• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand variants of variants and other variants of variants found
1 1

47 posts in this topic

I have found a few very unusual Newsstand variants where they actually changed the cover ....

Uncanny X-Men # 513 and 514 , plus Dark Avengers # 7 and 8, I personally have only the Raw copies right now, my newsstands are probably 9.0 to 9.2, 

here are a couple of pictures from Ebay listings ( not mine, just borrowed ) 

These were a cross over part of Utopia,  and the regular Direct editions had a UTOPIA logo front and center with the issue number in a small bar across the top.

I guess newsstands wanted the title to be more prominent, so there is a change where the Issue title and number are printed large center, ant the Utopia logo is on the small bar  across the top

593ff0045d902_514N.thumb.jpg.2ab5608f4997e73c1aecb222e059c2f0.jpg

593ff050632e3_514R.thumb.jpg.fc11dcfbed2b2804807d81576c5a4d8d.jpg

Of course asking prices are much different than sale prices, but they are asking $1,500 for the newsstand and $90 for the Direct  

Anyone else ever find different Newsstand covers... any titles

6 hours ago, LvDave77 said:

I have found a few very unusual Newsstand variants where they actually changed the cover ....

Uncanny X-Men # 513 and 514 , plus Dark Avengers # 7 and 8, I personally have only the Raw copies right now, my newsstands are probably 9.0 to 9.2, 

here are a couple of pictures from Ebay listings ( not mine, just borrowed ) 

These were a cross over part of Utopia,  and the regular Direct editions had a UTOPIA logo front and center with the issue number in a small bar across the top.

I guess newsstands wanted the title to be more prominent, so there is a change where the Issue title and number are printed large center, ant the Utopia logo is on the small bar  across the top

That would seem to be the likely explanation.

Of course asking prices are much different than sale prices, but they are asking $1,500 for the newsstand and $90 for the Direct  

:roflmao:

Anyone else ever find different Newsstand covers... any titles

There are a bunch of Marvels from around 2001-2009 where the covers (outside of the UPC box, of course) were at least slightly changed for the Newsstand edition.

For example, Daredevil (v.2) 16-25 have an additional title (Marvel Unlimited Featuring...) and 16-44 have no issue numbers, Fantastic Four (v.3) 554-569 have a different layout.

On 4-6-2017 at 1:59 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Amazing!

Yes, you don't see that often. I have nearly completed my ASM newsstand run, just needing some old books which are not that difficult to find. But many books of my collection are in the 8.5 or 9.0 range. If anybody has a ASM 607 that they want to sell for a nice price... Still want to upgrade that one.

So, I stumbled upon some issues from the Invincible Iron Man series from 2008... I believe it's issues 22-24, and they're the variants. They are also newsstand variants with a different cover price and barcode text. I was unaware that Marvel put out variants into newsstand retailers... are there more examples like this?

1 hour ago, BishopT said:

So, I stumbled upon some issues from the Invincible Iron Man series from 2008... I believe it's issues 22-24, and they're the variants. They are also newsstand variants with a different cover price and barcode text. I was unaware that Marvel put out variants into newsstand retailers... are there more examples like this?

Can you post a scan of the books?

They're being held for me at a store, but I should get them by Wednesday, I'll try and post pics then. But, yeah, they're the variants like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-INVINCIBLE-IRON-MAN-23-VARIANT-NEAR-MINT-MARVEL-COMICS-GHOST-THUNDERBOLTS-/263069704192?hash=item3d402d2000:g:uEQAAOSwv0tVHUA8

...except they're $3.99 cover price and some say newsstand, while others have the weird title like "Marvel Universe" where it should say "Direct Edition"... I may be off on the wording, but that's the general idea.