• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

Maisie Williams Wants to be Part of New Mutants

A debunked casting rumor for New Mutants, a new X-Men movie that's been in development for awhile (and seems to be on track to be one of the next couple films) said that Maisie Williams was among those cast in the Joshua Boone-helmed movie, cast as Rahne Sinclair aka Wolfsbane.

Well, while that may not have happened just yet (Fox whole-heartedly denied the report), Williams is definitely interested, and it sounds like she may have at least had conversations about it.

"I can't say much about it at all, but I would absolutely love to be a part of it, to be a part of the Marvel family," Williams told EW. "New Mutants looks absolutely incredible and I’ve always loved the idea of spin-offs and [director] Joshua Boone is incredibly talented. So, yeah, sign me up."

Josh Boone May Have Revealed Which ‘New Mutants’ Will Be Appearing In The Film

While we’ve heard some rumors about the team line-up for Josh Boone’s upcoming New Mutants film, the director himself might have just revealed which mutants you should expect to see. Boone has uploading some images on Instagram throughout the day which feature’Wolfsbane’, ‘Mirage’, ‘Cannonball’, ‘Sunspot’, ‘Magik’, & ‘Warlock’ which were all members of the team throughout the years.

LDJ6tkL.png

Simon Kinberg Reveals Which Key X-MEN Character We'll Definitely See In NEW MUTANTS

UweCFaq.jpg

Talking to Collider to promote the upcoming release of X-Men: Apocalypse, producer Simon Kinberg told them that they hope to start shooting New Mutants early next year, and confirmed that we will indeed end up seeing a certain bald headed mutant. "Right now, as the movie exists, Professor X would be a part of a New Mutants movie." It's worth noting of course that James McAvoy's contracted appearances as Charles Xavier are now over, so which version we'll get is unclear. Either way, it seems like this group will also call Westchester home, though what decade they'll hail from is unclear. It is of course worth noting that it was said earlier this year that Negasonic Teenage Warhead was wearing a New Mutants uniform in Deadpool). For now, we'll have to wait and see.

:applause:

Alexandra Shipp Interested In Appearing As 'Storm' In NEW MUTANTS

In an interview with IGN, the actress said, “I can't say very much about New Mutants, but it would be awesome to do a little cameo, a little Where's Waldo?, Where's Ororo? in the background,” Shipp said. “I love Storm as a character. I'd love to reprise her in many different movies and be able to show people different sides of her because she is so multidimensional and I think that the people who love Storm at least as much as I do, really want to see that. We want to see Storm killin' it and kickin' [butt]. That's the best thing about her, how amazing and powerful she is.

stormbar.jpg

So I'm curious: this movie news doesn't seem to be roiling the fans into a frenzy. If nothing else, look at this thread's activity versus the threads of BvS or the Avengers-related franchises. I loved New Mutants as a kid, but I have to admit that I'm just sort of ho-hum about this movie. I'm sure I'll see it, and I expect that I'll like it, assuming it's not a bomb, but I don't have a lot of enthusiasm for it.

I think it's because it hasn't been announced as actually getting green-lit yet, nor does it have a single actor attached to it & we don't even know if the writer is going to get hired to direct it, even though he wants to. There's literally nothing to get excited about. It's not like Deadpool where we could get psyched about Ryan Reynolds pushing hard for it on Twitter or a leaked animatic or something. It's not like X-Men Apocalypse where it was already definitely happening from the post-credits scene of DoFP.

This movie is just a concept & a writer pushing hard to both get geek cred from the internet while also trying to get FOX to both greenlight the movie/his -script & hire him to direct.

All we really know right now is that Fox hired a dude to write a -script for a movie they have been developing for years. Whether that -script is any good or filmable and whether there's any actors interested in doing the movie or if the studio thinks that -script fits into the rest of their sorta-maybe-expanding X-universe is all up in the air.

Edited by Doktor

I think it's because it hasn't been announced as actually getting green-lit yet, nor does it have a single actor attached to it & we don't even know if the writer is going to get hired to direct it, even though he wants to. There's literally nothing to get excited about. It's not like Deadpool where we could get psyched about Ryan Reynolds pushing hard for it on Twitter or a leaked animatic or something. It's not like X-Men Apocalypse where it was already definitely happening from the post-credits scene of DoFP.

This movie is just a concept & a writer pushing hard to both get geek cred from the internet while also trying to get FOX to both greenlight the movie/his -script & hire him to direct.

All we really know right now is that Fox hired a dude to write a -script for a movie they have been developing for years. Whether that -script is any good or filmable and whether there's any actors interested in doing the movie or if the studio thinks that -script fits into the rest of their sorta-maybe-expanding X-universe is all up in the air.

I agree.

Let some casting and commitment news come out, and things could change rapidly. Especially if it is going to include some of the more popular characters portrayed by recognized and respected actors.

:wishluck:

As for their other X-Men spin-off, the Josh Boone-directed New Mutants movie, Kinberg wasn't able to divulge the roster of characters we'll see, but while discussing the film's target audience, he did admit that Boone's -script is "very loyal to the comics," which should be welcome news to fans of the popular superheroes-in-training. He doesn't have a start date for that film just yet, but adds that they're hoping to start production "sometime real soon" before signing off.

Fox Enlists FAULT IN OUR STARS Writers To Pen Josh Boone's NEW MUTANTS

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the writing duo of Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber have signed on to pen the -script for 20th Century Fox's New Mutants.

This move is a reunion of sorts for the pair as they'll re-team with their The Fault In Our Stars director Josh Boone, who is helming the upcoming X-Men spin-off, to shape the -script's latest draft. Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Apocalypse) is producing the feature, which will showcase an entirely new side of the X-Men films universe.

Neustadter & Weber's past writing credits include several coming of age tales, including 500 Days of Summer, The Pink Panther 2, The Spectacular Now, & Paper Towns and their upcoming slate will see them venture into slightly unfamiliar territory as they tackle the James Franco-directed comedy The Masterpiece before returning to what they know best in Luke Snellin's young adult drama Let It Snow.

Anya Taylor-Joy Weighs In On Possibly Playing Magik In NEW MUTANTS Movie

Magik.png

Back in March, it was reported that Anya Taylor-Joy (Morgan), Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones), and Alexandra Shipp (X-Men: Apocalypse) were up for the roles of Magik, Wolfsbane, and Storm respectively in Josh Boone's upcoming New Mutants movie. Since then, the latter two have expressed some enthusiasm about starring in the spinoff, and so too has Taylor-Joy in an interview with IGN.

"I think the world is really fascinating," she said without confirming or denying her involvement with the highly anticipated project. "I'd love to be a part of it. It would be wonderful." Other characters expected to appear include Mirage, Cannonball, Sunspot, and Warlock, and when she was asked if we'll be getting an official announcement about her involement in the near future, the actress teased: "I guess when they make decisions the world will know."

This been posted yet? List of characters in the movie:

"According to the Nerdist, we’ll be getting much of the core team of the New Mutants who first appeared in Marvel Graphic Novel #4: The New Mutants (1982):

- Danielle Moonstar, a.k.a. Mirage. She can create illusions.

- Sam Guthrie, a.k.a. Cannonball. He can fly within a force field.

- Rahne Sinclair a.k.a. Wolfsbane. She can transform into a wolf.

- Roberto da Costa, a.k.a Sunspot. He can harness the power of the sun.

- Illyana Rasputin, a.k.a. Magik. She’s pure awesome, and one of my favorite Marvel characters

- Warlock. It’s an alien who merges with the mutant Cypher (long considered one of Marvel's least interesting mutants)."

http://www.blastr.com/2016-8-26/new-mutants-movie-announces-its-mutants?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=57c03d5204d3013d182987ab&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Still holding onto my CGC 9.4 to see how this all plays out. I think it would make a great movie especially for the teen audience.

I didn't start reading New Mutants until the Liefeld pre-X-Force run, so I'm glad to see Cannonball and Wolfsbane, but the only non-X-Force character I'm really psyched to see on the big screen is Warlock.