• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 (5/5/17)
4 4

653 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Huh, interesting. If you saw it in color you might have said Iron Man- he's from a race called "The Stark" and all their armor is based off Iron Man. His is actually red and yellow.

I see what you mean. A bit different.

taserface-comics-191972.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

I liked it a lot, looking forward to seeing it again. I thought it was

an excellent sequel and possibly better than the first movie.  It'll

take at least one more viewing to say for sure.

Joker--

I finally got to see this late yesterday.

I can echo some others and say that a few of the scenes felt artificial, or forced. There was a bit too much of "person yells emotional explanation to other person(s)", but overall... a 7.5/10 for me. GG2 is a very solid sequel to a great film, the theater I saw this in was over half full at a 9pm Tuesday evening showing, and everyone was very into the film. Lots of laughter, a few people in audible tears (especially when the Ravagers show up for Yondu's funeral), several loud exclamations during action scenes... and too many "Awwww!" noises whenever Groot appeared for me to bother attempting to count them.

One point towards the negative column, at least from my perspective, is that Marvel still appears to have problems creating interesting villains. Don't get me wrong, I love Kurt Russel and I loved seeing him in this, but they didn't give him a whole lot of room to work with once his silly plot was revealed. And maybe they'll make up for it later, but the Sovereign were a real bore... and on that note... being the big Adam Warlock guy that I am, I'm a little annoyed that his sole purpose for existing will initially be to punish Rocket for stealing a handful of batteries. That seems like a bit of a fall from grace compared to the comic book origin that portrays him as science's attempt to create a perfect being (let alone his experiences with the High Evolutionary and Counter-Earth), but I guess I can't be too picky since we are definitely - finally - getting him on the big screen.

Saw it yesterday and liked it almost as much as the first. I don't really try and compare sequels too much and just look at them as continuations of the first film. One thing that bothered me were the previews for upcoming Marvel movies. Every one looked like they were jumping the shark.

1 hour ago, The Black Hand ® said:

Saw it yesterday and liked it almost as much as the first. I don't really try and compare sequels too much and just look at them as continuations of the first film. One thing that bothered me were the previews for upcoming Marvel movies. Every one looked like they were jumping the shark.

"Jumping the shark" tends to refer to a single absurd event that occurs in a series after which the quality seems to drop off significantly.  Care to elaborate on what you saw as shark-jumping events in the trailers?

1 hour ago, The Black Hand ® said:

Thankfully, here in England I only had to avoid the Wonder Woman trailer.

Always loved the way Kirby drew Ego.  The cover of Thor #161 is a classic example.  I was delighted to see GOTG 2's scene that was an obvious nod to the Ego of Marvel's glorious Silver Age.

thor161.jpg

A lot of good, very imaginative material in the Lee / Kirby Thors from JIM 101 upwards.

The storylines involving Ego , The Colonisers and Galactus are very enjoyable.

13 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

A lot of good, very imaginative material in the Lee / Kirby Thors from JIM 101 upwards.

The storylines involving Ego , The Colonisers and Galactus are very enjoyable.

Agreed.  I sure wish the film makers could figure out a good use for Galactus in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and give him a proper treatment (unlike the disappointing cloud of smoke in "Fantastic Four, Rise of the Silver Surfer").

16 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Did anyone ever figure out who the two figures were that were fighting in the Rocket/Yondu warp scene? It went by in a flash.

20. KRONAN CAMEO

Guardians-Galaxy-2-Kronan-Korg-Easter-Eg

Elsewhere in the Guardians’ montage of space jumps, a quick flit through the atmosphere of a barren, alien world shows what appears to be a battle to the death in action. The fighters are two large, rocky-looking behemoths with the standing fighter brandishing a massive stone club. In Marvel speak, that’s exactly how you would describe the race known as the Kronans, already glimpsed in the MCU when one of the rock monsters attempted to best Thor in The Dark World‘s opening battle. The armor even looks the same in both cases.

That armor look is typically associated with Korg, a character introduced as an opponent of Thor without much backstory – before being retconned into his very own character, playing a memorable part in the Planet Hulk storyline. Korg is also set to appear in Thor: Ragnarok, so it’s unclear if this is meant as a wink towards the character and film, or simply another Kronan battle that Marvel fans are guaranteed to spot.

20 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Always loved the way Kirby drew Ego.  The cover of Thor #161 is a classic example.  I was delighted to see GOTG 2's scene that was an obvious nod to the Ego of Marvel's glorious Silver Age.

thor161.jpg

Who's the guy on the right? Looks familiar.(:

here they are again.Kirby also used characters like this in a DC book,can't remember now @jimjum12 would know what comic,had a pink cover.And Thor battled stone men in JIM 83...

Tales-to-Astonish-5-Stone-Men-Prototype-1959.jpg

Edited by porcupine48

2 hours ago, kdoginohio said:

Who's the guy on the right? Looks familiar.(:

That's Galactus battling Ego on the cover of Thor #161.  They're natural enemies; a living planet, and a guy who eats planets for breakfast.