• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

I remember those days. I got a lot of Church books for $15. or less straight from Chuck. And we thought we were over paying... :roflmao:

I doubt many people knew much about Centaurs back then. Especially the ones with out men in tights on the covers. 

Edited by Robot Man

39 minutes ago, sacentaur said:
54 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

You really had vision back in the day Steve!

Thanks, but mainly it was having a newfound love of the hobby combined with a nearly empty wallet. The book cost me a whopping $10!

Well, you must have really stuck the knife in poor Chuckie when he was down and out and desparate for money since he had the book listed in his MH Catalogue in Fine condition for the riduculous sum of $22.  lol  :takeit:

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, you must have really stuck the knife in poor Chuckie when he was down and out and desparate for money since he had the book listed in his MH Catalogue in Fine condition for the riduculous sum of $22.  lol  :takeit:

I vividly recall speaking with him as I made my way through a short box of these second-hand Church books, Chuck demonstrably saying that he still had them years later because “nobody wanted them”. Remember this was about four decades ago.

Well I wanted them, and I bought a lot - like Robot Man said, they were around $15 each on average... hard to imagine nowadays! :insane:

18 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

Looking at Comics Magazine #1 (May, 1936), and I have to ask, did the coloring/inking actually turn out like this when the issue was new?

3.jpg

For sure, yes, this how it looked right as it rolled off the printing press. A snafu during the color separation process, with out-of-register alignment of the C/M/Y/K printing plates. Straw-Man on these boards actually collects these curious oddities.

7 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Fresh from Terry’s CalComicCon, a rare appearance of that disembodied orb of justice:

DAA83D62-BE6E-48D6-9869-7C67A493829A.thumb.jpeg.efd21437f14f25f17ed51e5dcb0f9617.jpeg

Great book Jay, thanks for showing it to me in person. :applause:

KDF 18 is still in the shadow of KDF 20, but it has now become a generally recognized classic Centaur. Well done, sir!

7 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Great book Jay, thanks for showing it to me in person. :applause:

KDF 18 is still in the shadow of KDF 20, but it has now become a generally recognized classic Centaur. Well done, sir!

Thanks Steve! Your sage input and insights were most appreciated when it came time to pulling the trigger on this cool book.