• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Harbinger #1 Club
1 1

78 posts in this topic

The folks that participated early in the Valiantfans site really benefited from being "dead universe" fanatics. So many of those projects delivered really cool items like this and the Solar 10 special cover.

:applause:

The folks that participated early in the Valiantfans site really benefited from being "dead universe" fanatics. So many of those projects delivered really cool items like this and the Solar 10 special cover.

:applause:

I have my own Harbinger 1 project set as well! And a few other special projects that were put together back in the day, like the double-remarked Shadowman 8.

Got my copy of Harby 1 last year (sold my OO copy many years ago after buying 2 copies of the newsstand) it was the last issue I needed to complete my Pre-Unity and Unity Valiant collection. Proudly displayed in my signature line

Harbinger #1 project. Signed by Janet Jackson, Bob Layton, Jim Shooter. Includes a Harbinger print signed by Anthony Castrillo, Sean Chen, Mike Mcguire, a DVD of the Big Apple panel from spring 2006, and transcript of a separate Valiant panel from the same show.

Harbinger01project.jpg

Oddly enough, I never got either that one, or the Solar #10 project.

I do, however, still have the Magnus #0, which was the very first one....and I've had my fingers on all the other copies in that project.

:D

Harbinger #1 project. Signed by Janet Jackson, Bob Layton, Jim Shooter. Includes a Harbinger print signed by Anthony Castrillo, Sean Chen, Mike Mcguire, a DVD of the Big Apple panel from spring 2006, and transcript of a separate Valiant panel from the same show.

Harbinger01project.jpg

Oddly enough, I never got either that one, or the Solar #10 project.

I do, however, still have the Magnus #0, which was the very first one....and I've had my fingers on all the other copies in that project.

:D

I skipped the Magnus 0 project, but I have the Harby 1 one!

Thanks for that project goes to John Rojas. He could have just hoarded that batch of Harbinger 1s he found but he made a great project instead. :applause:

Got my copy of Harby 1 last year (sold my OO copy many years ago after buying 2 copies of the newsstand) it was the last issue I needed to complete my Pre-Unity and Unity Valiant collection. Proudly displayed in my signature line

There's a newsstand version? How can you tell the difference?

Only direct editions of Harbinger #1... I think he meant "bought 2 copies when it was new".

I'm considering stocking up on some pink Harbinger 0s. If my memory is correct that only had around 4,000 copies printed. I think long-term, this could skyrocket well past issue 1 even.

Smaller print run, but much much less significance.

Agreed. Will never happen.

Harbinger 1 is the king of the first-run Valiant books because it was their first original superhero title and first appearance of some significant original characters.

Despite its far smaller print run, Harbinger 0 is just a (weak) origin story that also came out much much later (after Unity, if I recall correctly).

Also, there's the bias against manufactured incentives vs. original comics that were actually distributed in stores.

And for reference, I think I currently have more copies of Harbinger 0 (pink) than I do of Harbinger 1.

Good points! Think I'll not get too aggressive in seeking this one out then. I also remember there was a slight continuity error in it back from reading it over two decades ago. Toyo Harada introduces himself to Peter Stanchek in this issue BUT he also introduced himself to Peter in Harbinger #1. I've got a feeling Harada's short-term memory isn't that bad. :)

Good points! Think I'll not get too aggressive in seeking this one out then. I also remember there was a slight continuity error in it back from reading it over two decades ago. Toyo Harada introduces himself to Peter Stanchek in this issue BUT he also introduced himself to Peter in Harbinger #1. I've got a feeling Harada's short-term memory isn't that bad. :)

That's mostly right. It was Harbinger #2 when Peter met Harada (the second time, after the #0 story). The Harbinger trade paperback changes what Harada said in Harbinger #2 to "remember me?" instead of "Hello, I'm..."

(thumbs u

That's mostly right. It was Harbinger #2 when Peter met Harada (the second time, after the #0 story). The Harbinger trade paperback changes what Harada said in Harbinger #2 to "remember me?" instead of "Hello, I'm..."

(thumbs u

Harada has so much experience with wiping people's minds that sometimes he forgets who remembers who met him previously.

(thumbs u

Harada has so much experience with wiping people's minds that sometimes he forgets who remembers who met him previously.

:signfunny: ... and ... ^^

Only direct editions of Harbinger #1... I think he meant "bought 2 copies when it was new".

I was stationed in England (USAF) when I bought mine from the bookstore on base, both regular edition but were on a newsstand rack. Just how they were sold there and then.