• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, circumstances said:

I got most of my Centaurs around 1984. Is that early on?

I would think. Sure there was always a cult following of sorts of what i can gather through the Boards and what back issue articles i read like CBM and AE, but i would say now, a whole new fan base are eager to build collections of the publishers output. 

I won't be able to put together the kind of group like i did with say MLJ or Ace (time, money) but i have a small little batch i'm proud of and will take down two more if the opportunities present themselves :headbang:

17 minutes ago, sagii said:

I would think. Sure there was always a cult following of sorts of what i can gather through the Boards and what back issue articles i read like CBM and AE, but i would say now, a whole new fan base are eager to build collections of the publishers output. 

I won't be able to put together the kind of group like i did with say MLJ or Ace (time, money) but i have a small little batch i'm proud of and will take down two more if the opportunities present themselves :headbang:

I first became aware of the publisher from the color photo section of the Overstreet Price Guide in 1976 or 1977. There was a full page pic of Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol. 2 #7, and I knew I needed to own that book one day. Shortly after that I saw Amazing Man #15 for sale in Sam Frazer's catalog for $12.50, and boom, I owned my first Centaur (probably early 1979). I wasn't able to acquire any more until J & S advertised the Claire S. Moe estate collection in the CBG, and I bought as many as I could (I got about 15). I'm guessing that was mid-1984.

I continued to pick them up here and there until the early 90s, and then again in the last few years.

Edited by circumstances

2 minutes ago, circumstances said:

I first became aware of the publisher from the color photo section of the Overstreet Price Guide in 1976 or 1977. There was a full page pic of Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol. 2 #7, and I knew I needed to own that book one day. Shortly after that I saw Amazing Man #15 for sale in Sam Frazer's catalog for $12.50, and boom, I owned my first Centaur (probably early 1979). I wasn't able to acquire any more until J & S advertised the Claire S. Moe estate collection in the CBG, and I bought as many as I could (I got about 15). I'm guessing that was mid-1984.

I continued to pick them up here and there until the early 90s, and then again in the last few years.

Cool story, like hearing stuff from the early fandom years!

1979? I was in last year of middle school reading Justice League, Wonder Woman and Fantastic Four regularly, it would be another year before i discovered X-Men and The New Teen Titans :shy:

25 minutes ago, sagii said:

Cool story, like hearing stuff from the early fandom years!

1979? I was in last year of middle school reading Justice League, Wonder Woman and Fantastic Four regularly, it would be another year before i discovered X-Men and The New Teen Titans :shy:

I was a Marvel reading kid from about January, 1975. I was 11. I started collecting all the series I was reading (Thor/JIM, Spiderman, Avengers, XMen, DD, FF, etc.).

I eventually 100% completed my Marvel collection, but as I was working on it I traveled to the 1978 Phil Seuling 4th of July convention in NYC (with one of the owners of my LCS and Mike Zeck). I was 14.

Besides tons of silver age Marvels I needed for my runs, I bought my first golden age comics: Human Torch #13 and World's Finest #9, from Jay Maybruck at Sparkle City (we ended up doing a lot of stuff over the next dozen or so years).

So, even though I ended up completing my Marvel runs, I was buying gold and silver from then on, and ultimately transitioned to gold exclusively.

Edited by circumstances

2 hours ago, circumstances said:

So, even though I ended up completing my Marvel runs, I was buying gold and silver from then on, and ultimately transitioned to gold exclusively.

Love to hear these stories about the early collecting days from long time time GA collectors.  (thumbsu

Do you still have your initial Marvel runs complete and intact, or did you end up selling some of them off to fund your GA purchases?  hm

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Love to hear these stories about the early collecting days from long time time GA collectors.  (thumbsu

Do you still have your initial Marvel runs complete and intact, or did you end up selling some of them off to fund your GA purchases?  hm

I never really sold any of my original Marvel runs, but I traded them all for Gooooooolllllllldddddd! in the 80's and early 90's.

I weirdly still have like a box of Warlock appearances (I collected all his appearances, whether I collected the series he appeared in or not), some Neal Adams Marvels, Barry Smith Marvels, odds and ends.

Nothing significant, just books that never got traded.

I randomly have a bunch of silver age DC from those days, that were never in my collection, but also never got traded (Brave and Bold 28, JLA 1, Showcases, Mystery in Spaces, etc.).

I also bought some collections in the last 8 or 9 years, so I have a lot of the Marvel runs I traded away again (but I don't consider any of those books in my current collection).

7 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The monster is a bit of a disappointment, but I love the flowers, plants and foliage.  There's just something about a Wolverton alien world that I find irresistible

I feel that some of his best alien designs came from not only Centaur, but also Novelty Press, this page from Target Comics in particular.

20.jpg

21 hours ago, circumstances said:

I wasn't able to acquire any more until J & S advertised the Claire S. Moe estate collection in the CBG, and I bought as many as I could (I got about 15). I'm guessing that was mid-1984.

I was the first caller to get through on that ad, I do remember the phone ringing and ringing until a guy finally picked up and said he had just returned to the office.

Didn’t know the seller so I bought only 10 of the books, including FP 4/1 and AMF 2/5. When I finally got the package and saw how nice the books were, I called J&S back but was informed they were all gone (I guess you, Berk, and Michael Music cleaned them out).

Those were the days... :cloud9:

21 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I was the first caller to get through on that ad, I do remember the phone ringing and ringing until a guy finally picked up and said he had just returned to the office.

Didn’t know the seller so I bought only 10 of the books, including FP 4/1 and AMF 2/5. When I finally got the package and saw how nice the books were, I called J&S back but was informed they were all gone (I guess you, Berk, and Michael Music cleaned them out).

Those were the days... :cloud9:

I was surprised by the condition as well. I wonder if there were other duplicates, since we each got AMF 2/5.

Did Music buy them from the ad, or get them from someone who did? He told me when he tried to sell them to me, but I can't remember.

17 minutes ago, circumstances said:

I was surprised by the condition as well. I wonder if there were other duplicates, since we each got AMF 2/5.

Did Music buy them from the ad, or get them from someone who did? He told me when he tried to sell them to me, but I can't remember.

No idea if other dupes, I was very surprised to hear you had an AMF 2/5 Moe dupe.

When I spoke to Music I still had the ad and he was asking prices that were, at the time, marked up significantly so I didn’t get any more.

IIRC there were less than 100 Moe books, wish I had saved that ad!

8 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

No idea if other dupes, I was very surprised to hear you had an AMF 2/5 Moe dupe.

When I spoke to Music I still had the ad and he was asking prices that were, at the time, marked up significantly so I didn’t get any more.

IIRC there were less than 100 Moe books, wish I had saved that ad!

I saw some of Music's when he had them with him at a con, and then the rest when he was visiting family in my area. The prices were prohibitive and I bought nada from him.