• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling Silver and Bronze comics - 50% off Overstreet

42 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

I didn’t move as many books in my last sale here, earlier in the week, so I’m selling more books over the weekend. I’ve sold to forum members before, over here, to everyone’s statisfaction.

I am in a hurry to sell some of these books, many of which I’ve owned for 25 - 30 years, since buying them off the racks. Not an ideal situation, but I’ve got a family member in a tight spot, so I have no other choice.

Here’s a general description of my collection:

Silver and Bronze Age, mostly Marvels, some DCs, a few Atlas. Mostly Superhero, a few DC Bronze Horror.

Lots of Spider-Man and X-Men BA keys, VF to NM+ I'm the original owner of most of them and was meticulous about my selections off the stands and their care. All Marvel Value Stamps, Tattooz, etc. are intact.

Most of the Silver Age books, and the 1973 and earlier Bronze books are VG to VF. 1974 BA and up are VF to NM+.

Lots of Giant Size Marvels, Marvel and Warren B&W. Fantastic Four, Avengers, Defenders, Captain Marvel, Warlock, MTU, MTIO. Lots of minor Marvel titles from the mid 70s like Skull, Champions, Bloodstone, Marvel Premiere. Late 70s Micronauts, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor. Early Conans, early Miller DDs, Some Kirby DCs, etc.

etc. etc. etc.

I'm in the Los Angeles area and I'll give good deals but I won't be stupid, so let's not waste time on crazy low-balls.

Unfortunately, I once again don't have any scans, sorry. Feel free to ask about particular books here, and I'll tell you availability and condition. If you're interested we'll take it to PM and arrange an appointment for you to look at the books.

I’d still prefer to deal in cash, but since that doesn’t always work, I’ve set up a PayPal account. Hopefully I can figure out how to use it. If you want to look at the books yourself, bring your Overstreet Guide, we'll agree on a grade and the price is 50% off Guide. I don’t have info on shipping rates, but there’s a UPS center a few blocks from me, so if we get into those types of conversations I can find out quickly what the cost would be.

Thanks for taking a look, hope you find something of interest.

Regards,

Sudden Sale

It's difficult to gather interest by saying, "I have some comics for sale." That doesn't tell me much.

Also, most of us have been buying/selling comics on the internet for several years now. I'm going on my 9th year on eBay. One thing you learn over the years are red flags for problems. One red flag is new members. eBay has people who have just started selling that can't grade, are frauds, etc. So you feel better dealing with someone who has built a reputation for good service. Another red flag is when people don't have scans of their items. When you're trying to avoid poor grading or fraud, you stay away from buying sight unseen. A third reg flag is when people accept cash only. No money orders, no checks? I see you recently signed up for PayPal. When I sell on eBay, I accept personal checks, money orders, paypal, and credit cards (through paypal). Again, smells fishy.

I mean no offense, and am not accusing you of any fraudulent activity. Just trying to help you out, by pointing out areas that may be harming your potential sales.

It's difficult to gather interest by saying, "I have some comics for sale." That doesn't tell me much.

Also, most of us have been buying/selling comics on the internet for several years now. I'm going on my 9th year on eBay. One thing you learn over the years are red flags for problems. One red flag is new members. eBay has people who have just started selling that can't grade, are frauds, etc. So you feel better dealing with someone who has built a reputation for good service. Another red flag is when people don't have scans of their items. When you're trying to avoid poor grading or fraud, you stay away from buying sight unseen. A third reg flag is when people accept cash only. No money orders, no checks? I see you recently signed up for PayPal. When I sell on eBay, I accept personal checks, money orders, paypal, and credit cards (through paypal). Again, smells fishy.

I mean no offense, and am not accusing you of any fraudulent activity. Just trying to help you out, by pointing out areas that may be harming your potential sales.

No offense taken. I realize I've handicapped myself by not having scans, in addition to being new, so some wariness is totally understandable. At one of the links above you can see that I've sold to a couple of forum members before, although they were in the Los Angeles area and were able to view the books before buying. The problem with the scans is that I'm working with an old computer and the scanner for it is shot.

I also understand the concerns regarding cash, which is why I set up the PayPal account.

I'm trying to work around these obstacles, so I appreciate your advice and patience.

Since you have PayPal now, why not put up a partial listing of what you have, the condition, and what you are asking for them?

You don't have to list them all, but it could help you make some sales!

Sounds good.

I've got a near complete run of X-Men 94 through 200. Missing 99-102 and 113. They're all NM, though I'd have to knowck the #94 down a shade, as it's got a partial tear, about 1/32 of an inch, not detatched, in the lower right corner. It would be a NM otherwise.

ASM 128 through to about #273 in NM. #122 in VF+ #129 in NM- Missing most from 153 to 184.

I've got most of the Smith Conans, including 1-13, and most of the rest to about 60. Savage Tales

1 through 5.

I've got most Fantastic Fours from #29 to #285. Missing #48 and #49 of the keys.

Lots of Annuals. Giant Size. FF, Spidey, Defenders, Avengers, Conan, Super Villain Team Up, Super-Heroes. Mostly NM.

Starlin Warlocks and Capatin Marvels in VF to NM.

Kamandi and Omac in VF to NM.

About a dozen random DC horror books from the 70s in F to NM.

Lots more

Since you have PayPal now, why not put up a partial listing of what you have, the condition, and what you are asking for them?

You don't have to list them all, but it could help you make some sales!

Sounds good.

I've got a near complete run of X-Men 94 through 200. Missing 99-102 and 113. They're all NM, though I'd have to knowck the #94 down a shade, as it's got a partial tear, about 1/32 of an inch, not detatched, in the lower right corner. It would be a NM otherwise.

ASM 128 through to about #273 in NM. #122 in VF+ #129 in NM- Missing most from 153 to 184.

I've got most of the Smith Conans, including 1-13, and most of the rest to about 60. Savage Tales

1 through 5.

I've got most Fantastic Fours from #29 to #285. Missing #48 and #49 of the keys.

Lots of Annuals. Giant Size. FF, Spidey, Defenders, Avengers, Conan, Super Villain Team Up, Super-Heroes. Mostly NM.

Starlin Warlocks and Capatin Marvels in VF to NM.

Kamandi and Omac in VF to NM.

About a dozen random DC horror books from the 70s in F to NM.

Lots more

Ya know...if those bronze Spideys are truly NM (like at least CGC 9.4) you're doing yourself a disservice by offering them at only half guide. Just my two centavos. (Sorry the value of the dollar has been declining.)

[

Ya know...if those bronze Spideys are truly NM (like at least CGC 9.4) you're doing yourself a disservice by offering them at only half guide. Just my two centavos. (Sorry the value of the dollar has been declining.)

You're probably right, but the circumstances are what they are.

I hesitate to say any are 9.4+ without having scans to show you. All I can say is I bought them off the rack, read them a few times, and put them into bags 25 to 30 years ago. Rebagged them once or twice since then.

I just bought a bunch of mid-grade SA FFs from Sudden Sale - and his grading is straight up - he showed me some of his Bronze and much of it really is NM. If I collected bronze I would have been buying!

Hey guys. i just wanted to give everyone an update on Dave "Sudden Sale" and his, well, sudden sale. I had an opportunity to drivedown to LA today and take advantage of his sale. It was just as advertised and Dave did me up real well. Everything was 50% off guide as advertised. I was able to pick up about 45-50 truly magnificent Bronze books, 9.4 or better with over 20 9.8 candidates, truly flawless books. He had about 10 long boxes out that included very high grade bronze and mid to lower high grade Silver. I know that some people had a problem with him not posting a list of what was included but understandably, with no scanner or working computer he couldn't do so. Also, had he sat down and inventoried everything the term "sudden sale" would lose all meaning as there are about 10 long bozes of stuff. But to help out and because Dave was really cool I'll try to give you a better idea of what he has available. What is still there (he had another appointment later) and how long the sale lasts I'm not sure. This is off the top of my head and I hit 2 LCS ( got a HG FF #172 variant) on the way home too so I'm a little scatter brained so.....

A good number of HG Miller DD's 169-182.

About 30 Silver Age ASM's in 3.5 to 8.0. A nice #52 in 7.5/8.0 with a small dog ear. Many Bronze ASM's in 6.0 to 9.4. Several 9.4 or better ASM's 202-280.

SA/early BA Thors, FF's & X-Men, DD's. About 10-15 Thors 145-190, about 100 FF's from 31 to 162. The X-Men are between 40 and 61 I think, ranging from 3.5 to 7.5. Bronze X-Men from 103 through 140. The 103 was about a VF+, 104 VF, 105 VF, 106 9.2, 107 VF-, 108 F/VF, 110 F/VF, 117 VF/NM, ect. Although common, most of his X-Men from 145 through 200 looked NM/NM+ at the minimum. Then lots and lots of other BA and early Copper stuff. There is a Crisis #7 in NM/NM+ left. He also has a Secret Wars 8 in NM+ that he didn't want to part with. Maybe you can change his mind. He also has a 9.0/9.2 DD #168 signed by FM on the front page. He didn't want to part with it but....you never know. Anything from 1976 on looked VF+ at the bare minimum, with the vast majority 9.2 or better: Thors, Iron Mans, Avengers (the Byrnes aren't for sale), Capt Marvels (the Starlins aren't for sale), Marvel Premiere, Defenders, Tarzan, MTUs (these were mostly 6.0 to 7.0 in the early numbers, NM or better in the later.), Spectacular Spider-Man, most core Marvel titles and lots of Tarzan, John Carter, Micronauts, Rom, Howard, Marvel Two In One, ect. Thanks to Dave for making this a killer deal and hope this maybe helps anyone else out. And no, I am not affiliated with him in anyway. I have no idea how long this lasts but he did me right so I thought I'd post.

Oh yeah, there was a big gaping hole between Astonishing Tales #25 through 33. Some guy named "Deathlok" had gotten them first.