• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm 80 years old this month (by cover date)!!!

58 posts in this topic

I was just looking at this book yesterday and thought, "WOW, it's 80 years old!!!" I doubt this thread will go very far, as not much was out at this time, but let's see!!! Post your May 1935 books here now .... and next month post your June 1935 books & so on ..... paging Jon Berk .....

I have a nice one for next month :)

here's a list of the first comics published in the old CBM issue 13

Famous Funnies 10 is the 18 comic published, also that month is New Fun comics issue 4 as the 19 comic. Fun to compare your early comics to this list.

I have always enjoyed the early comics. As this list of the first 100 comics is now over 30 years old, I just wondered if anyone can add books to the list. I would enjoy seeing an updated list if anyone has any changes. Thanks!

Actually, I think there have been a few things, like that Detective Dan & a few others.

OK, since you're going there... I've got an older one. This rat chewed beauty is Famous Funnies #4. From November 1934. (81 years old) I think this is the oldest "comic book" I own. Came out of a barn cheap with a few others. Totally roached but I had to hang on to it because it was from 1934. I also liked the football cover and 4th appearance of Buck Rogers by Calkins in a comic.

comfamousfunnies4_zpstifh59zx.jpg

TOTALLY diggin' it!!!!!!! Absolutely, back-fill any traditionally recognized comic books before May 1935 too!!! I'm so happy that some other boardies like these books too!!!!

I was just looking at this book yesterday and thought, "WOW, it's 80 years old!!!" I doubt this thread will go very far, as not much was out at this time, but let's see!!! Post your May 1935 books here now .... and next month post your June 1935 books & so on ..... paging Jon Berk .....

I can't wait to see it!!!!! Oh and thanks for the surprise phone call the other night!!! We don't "catch-up" on the phone very often these days & it was a treat to do that once more :applause:

I can't wait to see it!!!!! Oh and thanks for the surprise phone call the other night!!! We don't "catch-up" on the phone very often these days & it was a treat to do that once more :applause:

Indeed it was. We need to catch up more often. Hope you are over the bug that cold or virus you were dealing with

June 1935

MMM%20v1-1_zps1kd4hnhr.jpg

Awsome book Bill! I believe that is the first issue???

You are correct sir

Thanks guys, I love this book. My copy is the best I've been offered over the years. I know there are nicer ones, but this one is just fine. Solid, bouncy, supple and lovely

It's a beautiful copy, Bill, congratulations! It is also a very interesting issue because of its large size and busy cover art. It intrigues me because about a year later when the Mickey Mouse Weekly started in England, it used the large size and busy covers and continued them for years. The American Mickey Mouse Magazine downsized and shifted to the more focused art starting with the next issue and enjoyed almost five years of success with that format. In my opinion, those covers were some of the most beautiful Disney art ever published. Even downsized, they were larger than comic books and the focus on one or two characters gave them an unmatched size and beauty. In fact, they were very similar to the early sheet music covers which are so attractive.