• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Some terrific books poppin' up on the Boards of late! :applause:

Continuing the collection parade, here are two of my new favorites - I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to call them "rare" (Larson copy on the right):

100_2720.jpg

for what it is worth here is the larson copy....

DAAAAMN! I've never seen a copy of either of those, and we get (2) #4's in the same post! Those are easily a couple of the rarest comics left in existance. Thank goodness for Mr. Larson.

well folks, I am listening to my Gators on web broadcast, and I started back on page 1, working my way through all 160+ pages...doesn't get much better than this (Gators are kicking Creighton up and down the court right now!)

first appearance of the Arrow by Gustavson!...and, ow/white paper too... :cloud9:

courtesy of mr danker (monster coll)...thank you good sir!!

fp210w-1.jpg

rick, since that book is raw, would it be possible to get shot of the first Arrow splash page? :wishluck:

I'm not worried. At least I know where a few copies of #20 are. There are some Centaurs where I just flat don't know how to find them even if I wanted to (Jon Berk's copies excluded). #20 exists in decent quantity, but has such a cool cover and is just so cheap in Guide that no one feels compelled to move their copy. Issues like that I end up with one way or another (usually by overpaying in trade).

It's freaking Keen Detective Funnies v1#10 that's going to be the death of me.

that is exactly how I feel....the only KDF I need :(

That is a hugely impressive feat, Ryan. Well done!! I myself don't have the full run of Everett A-Man issues. I'm missing #9, as well as #22 and #26 in the complete run of Amazing-Man, although I've seen and passed on a couple of #9's based on price, so that's not one I'm worried about. #26 is one I'm worried about.

another sentiment I concur with

Bob, there is a Cherish a Chesler thread, but it mostly covers the later books.

Since books like Star Ranger were taken over by Centaur, and probably have greater interest to those collectors, I'd say you are in the right place (thumbs u

hey!!!! don't get all hyper technical with me....let's say...-shall we- that these titles along with the Comic Magazine titles were Centaur 'precursors' in that when the Centaur imprint started with books cover dated March 1938 that features and themes continued from these existing titles..

view it as the Chelser tributary and the Comic Magazine tributary merged into the Ultem babbling brook then became, when combined with the "fresh" water from the many new Centaur titles, the mighty Centaur River

Babbling Berk (trust me- 'just go with the flow')

I go with the current out into the Bay, sitting on the dock sometimes,

My first Centaur i ever got, back in 1968 at that summer's Dallascon, was Star Rangers #15 with a long Eisner story i liked - and by the late 1970s had amassed about 100 of them including many of the fun ones, when Siegel & Shuster were discovered to have Superman proto in what became Centaur River, then collecting them really took off, and i had fun trading Byrne Xmens i had in depth to the tune of 8000 copies of each of many of them bought at 17 cents each half cover then trading "retail for retail" at upwards of $10 each, it was easy as shooting apples in a barrell trading

Gold was out, SIlver was slow, Xmen crazy was upon us - and Byrne Xmens became better than gold to trade for all kinds of GOLD, so some 300 dealers were sending my comics company Golden age comics is trade for Xmens they could sell same day they showed up - the demand was insatiable, at one time i had gotten upwards of 300 Mile High books from Chuck in trade for multiple copies of Byrne Xmen - i miss that batch of Centaurs i had once amassed

Thanks Jon, for looking this Killer McGee page up for me as being from Star Ranger #6. I think it neat to own a page from this most interesting of comics companies. It was a real detective hunt figuring out all the myriad layers what turned into Centaur.

My 2nd Centaur i remember getting was i think CMO #2 which might be like their last book if i remember correctly

I remember many fond talks with Lane and Gary Carter along with Bruce Hamilton and others way back when as some of us pondered how all so many disparate pieces of data fit together during trading buying selling sessions at the early comics shows. Exploring the books was fun, at that early stage seems no one bothered to examine the SWAP PAGES until one day some one buying & selling comics was discovered in one - then other early collector dealing ads were found. For those of us then exploring how comics fandom evolved in various incarnations over the decades, it was fun to learn.

I think the history of the company has been ferreted out as best as we are ever going to do it, with Chesler also circling around the Major - and Chesler was a huge comics fan as witness his once proud collection which got broken up by people inside Farleigh Dickenson University NJ in the early 2000s.

CENTAURKillerMcGees.jpg

Here's a real obscure Centaur, one that was on my list of "If I never finish the complete run, it might be because of this book" super-tough Centaurs. Big-time thanks to Stephen Fishler for locating this one for me.

comicspagesvol.jpg

I really like how the artwork goes all the way up to the top edge of the book, through the logo. All the other books in this run (which is continued from Funny Picture Stories, as it says on the cover) have opaque logos that obscure the artwork.

I know someone recently pointed this out, but Win did as well, more than a year ago (thumbs u

Speaking of how great Metro is, here's the book Stephen posted a few pages back:

amazing-man22.jpg

You know what's cooler than Nazi gorilla monsters? Nothing.

i am really in an AMan 22 appreciating way... (worship)

Here is a rare one. The 1st Everett story on Mile High white pages.

AMFv1n2aopt.jpg

to "toot" Metro's horn, I did pick this up from them recently....now, after re-reading all 166 pages of Centaurs, I suspect S is 'the man" to see about some of these centaurs I am missing (since Win is almost done with the run)... S, will be shooting you a list soon :wishluck: