one I tried to do quietly a while ago was high-grade copies of Bernie Wrightson and Neal Adams Dollar Comics covers. Tough tough tough to find--but not necessarily outrageously priced when you do. (Yet.)

What are the odds of seeing Silver Surfer in the Avengers movies? I can't see making a Infinity Gauntlet movie without the Silver Surfer. Marvel probably sold off his rights but if Spidey can come back . .

Very low indeed. Considering that they seem to be writing Warlock out too, it's not farfetched to see them go ahead without the Surfer.

Surfer isn't coming back to Marvel anytime soon. His rights are tied up with FF. Same with Galactus. Marvel wanted both of them back in exchange for letting Fox take more time to get their DD movie done a year or 3 back. Fox offered them 1 or the other of the 2 for more time with DD. Marvel said "DD or Surfer & Galactus but not just one of the 2" and that was that. Marvel got DD back, Fox kept Surfer & Galactus.

Most here are focusing on superhero-type stuff, here are my picks for NON-superhero sleepers ....

Bongo comics (Simpsons, Futurama) - some back issues already showing appreciation

Fantagraphics/Drawn & Quarterly - many great series: Acme Novelty Library, Eightball, Meat Cake already showing movement

Actually, in general the smaller publishers who put out top quality books are good bets. Low print runs, and great comics have long lasting appeal

I know a couple years ago I went on an Adam Hughes covers binge and was able to get a couple Catwoman 51s and Wonder Woman 184s for cover or less.

I also think Bolland has some Wonder Woman covers (other than 72) that will quietly sneak up in value.

I always pick up any AH or Bolland WW covers I find in grade, especially if they're only a buck or so. You can never have too many. Two classic cover runs on the same title, really gorgeous stuff. You can't go wrong.

And since I've been doing all magazines, here's an Adam Hughes beauty that my LCS just picked up for me because they know I'm a Hughes hunter. Cost me $10 in at least nm-. 846033-8.jpg

I put together a near complete AH run several years ago, and I remember getting this one cheap through Bud Plant. They had "Sally Forth" comic packs for just a couple of bucks, and this cover was included. I think there was also a Los Bros cover in that run as well, though I can't remember if it was Beto or Xaime.

A lot of BP's stuff was expensive compared to rates you could get via Amazon etc, but you really couldn't beat their clearance prices for random art comics.

Yeah, not a lot of people lining up to contribute their favorite 'scoops'!

Here are a couple - The maximum carnage storyline went for fourteen issues through five Spidey titles. I pick them up for a buck apiece when I see them.

Also, Amazing Spider-man volume 2 issues 20-52. Apart from issue 36 and some of the Campbell covers they really don't see much action, but I pick these up when I see them thinking that ASM completists will be looking for them eventually.

(shrug)

They already are. Non-key issues from the early 400's to mid 500's don't sit for long. They are among the quick sellers even at $3-5 a piece at cons. Fortunately I've already completed the vol 2 run but I still grab the Campbell and Carnage covers whenever I find them in dollar bins in decent shape for $1-2.

The problem with this thread is once it's on here it isn't very quiet anymore so it's only good if you want to promote something you already have.

Most here are focusing on superhero-type stuff, here are my picks for NON-superhero sleepers ....

Bongo comics (Simpsons, Futurama) - some back issues already showing appreciation

Fantagraphics/Drawn & Quarterly - many great series: Acme Novelty Library, Eightball, Meat Cake already showing movement

Actually, in general the smaller publishers who put out top quality books are good bets. Low print runs, and great comics have long lasting appeal

The Bongo stuff raises a really good point. Anything based on the timeless animated properties is probably a good long-term bet. Scooby Doo, Loony Tunes, Batman Animated, Marvel's kids' line...regardless of how popular they are a generation from now, they'll be rare as hen's teeth in top-grade condition.

I know a couple years ago I went on an Adam Hughes covers binge and was able to get a couple Catwoman 51s and Wonder Woman 184s for cover or less.

I also think Bolland has some Wonder Woman covers (other than 72) that will quietly sneak up in value.

I always pick up any AH or Bolland WW covers I find in grade, especially if they're only a buck or so. You can never have too many. Two classic cover runs on the same title, really gorgeous stuff. You can't go wrong.

True. Though some are definitely better than others. And some of the Bolland ones are amazing for bondage-type stuff. Yikes. I think some of this covers will look to another generation like "Black Like Me" Lois Lane looks to us. Just, wow.