• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Happy International Rabbit Day 2019

One of Mr. Berks former books. Charles Biro did a masterful job on this one, depicting the Rabbits and Magician in a bizarre almost 'pre Twilight Zone' twist scenario. Love how they maintain realistic rabbit forms (while) being anthropomorphic .

Not Amazing Man 22, but IMHO, 

one of the BEST Centaur covers 

Funny Picture Stories v2 #11 (j.b.c.).jpg

4 hours ago, sagii said:

Happy International Rabbit Day 2019

One of Mr. Berks former books. Charles Biro did a masterful job on this one, depicting the Rabbits and Magician in a bizarre almost 'pre Twilight Zone' twist scenario. Love how they maintain realistic rabbit forms (while) being anthropomorphic .

Not Amazing Man 22, but IMHO, 

one of the BEST Centaur covers 

Funny Picture Stories v2 #11 (j.b.c.).jpg

Nice one! I see what you mean about the Twilight Zone sensibility -- the rabbits have taken over. :fear:

On 10/3/2019 at 12:57 PM, Electricmastro said:

Amazing Man Comics #8 (December 1939) particularly resonated with me, being one of the earliest comics I've seen show a concentration camp:

Comic Book Cover For Amazing Man Comics #8

Classic Everett war cover also 

aman8.jpg.dc5e3943432917f15447329b9effa786.jpg

Looking for some help with a recent pickup - Funny Pages 37. Seems to be incomplete, but not sure just how incomplete it is . . .

Going through Grand Comics Database it shows a 52 page book, mine has 46. So simply one would say missing 1.5 wraps - but I can't figure out whats missing. 

GCD says order of stories is Arrow, Circus and Sue, Mad Ming, Mantoka, Timber Toppers and John Degan. No fillers or ad pages referenced. Mine is as follows:

Mad Ming (7 pgs)

Mantoka (7)

Timber Toppers (8)

Sport O' Sketches (1)

Magic Made Easy (2)

John Degan (5)

SporTest (1)

First Night Off Duty - text (1)

(Can see 1 page neatly ripped out) (2)

Cartooning Self-taught (1)

This is Your Page (2)

Arrow (6)

Story behind Stamps (1)

The stories I have match the count in GCD, my copy has Arrow out of order but completely missing Circus and Sue, a 5 page story. 

Here is the problem: I don't see where the 5 pages would have been!

Cover is still attached by bottom staple, so doesn't seem like first wrap is missing. Centerfold is there, loose, but John Degan starts on obverse of 2nd folio and continues as full story. But even more puzzling is that with the one folio (aka half wrap, or 2 pages) cut out, that leaves one wrap (4 pages) missing, and that isn't enough for the 5 page Circus and Sue story . . . especially for it to be contiguous in the book. Even if it was next to the cut out page the other half of the wrap would have been in the first half of the book, and nothing seems to be missing there (not to mention it wouldn't have been contiguous). Cover does advertise "Circus and Sue".

Would someone please enlighten me? Is this a misprint? Am I counting wrong? Does this jive with anyone else's copies? 

Thanks!

20191101_152041.jpg

Edited by Qua-Brot

2 hours ago, Qua-Brot said:

Looking for some help with a recent pickup - Funny Pages 37. Seems to be incomplete, but not sure just how incomplete it is . . .

Going through Grand Comics Database it shows a 52 page book, mine has 46. So simply one would say missing 1.5 wraps - but I can't figure out whats missing. 

GCD says order of stories is Arrow, Circus and Sue, Mad Ming, Mantoka, Timber Toppers and John Degan. No fillers or ad pages referenced. Mine is as follows:

Mad Ming (7 pgs)

Mantoka (7)

Timber Toppers (8)

Sport O' Sketches (1)

Magic Made Easy (2)

John Degan (5)

SporTest (1)

This is Your Page (2)

Arrow (6)

Story behind Stamps (1)

The stories I have match the count in GCD, my copy has Arrow out of order but completely missing Circus and Sue, a 5 page story. 

Cover is still attached by bottom staple, so doesn't seem like first wrap is missing. Centerfold is there, loose, but John Degan starts on obverse of 2nd folio and continues as full story. But even more puzzling is that with the one folio (aka half wrap, or 2 pages) cut out, that leaves one wrap (4 pages) missing, and that isn't enough for the 5 page Circus and Sue story . . . especially for it to be contiguous in the book. Even if it was next to the cut out page the other half of the wrap would have been in the first half of the book, and nothing seems to be missing there (not to mention it wouldn't have been contiguous). Cover does advertise "Circus and Sue".

Would someone please enlighten me? Is this a misprint? Am I counting wrong? Does this jive with anyone else's copies? 

Thanks!

20191101_152041.jpg

You should ask Sally Wharton what happened to the book! :idea:

(Her signature can be seen half-erased on the upper left of the cover. )

Great looking cover!

20 hours ago, Qua-Brot said:

Mad Ming (7 pgs)

Mantoka (7)

Timber Toppers (8)

Sport O' Sketches (1)

Magic Made Easy (2)

John Degan (5)

SporTest (1)

This is Your Page (2)

Arrow (6)

Story behind Stamps (1)

Thanks!

20191101_152041.jpg

I can help - ‘First Night Off Duty’ text story s/b 2 pages. ‘The Circus and Sue’ story follows and is 5 pages.

So it appears that someone removed three (6 count) pages, your missing second page of ‘First Night Off Duty’ text has the first page of ‘The Circus and Sue’ story on its reverse side.

You have 46 pages, so with three pages missing (that equals 6 page count front-and-back) = 52 pages.

Edited by sacentaur

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I can help - ‘First Night Off Duty’ text story s/b 2 pages. ‘The Circus and Sue’ story follows and is 5 pages.

So it appears that someone removed three (6 count) pages, your missing second page of ‘First Night Off Duty’ text has the first page of ‘The Circus and Sue’ story on its reverse side.

You have 46 pages, so with three pages missing (that equals 6 page count front-and-back) = 52 pages.

@sacentaur Perfect! I just looked closely at the torn out page and it is, in fact, 3 pages ripped out! Mystery solved! Thank you!

@Zolnerowich and @comicjack is this a new pedigree? 

Now, what is the value for an incomplete, Sally Wharton Pedigree book like this? (Spine is split about 2/3rds, attached at bottom staple, cf is detached)

4 minutes ago, Qua-Brot said:

@sacentaur Perfect! I just looked closely at the torn out page and it is, in fact, 3 pages ripped out! Mystery solved! Thank you!

@Zolnerowich and @comicjack is this a new pedigree? 

Now, what is the value for an incomplete, Sally Wharton Pedigree book like this? (Spine is split about 2/3rds, attached at bottom staple, cf is detached)

A small collection of Centaurs that came out of Pennsylvania about two years ago i remember seeing your copy but being incomplete i didn't bite 

1 minute ago, comicjack said:

A small collection of Centaurs that came out of Pennsylvania about two years ago i remember seeing your copy but being incomplete i didn't bite 

Makes sense - bought 2 incomplete Centaurs, both have her name on the cover (this and Amazing Man Comics 11). Probably wouldn't have been able to afford the complete copies, and these have great covers. And I got them for a decent price . . . 

1 minute ago, Qua-Brot said:

Makes sense - bought 2 incomplete Centaurs, both have her name on the cover (this and Amazing Man Comics 11). Probably wouldn't have been able to afford the complete copies, and these have great covers. And I got them for a decent price . . . 

Centaur are great books started from the birth of comics i bet it won't be your last :headbang:

24 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Centaur are great books started from the birth of comics i bet it won't be your last :headbang:

I've had one or two before - right now my collecting goals are different (trying to work up to a Gaines File copy, or three) but if I get one that is beautiful and I just can't part with it, well then I guess it will have to become part of my collection.

The one thing I do remember about the ones I had before is that the artwork was just amazing. We think of artwork as 'evolving' over the history of comic books, but I saw (and see) artwork that is incredible and looks as fresh as anything I see today.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, Qua-Brot said:

I've had one or two before - right now my collecting goals are different (trying to work up to a Gaines File copy, or three) but if I get one that is beautiful and I just can't part with it, well then I guess it will have to become part of my collection.

The one thing I do remember about the ones I had before is that the artwork was just amazing. We think of artwork as 'evolving' over the history of comic books, but I saw (and see) artwork that is incredible and looks as fresh as anything I see today.

The stories are quite excellent too. Especially the Amazing-Man title. There'a a great 2-volume set you can buy on Amazon, with all the early work Bill Everett did, much of which was for Centaur.

Edited by Zolnerowich
spelling