• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

Emergency Awesome review with a mix of non-spoilers and spoilers.

Mid-budget Logan-like movie so don't expect something massive. And much more horror than Marvel films have contained. But very short (90 minutes) and not complex.

Anya Taylor-Joy (Magik) is the standout star. Maisie Williams was also a standout. Better if they had truly committed to the horror elements like was planned for the reshoots.

Enjoyable, but mid-budget quality.

The New Mutants Co-Creator Was Disrespected By The Movie But He Urges Fans To ‘Calm Down'

Paired with the release of the film Friday, the comic’s co-creator shared his thoughts about Josh Boone’s superhero film, and he was majorly disappointed.

One day after his comments, Bob McLeod is pulling back a little bit after they quickly went viral. In his words on Twitter:

"I'm a bit overwhelmed by the explosive news coverage my comments yesterday about The New Mutants movie received. For the record, I did not say it was a bad film. I haven't even seen it, and I think it looks like great fun, actually. I was merely expressing my disappointment that the characters didn't have the signature attributes I gave them when I created their images. Is it so surprising that would bother me? Particularly when the one character I didn't create, Magik, looks so spot on like the comics?"

McLeod is clearing the air, admitting he has not yet seen the movie and cannot judge the quality. However, he did want to express his dissatisfaction with how the characters were adapted to the screen. Josh Boone has been under fire for white-washing a number of characters in the film, including Henry Zaga’s Sunspot, who is played by a Brazilian actor. However, in the comics he is a biracial character of Afro-Brazilian descent and dark-skinned.

"And Henry Zaga not being dark-skinned like my Sunspot had already been an issue all over the news, so that wasn't anything new, although it is a very troubling issue. I have nothing against Henry Zaga as a person or an actor. I've never seen him act. I feel sorry for Zaga that he's been hurt by something that is not at all his fault."

"I also totally understand that Josh Boone is a fan of Bill Sienkiewicz's art on the comic, not mine, and the movie is based on his Demon Bear storyline, and that's great. I'm also a big fan of Bill's art. The main thing that upset me was the misspelling of my name in the credits, which I've since learned has happened many times to many creators. I'll get over it. Everyone needs to calm down."

Edited by Bosco685

Man, social media is just trashing the director as a racist for not casting a much darker-skinned Brazilian actor for Sunspot. Even though the actor is actually Brazilian (Henry Zaga).

Even the character spot makes it clear he is a Hispanic male of means from Brazil.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Man, social media is just trashing the director as a racist for not casting a much darker-skinned Brazilian actor for Sunspot. Even though the actor is actually Brazilian (Henry Zaga).

Even the character spot makes it clear he is a Hispanic male of means from Brazil.

So many people looking for a reason to be butthurt. I feel sorry for them...

Edited by Callaway29

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

So many people looking for a reason to be butthurt. I feel sorry for them...

Not to point fingers, but Roberto DaCosta “Sunspot” was definitely whitewashed. Being Afro-Brazilian was kind of core to his character. Yes, the actor was Brazilian, but that’s like saying you could cast a Caucasian American as Sam Wilson because Sam is an American. Roberto actually discovered his powers when he was the victim of a racist attack. His co-creator Bob “Macleod” himself wasn’t too happy about it.

F758528C-7078-4995-97CB-26D0CC876A6A.jpeg.83f7d859a2458ad9245d98501bd619d6.jpeg

Edited by @therealsilvermane

I just saw the movie tonight.  It was the first movie I watched outside my home since March (I believe it was The Invisible Hand).  I actually saw it in a Drive In theater - great experience after the lockdown.

The movie was ... meh.  Not really a good movie if you're going to pay to watch it.  I'd wait for it to come out on D+ in a few weeks.  If this were back in the day, this would be one of those straight to video movies.

6 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not to point fingers, but Roberto DaCosta “Sunspot” was definitely whitewashed. Being Afro-Brazilian was kind of core to his character. Yes, the actor was Brazilian, but that’s like saying you could cast a Caucasian American as Sam Wilson because Sam is an American. Roberto actually discovered his powers when he was the victim of a racist attack. His co-creator Bob “Macleod” himself wasn’t too happy about it.

You would be on point if Henry Zaga wasn't of Hispanic heritage.

Henry Zaga IMDb page

Henry Zaga is a latino actor born in Brasília, Brazil's capital city. His mother Sônia Gontijo is of Spanish and Native Brazilian descent, and his father Admar Gonzaga is Italian-Portuguese.

Although Sunpot was slightly darker in comics, he is still of Hispanic descent. So not the same as a black role replaced a Caucasian, or vice versa.

6 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Roberto actually discovered his powers when he was the victim of a racist attack. His co-creator Bob “Macleod” himself wasn’t too happy about it.

F758528C-7078-4995-97CB-26D0CC876A6A.jpeg.83f7d859a2458ad9245d98501bd619d6.jpeg

Yes, the co-creator noted his original concerns. He then followed up with this.

The main thing that concerned him was the misspelling of his name - straight from the co-creator. You may have missed this post. Because THAT didn't lead to a follow-up article.

Although Sunpot was slightly darker in comics, he is still of Hispanic descent. So not the same as a black role replaced a Caucasian, or vice versa.

Technically, Brazilians aren’t Hispanic as they speak Portuguese, not Spanish. Anyway, it’s more than just Sunspot being slightly darker. In the comics, Bobby’s father is black. Half the population of Brazil is black.That’s core to Bobby’s character development. Mutant hate in Marvel is often Interpreted as a metaphor for racism. Bobby, in the New Mutants, was the face of that. That seems to have been painted over for this movie. Brazil is now a big part of international box office, especially with comic book movies. I wonder if Fox was considering that when casting Sunspot?

The main thing that concerned him was the misspelling of his name - straight from the co-creator. You may have missed this post. Because THAT didn't lead to a follow-up article

Seems more to me that Mr. McLeod’s first post was from the gut and the second post was political. Kind of like when Mark Hamill walked back his statement on Luke Skywalker in TLJ. We all still know how Mark really felt. Anyway, I like to judge these things for myself. Debating on going to the matinee of this today if the Dolby theater is empty enough.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

17 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Technically, Brazilians aren’t Hispanic as they speak Portuguese, not Spanish.

It's not that cut and dry, unfortunately. The debate over Latino versus Hispanic being language-based versus location or linked heritage changes depending on the source and reference history.

Pew Research Center: Who is Hispanic?

Debates over who is Hispanic and who is not have fueled conversations about identity among Americans who trace their heritage to Latin America or Spain. The question surfaced during U.S. presidential debates and the confirmation of Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court. More recently, it bubbled up after a singer from Spain won the “Best Latin” award at the 2019 Video Music Awards.

So, who is considered Hispanic in the United States? And how are they counted in public opinion surveys, voter exit polls and government surveys like the upcoming 2020 census?

The most common approach to answering these questions is straightforward: Who is Hispanic? Anyone who says they are. And nobody who says they aren’t.

The American Census is what attempted to make it language-based, which is not the world view.

17 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Seems more to me that Mr. McLeod’s first post was from the gut and the second post was political. Kind of like when Mark Hamill walked back his statement on Luke Skywalker in TLJ. We all still know how Mark really felt. Anyway, I like to judge these things for myself. Debating on going to the matinee of this today if the Dolby theater is empty enough.

Or - and this may be a shocker - he reflected more on what he posted and then followed up with a more clear-headed rationale. Did you know at one point Rosario Dawson was attached to the production?

Rosario Dawson leaves New Mutants, Alice Braga steps in to replace her

Then they were going to have Alexandra Shipp star in the film. But Apocalypse went over so poorly, she was pulled from the -script.

‘The New Mutants’ Was Originally a Direct Sequel to ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’

So if the intent was to whitewash the film, why did they try and pull these actresses into the production? Calling someone a racist because they cast a lighter-skinned Latino/Hispanic actor is a harsh jump.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's not that cut and dry, unfortunately. The debate over Latino versus Hispanic being language-based versus location or linked heritage changes depending on the source and reference history.

Pew Research Center: Who is Hispanic?

The American Census is what attempted to make it language-based, which is not the world view.

Or - and this may be a shocker - he reflected more on what he posted and then followed up with a more clear-headed rationale. Did you know at one point Rosario Dawson was attached to the production?

Rosario Dawson leaves New Mutants, Alice Braga steps in to replace her

Then they were going to have Alexandra Shipp star in the film. But Apocalypse went over so poorly, she was pulled from the --script.

‘The New Mutants’ Was Originally a Direct Sequel to ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’

So if the intent was to whitewash the film, why did they try and pull these actresses into the production? Calling someone a racist because they cast a lighter-skinned Latino/Hispanic actor is a harsh jump.

Not that it matters anyway, as this movie is pretty much a relic of the past now, but it would have been cool to see the movie New Mutants "look" as diverse as they did when Claremont and McLeod first introduced them, including a Vietnamese Xi'an Coy Manh "Karma" and a black Bobby DaCosta. Right now, the official movie poster looks about as diverse as a 1970's slasher movie poster.

unnamed.jpg.da04f45fa039060466751934ff084e84.jpg

If I go see this, it's mostly because I'm a fan of Dani's Demon Bear story and would like to see that on a big screen. Our IMAX matinee is empty today so I may go see it there. Hopefully, when Disney/Marvel Studios is ready to unleash the mutants years from now, they'll give our New Mutants the international treatment they were meant to have. Too bad, because that Illyana looks spot on.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Does the pandemic reducing theater attendance factor into this at all?

A bit, but I don't think by much.

Sure...Bloodshot opened on 400+ more screens than did New Mutants. But it also opened on Mar. 13 - my office (and many others here in DC/Va.) went to WFH due to the pandemic on Mar. 11-12. My high school buddy and I cancelled our long-standing plan to see it that weekend because of COVID.

Meanwhile, half a dozen of my Facebook friends - and their families - have already seen New Mutants, mostly via drive-ins.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

A bit, but I don't think by much.S

Spoiler

ure...Bloodshot opened on 400+ more screens than did New Mutants. But it also opened on Mar. 13 - my office (and many others here in DC/Va.) went to WFH due to the pandemic on Mar. 11-12. My high school buddy and I cancelled our long-standing plan to see it that weekend because of COVID.

Meanwhile, half a dozen of my Facebook friends - and their families - have already seen New Mutants, mostly via drive-ins.

I think you have to factor in unique regional experience versus across the board theater attendance.

Drive-ins are definitely an option for those wanting to stay distant. Though then if anyone needs to use the restroom you are forced into a public area. And some films are only allowing drive-in showings in the same area where walk-in theaters are also available.

Some are filming their theater experiences while also offering film reviews. AMC Theaters are operating at 40% Capacity.

A -60% reduced capacity is a massive impact to theater availability and attendance.

Edited by Bosco685