• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sagii said:
5 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Gators collection should break records, it being complete and in one auction

...I concur. It will be one for the ages for sure. 

Wonder if this is going to be scheduled for CC's 2019 Spring Event Auction typically scheduled for March/April or will some of them still need slabbing and as a result, held over for the 2019 Summer Event Auction which usually runs in the August / September time frame.  hm

Methinks it might even be segregated on its own and scheduled for the June time period, similar to what took place for the once in a lifetime generational Jon Berk Auction in 2016 and the not quite as impressive Second City Auction held last summer.  If so, it will probably have to encompass a lot more than just the Centaurs.  (thumbsu  

No matter how it's done, can't wait to bid on some of those rare and truly HTF Centaurs.  :luhv:  :taptaptap:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Wonder if this is going to be scheduled for CC's 2019 Spring Event Auction typically scheduled for March/April or will some of them still need slabbing and as a result, held over for the 2019 Summer Event Auction which usually runs in the August / September time frame.  hm

Methinks it might even be segregated on its own and scheduled for the June time period, similar to what took place for the once in a lifetime generational Jon Berk Auction in 2016 and the not quite as impressive Second City Auction held last summer.  If so, it will probably have to encompass a lot more than just the Centaurs.  (thumbsu  

No matter how it's done, can't wait to bid on some of those rare and truly HTF Centaurs.  :luhv:  :taptaptap:

My guess is the Spring Event auction with other books from other consignors but with 'special acknowledgement' much like the Planets in this weeks auction, since there will be more books to follow

. But, we will soon find out. 

On 12/13/2018 at 2:09 AM, lou_fine said:

WOWZA is right when it comes to some of these late Centaurs like A-Man 22 & A-Man 26.  (thumbsu

So much for the other guys not being able to get top dollar for their graded books as this is not even a CGC graded copy:

ama3.230a.jpg

Maybe somebody should go and tell old slow Bob about some of these prices as this is almost 20X condition guide.  :gossip:

Especially since this is really nothing new as Jon Berk's CGC 7.0 graded copy was able to fetch $38,500 or over 20X condition guide when it was auctioned off.  Although astounding, this multiple sort of still pales in comparison to the restored low grade copy of A-Man 26 that was able to fetch something like $6,300 or over 30X unrestored condition guide on CL back in 2011 or 2012.  Now, that one was an absolute shocker and the first time I was made aware of how rare these later A-Man books really were and how much money collectors were willing to pony up to just acquire a copy of them.  :whatthe:

Just checked the CGC census for the Jon Berk copies of both A-Man 22 and A-Man 26 and they no longer show up there.  Makes me wonder if the buyer was able to squeeze the A-Man 22 into one of the 2 higher graded copies that now shows up on the census at CGC 7.5 and CGC 9.0?  Also no idea what happened to Berk's restored CGC 7.0 graded copy of A-Man 26 as the only restored copy showing up in the census now is only a restored CGC 3.0 graded copy.  (shrug)  ???

I didn’t even bid on this I’ve decided I will only buy this book OFF the auction block if that chance ever comes. I do know the winner of this copy and he is an AWESOME dude who has a strong passion for WWII books and was NOT letting this one get away so this went to good home. Not gonna get flipped 👍

On 12/13/2018 at 2:09 AM, lou_fine said:

Maybe somebody should go and tell old slow Bob about some of these prices as this is almost 20X condition guide.

I don't know why you are taking a shot at Bob Overstreet.  There were no recorded sales to evidence the demand.  The Berk sale happened last year but Overstreet uses a three-year moving average on his prices so it will only partly affect what appears in the latest Guide. As more sales occur this year that will be factored into the next Guide.  An annually printed guide book isn't designed to tell you the highest possible current price. It's a Guide...

In the age of the internet, it's probably outmoded so feel free to complain about that.  I stopped worrying about what the Guide said at least 15 years ago.

7 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I didn’t even bid on this I’ve decided I will only buy this book OFF the auction block if that chance ever comes. I do know the winner of this copy and he is an AWESOME dude who has a strong passion for WWII books and was NOT letting this one get away so this went to good home. Not gonna get flipped 👍

Glad it went to a good home 

On 12/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 12/14/2018 at 2:05 PM, MetaHuman said:

I read this funny article about the weird characters from Centaur Comics on Cracked.com:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/11-forgotten-heroes-from-historys-worst-comics-publisher/

That is truly hilarious!!

Wow, looks like somebody must be a follower of the Centaur books and their so0called "forgotten" heroes.  :applause:

17 hours ago, adamstrange said:
On 12/12/2018 at 11:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Maybe somebody should go and tell old slow Bob about some of these prices as this is almost 20X condition guide.

I don't know why you are taking a shot at Bob Overstreet.  There were no recorded sales to evidence the demand.  The Berk sale happened last year but Overstreet uses a three-year moving average on his prices so it will only partly affect what appears in the latest Guide. As more sales occur this year that will be factored into the next Guide.  An annually printed guide book isn't designed to tell you the highest possible current price. It's a Guide...

Definitely agree with you that the guide should not be focusing on the highest possible current price, as that is definitely not healthy for the marketplace longer term.  Slow and conservative is definitely much better than being fast and overly aggressive.  (thumbsu

I was actually referring more to the A-Man 26 (and not so much the A-Man 22) in my comments as there has been more recorded sales of that book over the past several years.  Didn't know that Overstreet was using a 3-year moving average, but if so, I can certainly see why it would take time to catch up especially since prices for certain HTF and classic cover GA books have really shot up in the past couple of years. 

I believe in this the internet days we have probably established rather firmly what the REALLY HTF books are and we probably can all agree what the cooler books are of those HTF books so I propose in next years guide we use one of several acronyms in replace of actual numerical price. For starters...

YGIAGAM - Your guess is as good as mine

TSITL - The Sky is the Limit

NPWSMATP - No price would surprise me at this point 

:idea:(:

23 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I believe in this the internet days we have probably established rather firmly what the REALLY HTF books are and we probably can all agree what the cooler books are of those HTF books so I propose in next years guide we use one of several acronyms in replace of actual numerical price. For starters...

I'm on board! :banana:

On 12/17/2018 at 7:57 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

Or for mid-grade Barks Ducks and SA Marvels: UAHGB = Usually a Half Guide Book

On 12/20/2018 at 6:36 AM, adamstrange said:

I was looking more closely at the Sand Hogs cover in a discussion about identifying the artist.

I think the AMF 2 4 has a short hand version of Max Neill's signature.

Max Neill Sig Compare.jpg

Funny Pages.jpg

Great detective work - it's been right before our eyes all this time! :golfclap: AMF V2 #4 is one of my favorite Centaur covers.

He also signed FP V3 #3 and Keen Komics V2 #1 published around same time as AMF V2 #4, plus FP V3 #8 a few months later.  Thanks for sharing.

...An opening act to get ready for CC's Centaur Extravaganza.

This was on my short list of just under a dozen Centaurs i said i'd eventually like to own when time permitted after developing a curiosity in them, first when the Billy Wright books came to auction, and then an appreciation for them after joining these Boards. It's my second favorite Centaur cover overall, but ties with Fantastic Comics #3 as my favorite Robot covers of all time. A masterpiece in it's simplicity as Fantastic 3 is for it's details!

..And what a SPLASH!!

Amazing Mystery Funnies v2 #11.jpg

AMF V2 N11 SPLASH.jpg

14 minutes ago, sagii said:

...An opening act to get ready for CC's Centaur Extravaganza.

This was on my short list of just under a dozen Centaurs i said i'd eventually like to own when time permitted after developing a curiosity in them, first when the Billy Wright books came to auction, and then an appreciation for them after joining these Boards. It's my second favorite Centaur cover overall, but ties with Fantastic Comics #3 as my favorite Robot covers of all time. A masterpiece in it's simplicity as Fantastic 3 is for it's details!

..And what a SPLASH!!

Amazing Mystery Funnies v2 #11.jpg

AMF V2 N11 SPLASH.jpg

Your becoming a Centaur convert :banana: