• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omega Men 3 Lobo thread
1 1

46 posts in this topic

This book seemed so exotic when I first started collecting in 1990. It wasn't like the others.

I actually wrote an article for a local comic shop about why Lobo could be the next Punisher.

lol

I was a teen, what can I say...? ;)

The Giffen/Bisley mini series was great. I can see the case being made at that time that Lobo could be the next Punisher.

The Paramilitary Xmas special is still my favorite book from that time period. The problem is/was that it works better as more of a joke than a regular thing. So, once they put him in too many things, the act got old.

The problem is/was that it works better as more of a joke than a regular thing. So, once they put him in too many things, the act got old.

Yup. Completely overexposed the character.

The problem is/was that it works better as more of a joke than a regular thing. So, once they put him in too many things, the act got old.

But isn't it the exact same scenario with Deadpool? Yet kids of today love him (Deadpool that is).

I think because he was overexposed, DC is too gun shy to really use him. However if he had his own series, or even a mini series, all of these 'anti-hero' fans would love him. The truth is nobody knows who he is today if you aren't 35+ years old!

I still think Lobo eventually gets his day! One of my absolute faves from my early collecting days!

Jay

But isn't it the exact same scenario with Deadpool? Yet kids of today love him (Deadpool that is).

I think because he was overexposed, DC is too gun shy to really use him. However if he had his own series, or even a mini series, all of these 'anti-hero' fans would love him. The truth is nobody knows who he is today if you aren't 35+ years old!

I still think Lobo eventually gets his day! One of my absolute faves from my early collecting days!

Jay

Who knows? Some characters stick, some don't. Lobo seems like a one trick pony to me. Maybe that's the answer, or maybe not (shrug)

Jay

I was thinking about that, too. The Deadpool scenario. If done right, I think he can be made into a decent movie.

The Giffen/Bisley mini series was great. I can see the case being made at that time that Lobo could be the next Punisher.

The Paramilitary Xmas special is still my favorite book from that time period. The problem is/was that it works better as more of a joke than a regular thing. So, once they put him in too many things, the act got old.

That series had alot to do with the popularity of the character in the 90s.. Biz was a new up and coming artist, and getting him on Lobo with that crazy #1 painted cover is really all it took to take the character to the next level! The series was and still is mind blowing. Lobo very much was the Deadpool of the 90s (in terms or sarcasm, which Deadpool lacked back then), it was definitely Giffen's writing that made him become the hit that he was back then

Jay

I was thinking about that, too. The Deadpool scenario. If done right, I think he can be made into a decent movie.

At this point I'd be happy with a decent 4-part mini-series to get newbies up to speed with him!

That series had alot to do with the popularity of the character in the 90s.. Biz was a new up and coming artist, and getting him on Lobo with that crazy #1 painted cover is really all it took to take the character to the next level! The series was and still is mind blowing. Lobo very much was the Deadpool of the 90s (in terms or sarcasm, which Deadpool lacked back then), it was definitely Giffen's writing that made him become the hit that he was back then

That series is the entire reason he's popular at all.

He probably wouldn't have gotten that mini if fans didn't love his appearance in Justice League International (also Giffen).

Jay

There were rumors that that was the role that Jason Momoa had been case for. I think visually that would have worked great.

He probably wouldn't have gotten that mini if fans didn't love his appearance in Justice League International (also Giffen).

Yeah, you're right about that. I didn't collect JLI, but some of my buddies loved it.

Absolutely. Giffens sculpted him and Guy Gardner as the "merc with a mouth" of the 90s