• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Of The Planet Of The Apes (7/14/17)

46 posts in this topic

Matt Reeves' WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES Will Feature A Character From The Original Series

xmC2twp.png

According to Entertainment Weekly, the girl is Nova, a character first played by actress Linda Harrison in the 1968 original. EW confirms that the characters are one and the same, and not just a nod to the first film. According to director Matt Reeves, it will be Nova that serves as an embodiment of Caesar's moral dilemma. “The battle is not just between the humans and the apes, but in Caesar’s soul,” Reeves told the publication. “The girl is his pull back to his empathy and — for lack of a better word — his human side.”

Included in the article was concept art of Nova and Luca the gorilla.

Nova?!

:o

Me too. That classic scene at the end with Heston Id love to see again.

Wish I could get my kids to watch them with me.

Saw the original at the drive-in as a youngster and the last scene blew me away!

I still remember it to this day and was most likely the moment that I was turned

on to sci-fi, comics, etc. That and 2001: A Space Odyssey, which my brother and

I saw in the theater at least 4 times.

Thought the first 2 movies of this reboot were great! Looking forward to this

one even though I'm not thrilled about Harrelson.

Also, slight error in the title of this thread.

It's actually called "War for the Planet of the Apes"

Not, "war OF..."

They changed it recently. The early announcement was "War Of The Planet Of The Apes" if you check the articles.

The Title Of The Next PLANET OF THE APES Movie Has Been Revealed

:foryou:

Gotta admit, the CGI in this one looks to be on point!  The Rise and Dawn weren't that great in that area.  I've always been much more of a practical effects fan, especially growing up with Planet of the Apes from the original movies and TV show.  The new trailer has me pretty pumped for it!

I'm looking forward to this movie this summer more than any other movie.  The first two movies were the best movies during the summers they were released and this one is looking just as good.

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

Deadline now saying $50-55MM, pretty weak considering the terrific reviews

They are great movies,but the last one was pretty dark. Not something you take the whole family to like Spider-Man or Wonder Woman.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Spoiler

I saw this today and enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.  Think I might have liked the 2nd more.  But as I left, I overheard a couple that seemed to have missed the fact of the movie regarding how Harrison's character got the virus, which I thought was pretty apparent. The girl, Nova, has the virus and carries around the doll, she then gives it to Caesar in the cage.  It is later seen on the floor with Harrelson after he was infected.  I believe that Caesar sees it and realizes that if he had it his way, then the girl wouldn't have come along and been there to give him water, food and pass the virus onto Colonel.  That's it, isn't it?

VARIETY: ‘Apes’ to Outmaneuver ‘Spider-Man’ on Friday, but Weekend Battle Is Tight

“War” put up a valiant fight on Thursday night, taking in $5 million at 3,251 North American locations. The third film in Fox’s “Planet of the Apes” reboot is on track to win Friday with a total of $20 million, previews included. That number will translate to an estimated opening weekend of around $52 million, putting it on par with 2011’s “Rise of the Planet of the Apes'” $54.8 million debut, but noticeably behind 2014’s “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes'” $72.6 million domestic launch.

Unfortunately for Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson, and the rest of their shrewdness, Tom Holland could still swing his way to a second straight win. After slinging a $117 million opening last weekend, “Spider-Man: Homecoming” could net anywhere between $50 and $60 million by end of day Sunday, opening the race for the top spot. The first film in Marvel-Sony’s Spidey reboot will see about $19 million from 4,348 theaters on Friday — meaning it may lose tonight’s battle, but could ultimately still win this weekend’s war.