• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Con hates L.A., California? posted by 109

12 posts in this topic

I miss the WWLA Con

I can't remember the last time Wizard World Con came to the Los Angeles area, but I did attend one or two of them in the past. Looking at the Wizard World Con Schedule for 2015 and 2016 it does not appear they will be coming to the Los Angeles or southern California area. They did have the Con in Los Vegas this year and have it scheduled for next year, but still that is still a drive for the southern California collectors, who love to attend the cons. Maybe they believe there are too many cons in southern California already. But, Wizard World Con did schedule cons in Sacramento and San Jose, which is located in northern California and way too far for most southern Californians to drive. What do you think? Do you think Wizard World should bring the LA Con back?

January 9-11 -- Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center

January 23-25 -- Wizard World Comic Con Portland, Oregon Convention Center

February 6-8 -- Wizard World Comic Con Madison, Alliant Energy Center*

February 13-15 -- Wizard World Comic Con Indianapolis, Indianapolis Convention Center*

February 20-22 -- Wizard World Comic Con Cleveland, Cleveland Convention Center*

March 7-8 -- Wizard World Comic Con Fan Fest Chicago, Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, Rosemont, Ill.*++

March 13-15 -- Wizard World Comic Con Raleigh, Raleigh Convention Center*

April 24-26 -- Wizard World Comic Con Las Vegas, Las Vegas Convention Center*

May 1-3 -- Wizard World Comic Con Minneapolis, Minneapolis Convention Center

May 7-10 Wizard World Comic Con Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Convention Center

May 22-24 -- Wizard World Comic Con St. Louis, America's Center

June 12-14 -- Wizard World Comic Con Des Moines, Iowa Events Center*

June 19-21 -- Wizard World Comic Con Sacramento, Sacramento Convention Center

June 19-21 -- Wizard World Comic Con Albuquerque, Albuquerque Convention Center*

July 31-August 2 -- Wizard World Comic Con Richmond, Greater Richmond Convention Center

August 20-23 -- Wizard World Comic Con Chicago, Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, Rosemont, Ill.

August 22-23 -- Bruce Campbell's Groovy Fest, Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, Rosemont, Ill.*+

September 4-6 -- Wizard World Comic Con San Jose, San Jose Convention Center*

September 11-13, Wizard World Comic Con Pittsburgh, David L. Lawrence Convention Center*

September 18-20 -- Wizard World Comic Con Columbus (formerly Ohio Comic Con), Greater Columbus Convention Center

September 25-27 -- Wizard World Comic Con Nashville, Music City Center

October 2-4 -- Wizard World Comic Con Ft. Lauderdale, Broward Convention Center*

October 23-25 -- Wizard World Comic Con Tulsa, Cox Business Center

October 30-31 -- Wizard World Comic Con Austin, Austin Convention Center+

November 6-8 -- Wizard World Comic Con Louisville, Kentucky International Convention Center

November 20-22 -- Wizard World Comic Con Reno, Reno-Sparks Convention Center

January 8-10 -- Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center

February 19-21 -- Wizard World Comic Con Portland, Oregon Convention Center

February 26-28 -- Wizard World Comic Con Cleveland, Cleveland Convention Center

March 4-6 -- Wizard World Comic Con Atlanta, Georgia World Congress Center

March 18-20 -- Wizard World Las Vegas Comic Con, Las Vegas Convention Center

April 8-10 -- Wizard World Comic Con Madison, Alliant Energy Center

May 6-8 -- Wizard World Minneapolis Comic Con, Minneapolis Convention Center

June 2-5 -- Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con, Pennsylvania Convention Center

July 15-17 -- Wizard World Greenville Comic Con, TD Convention Center**

TBD, Wizard World Comic Con Indianapolis

TBD, Wizard World Comic Con Raleigh

TBD, Wizard World Comic Con San Antonio

*New in 2015

**New in 2016

+Friday-Saturday only

++Saturday-Sunday Only

16644.jpg

See more journals by 109

I used to love going to WW Long Beach...... :sorry:

I guess Wondercon will have to do. Also there is Terry's show in Yorba Linda in Jan. To be honest has more books than any big show I've seen,just sayin'. (thumbs u

I guess Wondercon will have to do. Also there is Terry's show in Yorba Linda in Jan. To be honest has more books than any big show I've seen,just sayin'. (thumbs u

I love WonderCon! It's my 3rd favorite show after SDCC and ECCC.

I love WonderCon! It's my 3rd favorite show after SDCC and ECCC.

Check out Terry O' Neil's show in January,it's awesome.

I recall attending a few Wizard Cons at the LA Convention Center. The problem is there are not many reasonably-priced hotels in the immediate vicinity. There's the Bonaventure but that's a bit of a walk down Figueroa St. Living in the area I just drove parked on the street but I have a handicapped placard and I don't have to feed the meter.

The Con itself was well-organized and there were plenty of dealers with lots of Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age books and modern books if that's your focus. I recall buying a couple of Menace books in really nice shape and those are hard to find. Hope they bring it back.

PS--The Yorba Linda show is great--but it's only one day. Wish there were more cons in the LA vicinity.

its not that wizard world hates the LA area, its that they got pushed out. the last show they did in So Cal was WW Anaheim in 2011. they advertised and planned to do a WW Anaheim 2012, but WonderCon moved to Anaheim in 2012 and booked the Anaheim Convention Center for the month before WW Anaheim would have happened, so Wizard World cancelled the 2012 show and have not been able to book a desired date in So Cal ever since.

All the desired dates and months are already taken by established shows: Long Beach Comic Expo in February, WonderCon in March/April (Easter weekend), San Diego Comic Con Int'l in July, Long Beach Comic Con in September, Stan Lee's Comikaze in October, and you can start to see how LA/So Cal can be a crowded market... expand the area to an 8 hour drive radius and you'll add Amazing AZ Comic Con in February, Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con in June, Stockton Con in the Fall, whatever the new Stan Lee San Jose show will be called in March (the old Big Wow), Phoenix Comic Con in May... and now add to that all of their own shows in the area Wizard World San Jose, Wizard World Sacremento, Wizard World Reno, and Wizard World Las Vegas... plus all the little one day shows like the LA Comic Book and Sci Fy Convention (Shrine/Reef), California Comic Con in Yorba Linda, Pasadena Comic and Toy Show, SoCal Comic Con in Oceanside, Bakersfield Comic Con and god knows how many others that will pop up... and can you now start to see why there isn't a Wizard World LA?

also... most dealers in the LA area probably wouldn't do a Wizard World show in this area anyways because of the booth pricing. WW would need to reduce the cost down to $500 -$800 per 10x10 from $1000 per 10x10 in order to get the comic dealers to commit to the show and to stay competitive with the other shows listed. for example, my 10x30 set up at Stan Lee's Comikaze cost me $1800 last year. for that type of space at a WW show, it would be $3000. combine that with a reported pattern of decreased revenues obtained by comic dealers at WW shows on the west coast and i'll pass on WW all day.

"WW would need to reduce the cost down to $500 -$800 per 10x10 from $1000 per 10x10 in order to get the comic dealers to commit"

They should do this anyway. You'd get a lot more comic dealers in the room if they'd make this obvious move.

The problem is that their focus is not on comics but media mainly. They get a whole lot more people interested in cosplay and media guests than actual comic book people at their shows. Besides, as a comic buyer, I'm probably not going to spend $50. a day to go to a show with very few comic dealers. It's a vicious circle.

The problem is that their focus is not on comics but media mainly. They get a whole lot more people interested in cosplay and media guests than actual comic book people at their shows. Besides, as a comic buyer, I'm probably not going to spend $50. a day to go to a show with very few comic dealers. It's a vicious circle.

Can't disagree with any of your points. It's too bad the term "comic con" has been co-opted to mean this sort of generic pop culture convention that more often than not is not particularly comic-centric. But I would pay $50 to get into a good comic show with a quality selection of dealers. I bought the $100 weekend pass to WW Chicago (which is still very comic heavy) two years ago. While I wasn't thrilled to pay that price, it's the top buying show of the year for me even as a Wizard show.