• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics to scoop up quietly

110 posts in this topic

I like the following early Kevin Smith books for 2016+

Oni Double Feature #1 1st print purple cvr (1st Jay & Silent Bob; 1st Kevin Smith)

Clerks The Comic Book 1st print w/ pink Titz magazine (2nd Kevin Smith)

Oni Double Feature #12 (1st Bluntman & Chronic)

Post Comic Book Men, Smith's stuff is a little depressed. Clerks 3 is coming out & these three books are just post-crash, early '98 & his first work in comics (Oni 12 is 1999)

Captain America 6 (2004) can be found at a decent price. It's the first appearance of Winter Soilder. I don't understand why Spider-Gwen goes for so much yet this book can often be found for less.

You should check out Avengers #213, where Hank Pym pimp slaps Janet for trying to tell him what to do with his stuff. ;)

That's easy. Winter Soldier's already had his movie. The speculators have moved on.

The dudes who were chasing Cap 6 two years ago have moved on to Detective 474 instead (you know, the 2nd appearance of Deadshot).

That's easy. Winter Soldier's already had his movie. The speculators have moved on.

The dudes who were chasing Cap 6 two years ago have moved on to Detective 474 instead (you know, the 2nd appearance of Deadshot).

Same people who are buying Shazam 28 (you know, the second appearance of Black Adam).

Captain America 6 (2004) can be found at a decent price. It's the first appearance of Winter Soilder.

According to CGC's non-rules, it should be "Bucky Becomes Winter Soldier" but I guess dealers pay the bills over there and they've got crates full of Cap #6.

I have been picking up everything Neal Adams in:

Phantom Stranger

House of Mystery

House of Secrets

The Unexpected in its various titles

Over the past year I have managed to get VF+ to Mint copies under $20 even under $10 getting Neal to sign and then CGC them. The trend is definitely up in price and gets better over time. Many of those horror covers are classics.

Cheers, Howard

ASM 129 is a REAAAAL sleeper.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/71851

I thought the same thing earlier. For a book that's seemed to be treading water for a while, I think it'll generate some additional interest.

So, so glad I picked mine up last weekend after reading that article yesterday.

Yeah -- and we all know WBN 32 is next.

Although, I would lose my damn fool mind if Punisher cameo'd in Civil War.

His interactions with Cap were some of the best parts of that storyline.

Yeah -- and we all know WBN 32 is next.

Although, I would lose my damn fool mind if Punisher cameo'd in Civil War.

His interactions with Cap were some of the best parts of that storyline.

Assuming they take the notion of a shared universe seriously, and they acknowledge the TV DD as a part of the MCU, there wouldn't be any reason that the Punisher shouldn't show up in Civil War.

I sold both of my ASM 129's last year. Needed to free up a little cash at the time, didn't see the book exploding anytime soon, so I let them go for a price I was happy with.

Eventually I regretted letting them go, as I've always been fond of that yellow cover, and I knew EVENTUALLY The Punisher would show up in the MCU. So my PLAN had been to pick up some cheap mid-grade copies at shows this summer. Now I'm thinking I'm going to have to change my plan, or get deeper pockets.

(The lesson of the current market continues to be "It's not safe to let go of anything!")

As for books I scoop up quietly, aside from mid-level keys, I mostly troll around bargain bins, 50 cent and $1 boxes. In those instances, I never pass up Adam Hughes covers, Bolland Wonder Woman covers, Dave Stevens books, Phil Noto covers, or high-grade early Vertigo and proto-Vertigo books (Sandman, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, and the Morrison runs of Animal Man and Doom Patrol). I also tend to pick up late 90's Marvel major heroes (Spider-Man, DD, Thor) because print runs were not large on those books, but the characters endure. In grade, I think these are all very safe buys for a buck or less. If they're never worth more than the buck I pay for them, I"m still happy to have them in my collection.