• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 (5/5/17)
4 4

653 posts in this topic

Just got back seeing it for the second time and took the wife and kids this time and they loved it. It was even better the second time more emotional for me anyways. ^^

Well, pretty good overall, but the plot device used to turn Peter Quill/Starlord against Ego seemed unnecessary and forced with no logical reason for Ego to do what he did to Peter's mom. The best I can guess by what Ego said, he was running away from his own feelings for her in order to pursue his meaning, but why bother and go out of the way to do what he did to her? It just doesn't make sense and it doesn't make sense he would reveal that fact to Peter.  Just what did he think Peter's response would be to that news?

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

James Gunn Facebook post (apologies is this has been posted because i'm trying to stay out of this thread until i've seen the movie)

“I’ve spent the past two and a half years making a film – probably a good 95% of my non-sleeping life during that time – and sometimes it seems it all comes down to these few weeks of release in theaters. Let me tell you, it’s harrowing.

The movie is doing incredibly all over the world – up nearly fifty percent over the first film in most territories, and a breakout hit in countries where it didn’t do as well the first time around (hi, Korea!)

I’m exceptionally proud of how well it’s doing in the countries I’ve visited and where I’ve made many friends the past few years – Thailand, Brazil, Colombia, Russia, the UK. You’ve all welcomed me into your countries and I’m a better person for my interactions with you.

So, as we open up around the world, I would be lying if I said I don’t get distracted by the numbers. The first thing I do in the morning is roll over in bed and check my phone for the morning box office reports.

But, in the end, it’s not what matters to me. I write this now to let you know, but also to remind myself. Because I’m human and I sometimes forget.

When I was young I felt utterly alone, at times to the point of suicidal thoughts. I never felt like I belonged, had an incredibly difficult time connecting to other people and, despite having love around me, I had an impossible time experiencing it, or taking it in.

But I found my respite in popular entertainment – Marvel comics, science fiction and horror films, the music of The Sex Pistols, The Replacements, and Queen. Suddenly I could see past the bland suburbs where I lived into a more magical world, a world more aligned with what I imagined. Sometimes these works were simply escapist fantasies that distracted me from the difficulties of my internal life. But other times, in the strongest moments – maybe through the words of Alice Cooper or Freddie Mercury, through Cronenberg films, or even in Chewbacca’s growl, I experienced something deeper – the realization that I wasn’t completely alone. Someone out there was as weird and strange and whacked out as I was.

So this morning, as the internet discusses box office and its many theories around what that means (zzzzzzzz), I’d like to remember that that’s truly all nonsense and noise. The only meaning the money holds for me is that I can pay my mortgage, feed my dog and cat, and continue making movies. I haven’t worked two and a half years just to watch a string of numbers getting higher.

I work because I like telling stories. I work because I love the relationships I have with my collaborators. And I do it because I like connecting with people, and the easiest way I know how to do that is through filmmaking. I do it so that some kid in Thailand, or England, or Colombia, or Brazil, or Japan, or Russia, or anywhere, can hear the frequency of his or her own heart bouncing back off the Guardians.
They’re a group of heartbroken misfits whose lives have been bereft of tenderness and connection and who have a nearly impossible time trusting themselves or others. But they’re learning, one step at a time.

They are me. They are you. We are Groot.

And no matter how much world leaders are telling you we aren’t in this together, we are. You are not alone.

Thank you so much, my Facebook friends, for supporting me over the past two and a half years, and thank you for all the messages letting us know we’ve keyed into the frequency of your hearts. I love you all, and I’ll continue being here with you over the next three years as we create Vol. 3.

James

PS Still blocking spoilers. Sorry.”

:cloud9:

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

18 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Actually, the original Guardians of the Galaxy from MSH 18 consisted of 4 members, Yondu, Martinex, Charlie-27 & Vance Astro.

Would love to see them do something with Vance Astro on the big screen. Such a tragic character, he is my fav original Guardian. 

Oh and I did see the movie last night, very enjoyable, probably the best stuff from Marvel by far! Loved the Stan Lee bits. (thumbsu

‘Guardians Vol. 2’ Soars To $145M Weekend Opening After $51M+ Super Saturday – Sunday Update

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 raked in a fantastic $51.1M on Saturday, and Disney/Marvel is calling the opening weekend for the James Gunn-directed movie at $145M. That’s not an outrageous forecast by Disney as industry estimates also show GOTG2 coming in at $144.6M. Nancy Tartaglione will be expanding on international, but all in worldwide to date for this $200M budgeted movie before P&A is $427.6M.  The first GOTG had a similar negative cost, an estimated global $147.4M P&A spend and churned a profit after all ancillaries of $204M.

Yondu was really the star of this movie. Turns out he was the pivotal character to everything that was happening and was smarter and wiser than everyone, but stuck to his guns even when it made it look like he was the bad guy. Based on what was revealed in this movie, Yondu's decisions single handedly saved Peter Quill and the galaxy from Ego's plans. It was nice they vindicated him in the end.

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

Yondu was really the star of this movie. Turns out he was the pivotal character to everything that was happening and was smarter and wiser than everyone, but stuck to his guns even when it made it look like he was the bad guy. Based on what was revealed in this movie, Yondu's decisions single handedly saved Peter Quill and the galaxy from Ego's plans. It was nice they vindicated him in the end.

I re-watched Guardians Vol. I today. Amazing how that movie still brings laughs and sadness at the same time.

But now after seeing Vol. II as well, it is almost like this was the plan all along to prove Yondu was more a hero than anti-hero. Even with the quick mention of Peter's father and withholding delivery of his son, and when Peter tricks him with the dashboard troll - and Yondu has a big smile on his face as if he is so proud of Peter. I have to agree, he ends up the hero.

Marvel Comics blows, however Marvel Movie Studios aka Disney hits another winner out of the park! ^^

GOTG 2 was so fun!  I was worried that Drax's humor was going to be over the top from the previews.  However, I was very happy after viewing the film to see it was for the most part fine and made everyone laugh.  It's very rare that a sequel can beat the original (well excpet for CAP 2 & Dark Knight :shy: ), however GOTG 2 meet my expectations.  Marvel once again laughs at DC's face with making household names out of pre-2014 dollar bin charaters.  My only small gripe is the soundtrack for his movie I think was pretty bad except for the last song of the 3rd act, but that is small potatoes to the overall enjoyment of the movie.

5 post credit scenes! 

Great start to summer at the movies!

Also quick question.....

Spoiler

Does Jeff Goldblum make a cameo in this?  I didn't see him what so ever, but they the people say he is in it. (shrug)

Watched this movie with my friends. We all thought it was good, almost close as good like the first but not quite. A few scenes were little off but otherwise most all were good. Drax and Raccoon were good laughs to my surprise. Ego as a person is bit different than what I am used as the planet himself. Mantra turned out to better that I thought, she got the character pretty much nailed. 

I look forward to see how the Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 will play out.  Will Stan Lee be in there by the time it come out? I can't answer that. 

12 hours ago, nWo_22 said:

Also quick question.....

Hide contents

Does Jeff Goldblum make a cameo in this?  I didn't see him what so ever, but they the people say he is in it. (shrug)

Spoiler

As someone said, he's dancing in the credits.  Right side, I believe.  They have a few of the characters dancing in costume inside little shapes that scroll with the credits.

There was one dancing guy I didn't recognize, though.  He was long the left side.  Looked like he was wearing a button up shirt, seemed like he was a middle-aged guy.  Certainly didn't fit the look of the movie.  Didn't look like James Gunn, either.  Any ideas?  Anyone else see him?

So I cannot find this answer anywhere...

in the end credits, there are bubbles that pop up with different characters in them. At one point there is a random guy in a bubble on the left dancing. He is just a normal looking guy in a button down shirt. Who was that?

4 minutes ago, Meeklo said:

So I cannot find this answer anywhere...

in the end credits, there are bubbles that pop up with different characters in them. At one point there is a random guy in a bubble on the left dancing. He is just a normal looking guy in a button down shirt. Who was that?

I literally just asked this.  lol  Look up.

Glad to know someone else saw it and I'm not crazy, though.