• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I still remember back in the mid-90's when he was part of the big East Coast triumvirate (along with Fishler from Metro & Robert Rogovin from Four Color Comics) and they tried to scoop up all of the GA books from the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening when GA books were super red hot for a short period of time back then.  

I’ve heard that the pushing and shoving in the elevator resembled an episode of Jerry Springer...

3 hours ago, sagii said:

Let's keep the Thread going. A new share: One of the standout covers for me when i put my short list of Centaurs i wanted together. Maybe it's the giant monster movie fan in me (a nod to King Kong) that drew me to it, or that it has a vintage Pulp feel to it too. Either way, it's a master work. Made more relevant as it was done by one of the few women working in the comics field at that time. Tarpe Mills (June Tarpe Mills), It's said she worked under her middle name to 'conceal' her sex, and used other pseudonyms as well. She is also the creator of Miss Fury.

This one isn't online for reading unlike most of my 2nd/3rd tier publisher slabbed books are. Dying to see the insides but can't bring myself to crack it out :cry:

Funny Pages v3 #9.jpg

I've been adding books to keep it near the top!

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I still remember back in the mid-90's when he was part of the big East Coast triumvirate (along with Fishler from Metro & Robert Rogovin from Four Color Comics) and they tried to scoop up all of the GA books from the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening when GA books were super red hot for a short period of time back then.  

I’ve heard that the pushing and shoving in the elevator resembled an episode of Jerry Springer...

And then you get the nice guys like Joe Vereneault who for us was the lucky one to get the box of Allentown early Fox books.  (thumbsu

Upon finding out that I was a collector as opposed to a dealer, he handed the box over to me and said that I was welcome to pick one of each (i.e. Mystery Men & Wonderworld) for myself.  I believe he also made the same offer to one other collector right after me. :applause:

Unfortunately, there was no Wonderworld 7 in there as it had apparently already been set aside in advance for somebody else.  Not sure if there was a copy of Mystery Men 3 in the box or not, but I guess I did not considered it to be any more of a standout cover as compared to the others at the time.  :whatthe:  :facepalm:   Still, I am 100% sure that we would have gotten absolutely nothing at all if one of the Big 3 had gotten their hands on that box to start.