• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

Director Josh Boone spoke with the press at a set visit for The New Mutants and explained why the film couldn't be set at the X-Mansion.

"They're very much in a place that's like a psych hold for mutants who are too dangerous to be at the mansion," Boone explained. "I'd tell you more, but there's twists and turns and all that. But yeah, there's a doctor there who helps them and they do that stuff. Like I said, a little Girl Interrupted and [One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest] and a horror movie."

We do know that the film was shot in the same location as Shutter Island, Martin Scorsese's psychological thriller with Leonardo DiCaprio. The New Mutants set designer Molly Hughes explained how they used the location to lean into the horror aspects, making it unlike any other X-Men movies.

"We settled on here because, well, it's beautiful and it's isolated and we could have kind of the run of it," Hughes said. "We did a lot of demolition to create our interiors because we couldn't just walk into our interiors and shoot them. Most of them were falling down. We kind of came here for the shell. I love the windows and the trees and the old red brick. It has that New England, Salem Witch Trials, possibly English, playing on the X-Mansion, kind of turning that on its head. That's how we ended up here."

Fans have tons of questions about the final film in the X-Men movie saga as the horror-themed spinoff The New Mutants is finally set to premiere in theaters in a couple of months. This movie will be unlike anything seen in the franchise to date, as it will focus on a group of young mutants who don't benefit from the influence of Professor Xavier, and will instead be prisoners in an insane asylum for a mysterious purpose. It's within this facility that they will be forced to confront the mysterious entity of the Demon Bear.

Director Josh Boone addressed the inclusion of this iconic X-Men villain, confirming that the Demon Bear would be unlike anything fans of The New Mutants comics are expecting to see.

"We've changed stuff, we've really taken the characters we love from the comics and put them into our version of the movie because, if you just did it, it’d just be another X-Men movie," Boone explained in an interview with ScreenRant. "I just knew we always wanted to do the Demon Bear story, Knate [Lee] and I, my co-writer... And when we went to go tell Fox we wanted to do this movie, we made them a comic book, it was like a PDF that pitched them kind of a trilogy of films, each one's its own unique kind of horror movie, the first one's a supernatural horror movie."

Boone has previously teased his plans for a trilogy, which might not be a sure thing now that Marvel Studios is set to incorporate the X-Men franchise into their ongoing continuity of films. But the director still "won't say what the other two are, but they're horror movies but different horror movie each time."

Please be so good, Feige decides to maintain a parallel X-Franchise like this. :wishluck:

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

If the Tomatometer on this is fresh I will be utterly shocked.

My gut agrees (thinking 35 range) but I'm actually liking the recent couple previews more so I'm going with a shocking 62 for the TM.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:
4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

If the Tomatometer on this is fresh I will be utterly shocked.

My gut agrees (thinking 35 range) but I'm actually liking the recent couple previews more so I'm going with a shocking 62 for the TM.

I have no idea, I'm just saying that based upon the film's repetitive release delays.  I've generally enjoyed all of the trailers from the past few years but I can't tell much from them.  I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I have no idea, I'm just saying that based upon the film's repetitive release delays.  I've generally enjoyed all of the trailers from the past few years but I can't tell much from them.  I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

It's hard not to assume the worst when a film has experienced such hurdles to any release happening. But now that Kinberg is out of the picture and Feige is the one pushing this forward with NO RESHOOTS as was originally planned by Kinberg, I am leaning towards this may be an untampered with surprise.

THE NEW MUTANTS will finally see the late of day in April after a series of delays that have spanned more than two years. The wait actually feels longer because I can remember seeing the first trailer back in 2017, thus beginning a long and winding road to the big screen as Fox's final X-MEN film almost seemed like it was doomed to remain on the shelf. Actress Anya Taylor-Joy, who co-stars in the film as Magik, was recently promoting Autumn de Wilde's Jane Austen adaptation EMMA and she revealed that the final cut of the film is complete and that director Josh Boone is very happy with it.

Via, Collider Video, Taylor-Joy confirmed that the final cut of THE NEW MUTANTS is officially completed and she has seen the final result of a film that she's just happy to prove her and and her co-stars, actually took part in:

"I have seen the final cut of the movie, which is really nice cause Josh Boone is really happy with it, and it was just nice to get the gang all together again...It felt like this imaginary friend that you keep telling people is real, but other people haven't seen it yet. Now I'm like 'I told you! It's a real thing."

I can't blame Tayloy-Joy for feeling like people may think the film is just a figment of her imagination. It almost felt like a morbid game watching THE NEW MUTANTS struggle to get its moment on the big screen. Orginaly scheduled to open in Spring 2018, THE NEW MUTANTS was delayed by Fox so that reshoots could be completed  that, reportedly, would bring the film closer to Boone's NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET-inspired vision. THE NEW MUTANTS was promoted from that start as a comic book film that was tinged with a bit of horror, a bit of a rarity for the recent boom of comic book films. Matters were further complicated by Disney's subsequent purchase of Fox's movie and TV IPs which led to the film being pushed so far back that the reshoots were ultimately canceled with the movie ultimately landing on its current release date. 

Back in December, Boone confirmed that Disney would be releasing his original version of the film which is more in line with his vision for the project. In some ways, the delays have created a bit a pre-release buzz because moviegoers are just wanting to see how it all turned out on its long road to make it to this point. The newest trailer for the film seemed to be generally well-received and while there are no box office guarantees, at least Disney is putting a marketing push into it and not just dumping the film to ultimately be forgotten.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh Dear.

At PG-13 I think we pretty much saw ALL the highlights. 

Feige may finally have got one wrong.

43 minutes ago, Beige said:

Oh Dear.

At PG-13 I think we pretty much saw ALL the highlights. 

Feige may finally have got one wrong.

I don't know. All the other MCU films are PG-13. So maybe this may blend right in if it goes over strong enough.

“Everybody said we did reshoots! We’ve never done reshoots."

A lot has been said about The New Mutants, director Josh Boone’s X-Men spin-off, since it began filming in 2017. The movie, described as a “rubber reality” YA horror film, was once planned for a release in April 2018 back in the franchise’s heyday but was delayed multiple times when Disney purchased 21st Century Fox — and, therefore, the X-Men. Along the way, reports about the movie planning for reshoots became routine. Even veteran franchise producer Simon Kinberg, who’s now working on a sci-fi film for Netflix, mentioned them last year in an interview. But, for all this talk, Boone confirms they never happened.

“Everybody said we did reshoots! We’ve never done reshoots,” he tells EW over the phone in late February. “And I’ll tell you this: if there hadn’t been a merger, I’m sure we would’ve done reshoots the same way every movie does pickups. We didn’t even do that because by the time the merger was done and everything was settled, everybody’s older.”