• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 (5/5/17)
4 4

653 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

What I find most fascinating is how you can take a C team of characters like the current GOTG crew and make a list movies out of them.

Marvel can make a supermodel out of a pig but DC can't seem to make a supermodel out of a supermodel. Real shame.

Thinking about this it kinda makes sense on some level. Picking a team of characters from (general public) obscurity, the audience has no big expectations for them to live up to. It's fresh and new to non comic fans while the rest of us are thrilled to see characters we know about. DC is using iconic characters that most everybody knows about and trying to make them new and interesting. The later is a harder road to take in pleasing the audience IMHO.

Yondu's story was done very well, although looking back it becomes very apparent that something bad might happen towards the end, which takes him out of action in some way.  His arrow killing spree looks visually amazing, and it's so large scale and virtuoso that you doubt it could ever be improved upon; more a swansong.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Thinking about this it kinda makes sense on some level. Picking a team of characters from (general public) obscurity, the audience has no big expectations for them to live up to. It's fresh and new to non comic fans while the rest of us are thrilled to see characters we know about. DC is using iconic characters that most everybody knows about and trying to make them new and interesting. The later is a harder road to take in pleasing the audience IMHO.

But the real point is the writing and directing made the movie and the franchise special.

There are so many similar franchises (Suicide Squad for one) that (as Billy said) could have been better done.

The writing by Marvel is just miles ahead of anyone else right now.

I liked the reference to Iain Banks' Culture novels..

'Don't screw with The Sovereign'.

40 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

but other than a couple bat drop-ins, ssquad fit that "general public obscurity" criterion....

True, but I was referring more to DCs iconic characters. I still enjoyed SS more than Bats vs Supes.

26 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

But the real point is the writing and directing made the movie and the franchise special.

There are so many similar franchises (Suicide Squad for one) that (as Billy said) could have been better done.

The writing by Marvel is just miles ahead of anyone else right now.

I fully agree with this also. The fact that the Guardians were fairly obscure to the majority of movie goers left the writers more of a free range to develope a more creative storyline than they could have with more established characters. No way am I saying the writing wasn't miles ahead of the DC output lately, but I do think it gives a bit of an advantage to work with a newer franchise.

Edited by Jayman

But Marvel has taken many of their A tier characters and still made terrific movies that hit sweet spots for many demographics even though they had big shoes to fill.

DC has only really been able to do it with Batman thus far.

The problem for DC is that they don't have an vision for their entire franchise. They're trying too hard to play 'catch up' (something I've been saying for years).

10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

But Marvel has taken many of their A tier characters and still made terrific movies that hit sweet spots for many demographics even though they had big shoes to fill.

DC has only really been able to do it with Batman thus far.

The problem for DC is that they don't have an vision for their entire franchise. They're trying too hard to play 'catch up' (something I've been saying for years).

Marvel discovered a specific formula that works, DC hasn't.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Turtle said:

Really!?  Like the guy from literally only the 1st scene and none others in the whole first movie? 

Well he's listed in the IMDB for the 2nd movie.  Was he in the movie at all outside of the credits?  I don't remember seeing him. 

Yes he's in the vehicle with the black lady that almost gets swamped by the goo.  Wouldn't doubt if he shows up in Vol 3 and Infinity War.

Edited by PEP
FO

7 minutes ago, NUNYABZ said:

Yes he's in the vehicle with the black lady that almost gets swamped by the goo.  Wouldn't doubt if he shows up in Vol 3 and Infinity War.

Really?  He looked to be in his early 60's or so on the day Peter was abducted.  That would put him darn close to 90 years old when the "goo" happened, wouldn't it?

13 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Really?  He looked to be in his early 60's or so on the day Peter was abducted.  That would put him darn close to 90 years old when the "goo" happened, wouldn't it?

Yea, they did make him look older.  90 is the new 70.

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

but other than a couple bat drop-ins, ssquad fit that "general public obscurity" criterion....

And though the director messed up by focusing less on the Joker - more on the Enchantress and Incubus as the main villains - the movie made a killing on characters most movie-goers had no clue who they were. Deadshot, Killer Croc, Harley Quinn, Katana, Rick Flagg, Captain Boomerang - only one of those comes up as a massively popular character. And to find out even the Blu-Ray/DVD release led to very strong market acceptance, it doesn't feel like the bomb critics painted.

But at least David Ayeer called out where he went wrong - and still had a massive success despite the faults throughout the film. Not bad when it is leading to not only a sequel, but a guaranteed spin-off and another one being talked about for right now (Deadshot).

Saw with the family Saturday night. I will agree with some of the general sentiment on here...very good and fun but not as good as the first. I agree that Gunn seemed to be trying too hard at times to push the same type jokes or feelings from the first movie. Most of the other nitpicks that have been mentioned I agree with.

25 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Well now I love Michael Rooker. Yondu was awesome,  I nearly cried at the end.  I don't cry at many movies,  maybe like 3-4 EVER.  Effin' YONDU ya'll.

I concur.  The best in the film.  

(I'm British, so that's as excited as I get.)

Edited by Ken Aldred

I went to a matinee today and absolutely loved the 1st 15 minutes of the movie.  But dang it, I hate to say this but it started to lose it's grip on me as the movie went along.  They went after too many little sub plots with relationships, and then it got a little too goofy.  And dare I say, they may have jumped the shark with Pacman (although I have to admit I laughed right there).  I really liked how they fleshed out Yondu.  I want to see more Rooker.  I think Gunn should have left his brother in the background, his rise in status seemed a little forced.

I enjoyed it but....... mmmmmm..... I can only give it 6.5 out of 10.

I like the Mary Poppins joke too

Saw it again tonight & loved it even more the 2nd time around. My hairs stood up when I heard George Harrison's My sweet Lord playing. There were 2 soundtracks I wasn't crazy about but everything else was great.  Can't wait for Vol 3 in 2020.:wishluck:

Edited by chezmtghut

saw it last week in a double feature and saw it a second time this week. I'll have to give it an 8.5 out 10 the movie came just a little shy behind the first one. I felt the same some of the story lines felt off when I first saw it now seeing it for the second time and had time to talk to friends and coworkers. I think I found the story lines that didn't need to be in the movie and those were Drax/ Mantis & the Gold people. beside that everything else was good wish we had a little bit more time with peter & his Dad. 

Two theories being tossed around, with one being the assumed long-standing easter egg Gunn said nobody has found yet.

This one I was wondering about after seeing Vol. II.

Guardians of the Galaxy’s Ego/Knowhere Secret

Spoiler

When welcoming Peter, Drax, and Gamora to his planet the ancient being explains his origin story in shockingly detailed fashion for both his guests and the audience. According to Ego himself, he doesn’t actually know where he came from. He simply “awoke” drifting in the cosmos without any notion of who he was, or how he got there. Over the millions of years that followed, he grew, gained wisdom, and pulled the universe around him into the planet they all now stand on – having taken a human form to create his progeny across the universe.

What Ego does know, in his words to Gamora, is that “I’m what’s called a Celestial, sweetheart.” In essence, a god (small ‘g’). And as he understands, or at least claims, he’s the only one of his kind. That should immediately fill detail-oriented fans into confusion. Not only have fans already seen the evidence of one Celestial in Knowhere, but for those with some knowledge of the Marvel Comics Universe, the Collector revealed yet another. It’s shown in his hologram explanation of the Infinity Stones, wielding the Power Stone to eradicate an entire planet (resembling the comic book Celestial Eson the Searcher).

Knowhere is what remains of the skull of an ancient Celestial. Ego “awoke” in his current form as a massive Brain floating in space. And The Collector shows that at one time in the past, massive Celestials used the Infinity Stones to wreak havoc on the universe. 

That mysterious “Guardians of the Galaxy” Easter egg might have *finally* been found

Spoiler

Over at Screen Rant,  a theory has surfaced about a Guardians of the Galaxy easter egg that mega-fans have been looking for. According to the deep dive, using a fairly simple code, the secret to Meredith Quill’s fatal cancer might’ve been revealed before we even knew to search for the reason. How?

In Guardians of the Galaxy, locations were referred to by coordinates. Some real locations and some random numbers. It turns out if you decode those “random” numbers, you actually get a few phrases. Luckily, Screen Rant did the leg work for us, and here’s what it looks like.

D7NNsCt.png