• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics to scoop up quietly

110 posts in this topic

"Comics to scoop up quietly"..........

.........until you start a thread about it in CG. ;)

Well, for the most part I'm not listing the ones I don't have yet! ;)

Yeah, not a lot of people lining up to contribute their favorite 'scoops'!

Here are a couple - The maximum carnage storyline went for fourteen issues through five Spidey titles. I pick them up for a buck apiece when I see them.

Also, Amazing Spider-man volume 2 issues 20-52. Apart from issue 36 and some of the Campbell covers they really don't see much action, but I pick these up when I see them thinking that ASM completists will be looking for them eventually.

(shrug)

They already are. Non-key issues from the early 400's to mid 500's don't sit for long. They are among the quick sellers even at $3-5 a piece at cons. Fortunately I've already completed the vol 2 run but I still grab the Campbell and Carnage covers whenever I find them in dollar bins in decent shape for $1-2.

The problem with this thread is once it's on here it isn't very quiet anymore so it's only good if you want to promote something you already have.

Well, actually, I just pointed out that the animated/licensed comics are good bets to pick up cheaply/quietly and I don't have them (with some exceptions--bought Batman Adventures off the rack...) and don't plan to get them.

Besides, how many people are going to read this thread? How many LCSes do they have access to? There's not a horde of dealers rushing to raise their prices on the things we've talked about, I'm pretty sure.

I don't think any late 90's Spider-Mans are much of a secret, there's a store near Toronto that has been putting aside runs of those late ASM issues for about 10 years waiting for their prices to spike.

The books I don't understand are late 90's Heroes For Hire 10-11. Deadpool appearances that book at $3 each. Ostrander of Suicide Squad fame wrote them, and they're tough to find out in the wild. Plenty on eBay, but the print run on that title was about 15-17,000 copies per issue. No one seems to want them. (shrug)

It's already doubled since I hyped it on the boards about 6 months ago

I just kept bidding on Thor 103s till I finally got one for $20

The problem with this thread is once it's on here it isn't very quiet anymore so it's only good if you want to promote something you already have.

Well, I will share one, and I will explain why. I don't sell comics very often, but I buy a lot of them that I think are undervalued for reasons that are not logical.

If the values of these go up enough to get them out of the dollar boxes, I will stop buying them, and I will be less likely to end up on an episode of hoarders.

PPSM 85. It is a pretty good Hobgoblin cover and story. I find nice copies for 50 cents fairly regularly. Buy them so I don't have to.

I think Silver Age FF books are incredibly undervalued right now. Yes, the occasional 1st Black Panther or Inhumans book is blowing up here and there, but so many classic stories and character introductions and they're normally available really cheaply almost everywhere.

It's a great time to buy.

Well, I will share one, and I will explain why. I don't sell comics very often, but I buy a lot of them that I think are undervalued for reasons that are not logical.

If the values of these go up enough to get them out of the dollar boxes, I will stop buying them, and I will be less likely to end up on an episode of hoarders.

PPSM 85. It is a pretty good Hobgoblin cover and story. I find nice copies for 50 cents fairly regularly. Buy them so I don't have to.

The original Hobgoblin gains Goblin superpowers after fixing Osborn's formula. (thumbs u

I used to have a bunch, but sold most of them. But it's funny that you find them so cheap so often, since it's been broken out in the OPG for a long time with a price significantly higher than surrounding issues.

I think Silver Age FF books are incredibly undervalued right now. Yes, the occasional 1st Black Panther or Inhumans book is blowing up here and there, but so many classic stories and character introductions and they're normally available really cheaply almost everywhere.

It's a great time to buy.

I happen to agree. While it might not be the best time to buy 45 and 52, it's a GREAT time to buy everything else between 2-60.

I know a lot of people feel like JIM Thors pre-100 are tough to come by, but I actually had a tougher time finding Incredible Hulk 2-6. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see the early Hulks pop up as often as other early Marvel non-key issues.

I have a feeling thors 103-170 will spike eventually thats why I have dupes of most of those issues

I agree that early Journey Thors are tough to find in decent shape, and people charge good money for them. There's no sneaking up on those, if you want them, you've gotta pay the price.

I'm with Kav... *shudders*

Kirby Thors from 126-169 should be on more people's radars (170-177 were less inspired before Kirby's departure from Marvel). The 126 seems to have held its price, and the two Warlocks are GOTG speculation books, but the rest are gorgeous, and they sell for nothing. When these dry up, people are going to be kicking themselves.

The original Hobgoblin gains Goblin superpowers after fixing Osborn's formula. (thumbs u

I used to have a bunch, but sold most of them. But it's funny that you find them so cheap so often, since it's been broken out in the OPG for a long time with a price significantly higher than surrounding issues.

Many people around here throw most of those later Peter Parker's into the dollar box without a second thought (although I never find 83, the Punisher appearance). I was probably exaggerating how often I find it. I've found it 3-4 times for a dollar or less.

It may be broken out in OPG, but no one is really looking for it anymore.

Another group of books that I find cheap a lot are the later McFarlane ASMs (say 307 and later, not counting the Venom appearances). They don't seem to sell around here for more than a couple of bucks anymore. I found a couple in the 3/$1.00 box of a local store's convention stock. I asked him about them, because the last thing I need is more copies of books I already have that I will never get around to selling. They weren't a mistake, he was just trying to clear some space. So I bought them. :makepoint:

Another group of books that I find cheap a lot are the later McFarlane ASMs (say 307 and later, not counting the Venom appearances). They don't seem to sell around here for more than a couple of bucks anymore. I found a couple in the 3/$1.00 box of a local store's convention stock. I asked him about them, because the last thing I need is more copies of books I already have that I will never get around to selling. They weren't a mistake, he was just trying to clear some space. So I bought them. :makepoint:

ASMs in the early 300s aside from 301 and the venom issues are easy to find on the cheap but I agree that there is a lot of upside with these books.

Many people around here throw most of those later Peter Parker's into the dollar box without a second thought (although I never find 83, the Punisher appearance). I was probably exaggerating how often I find it. I've found it 3-4 times for a dollar or less.

It may be broken out in OPG, but no one is really looking for it anymore.

Amazing Spider-Mans are the gold standard in any era they were printed, someone always wants them. If you see them in a 3/$1 box, you take them all. You could set up on the side of a road and make a profit selling Spideys to passing traffic at that price.

Amazing Spider-Mans are the gold standard in any era they were printed, someone always wants them. If you see them in a 3/$1 box, you take them all. You could set up on the side of a road and make a profit selling Spideys to passing traffic at that price.

Well, there are some during the peak 90s drek years that never seem to get out of the dollar box. I think I'd pass on ASM 370 at 3/$1, for example.