• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

Deadpool creator Rob Liefeld reported some high praise from a The New Mutants test screening. He talked to Inverse about Marvel’s Phase 4 and what’s going on with a bunch of movie projects over there. Well, the creator thinks that the movie should make its way to the fans as it stands right now. Liefeld pointed out that The New Mutants was actually shot back when Deadpool 2’s production was going on. Well, it’s been years since the Deadpool sequel. If the final product is anything like the 2017 test screening he refers to, then fans are in for a real treat. However, it’s been a long time since then, there’s no telling what kind of tweaks have taken place in post-production.

Liefeld said, “That New Mutants movie was shot before Deadpool 2. Next week is two years since Deadpool 2 came out. New Mutants was shot before, and I don’t know what the hell happened, dude. Now it’s on Amazon for pre-order? Just give it to us. Here’s the truth: my friends saw a test screening, and I couldn’t attend that day. I would have been able to sneak in. They loved it. Here’s what I know: all my friends who saw New Mutants in December of 2017 loved it. They loved it.”

“They were describing it to me, they said a couple of special effects weren’t done, but they loved it. Then it got taken off the schedule, and then Disney happened, but I hear it’s great,” he added. “Here’s the deal: do you really want to go back and sit in the theater? I’m a giant movie nerd, and it’s gonna be a long time. I do not miss it… I’m not going to a theater where you can sneeze on me. I think we’ve all gotten a little agoraphobic.”

newr-mutants.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1
Fox

The much-delayed former Fox/Marvel The New Mutants is not going to Disney+ or Hulu, and remains on track for a theatrical release, now set for Aug. 28 this year. The pic’s history of release dates include April 13, 2018; Feb. 22, 2019; Aug. 2, 2019; and previously April 3 of this year. How old is New Mutants? Old Fox first dropped a trailer for the Josh Boone-directed movie at CinemaCon 2017. Even though there were rumors that New Mutants would head to Hulu pre Fox merger, Disney has remained committed to the pic’s theatrical release.

Edited by paperheart

I can't see people going back to movies this year in anywhere close to HALF of the numbers they were before the shutdown.  It's difficult to imagine how Hollywood blockbusters aren't totally screwed until there's an immunization.

22 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I can't see people going back to movies this year in anywhere close to HALF of the numbers they were before the shutdown.  It's difficult to imagine how Hollywood blockbusters aren't totally screwed until there's an immunization.

This. Don't understand why they don't just shuffle this to a direct release on Hulu.

10 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This. Don't understand why they don't just shuffle this to a direct release on Hulu.

there was a comment in one of the Deadline articles months ago that sounded like it was coming from someone with insider knowledge and had something to do with the structure of the deal that basically guaranteed this would be released theatrically. wasn't paying enough attention to remember exactly what was written.

Edited by paperheart

13 minutes ago, paperheart said:

there was a comment in one of the Deadline articles months ago that sounded like it was coming from someone with insider knowledge and had something to do with the structure of the deal that basically guaranteed this would be released theatrically. wasn't paying enough attention to remember exactly what was written.

Different situation. It was concerning an HBO legal deal with streaming that Disney could have taken advantage of with Disney+.

A Legal Loophole Could Bring 'The New Mutants' to Disney+ According to an MCU Insider

Inside ‘The New Mutants’ Disney+ leak 

According to Mikey Sutton’s insider intel, The New Mutants will not receive a theatrical release amid the coronavirus pandemic; the movie will instead premiere on Disney+. Sutton stated:

…Disney is seriously considering dropping The New Mutants on Disney+, possibly by this summer. Please note that, as of this reporting, no final decision has been made yet. Obviously, the situation with the global pandemic has made it difficult to nail down any theatrical release plans or alternatives. But Disney has weighed their options regarding The New Mutants and they seem to be in agreement this is the best path for that particular movie going forward. It has a modest budget that so they won’t actually being leaving money on the table, and its presence on Disney+ could give the channel a much-needed jolt.

Though all seemed logical, questions on legal issues surrounding Fox and HBO quickly surfaced, leading Mikey Sutton to explain the loophole at Disney’s disposal, that will allow Disney to place the content on its streaming platform. 

How can ‘The New Mutants’ premiere on Disney+ if Fox has a preexisting deal with HBO?

Fox has a deal with HBO — one preexisting the merger with Disney — that grants the network access to Fox movies, including the ‘X-Men.’ And, since HBO’s streaming network is soon to be released, many presumed that Fox’s The New Mutants should belong to HBO.

Sutton explained that the deal only impacts theatrically released movies, and The New Mutants has not come out in theaters; thus, Disney has a loophole that it could easily exploit now that it owns the rights to Fox properties. Sutton explained:

…A number of people have been asking me about the existing deal Fox had with HBO prior to Disney. I did ask this but forgot to mention it in my New Mutants scoop as I was balancing another scoop simultaneously. I was told that the deal only affected theatrically released Fox movies. The New Mutants didn’t come out in theaters; hence, a loophole that will allow its inclusion on Disney+.

- Mikey Sutton 

So, if you are waiting to see The New Mutants, you may not have to wait much longer if you subscribe to Disney+; If you don’t have a subscription, you may wish to consider getting one. 

On 5/13/2020 at 4:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

Different situation. It was concerning an HBO legal deal with streaming that Disney could have taken advantage of with Disney+.

A Legal Loophole Could Bring 'The New Mutants' to Disney+ According to an MCU Insider

I get the potential loophole, but I can't see this coming out on Disney+ due to its horror tone.

Hell - Twitter was abuzz with folks yesterday *begging* Disney not to edit Hamilton when it premieres on Disney+ on July 3 -- not just the curse words, but there's fear Disney may alter/omit the Maria Reynolds storyline due to its adult themes.

52 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I get the potential loophole, but I can't see this coming out on Disney+ due to its horror tone.

Hell - Twitter was abuzz with folks yesterday *begging* Disney not to edit Hamilton when it premieres on Disney+ on July 3 -- not just the curse words, but there's fear Disney may alter/omit the Maria Reynolds storyline due to its adult themes.

That's why the 'industry insider' was ridiculed later on by The Hollywood Report, Deadline and a few others sites for not knowing what he was talking about. To include Daniel Richtman regularly taking shots at his insider information.

I agree with you that Disney+'s standards would get in the way. But this is why the strategy is to move such content over to Hulu, the sister streaming site, that can play such content.

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

That's why the 'industry insider' was ridiculed later on by The Hollywood Report, Deadline and a few others sites for not knowing what he was talking about. To include Daniel Richtman regularly taking shots at his insider information.

I agree with you that Disney+'s standards would get in the way. But this is why the strategy is to move such content over to Hulu, the sister streaming site, that can play such content.

I get that. See my comment on Wednesday - if this goes streaming, I've always thought it would go to Hulu.

But the articles above make it seem the "loophole" applies only to theatrical vs. Disney+.

Hulu's (curiously) not part of that equation.

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I get that. See my comment on Wednesday - if this goes streaming, I've always thought it would go to Hulu.

But the articles above make it seem the "loophole" applies only to theatrical vs. Disney+.

Hulu's (curiously) not part of that equation.

The article noted Disney can stream this film directly based on the assumption the Fox/HBO deal opened up this path. What the insider Sutton missed the boat on is assuming Disney only had one streaming path for consideration (Disney+).

So yes, the article still applies as a rumor that paperheart assumed meant The New Mutants was required to be released in theater. Yet the rumor was a streaming play.