• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, damonwad said:
13 hours ago, sacentaur said:

This one stings a bit - obtained it from Marnin long ago, very surprised to get a PLOD as he was so anti-resto.

KDF18LL.png

It obviously stinks to find out a book has resto when you didn't think it did but this is a beautiful copy.

+1

Definitely a very beautiful copy since CGC tends to whack the restored books pretty hard in terms of grading, as they generally present nicer than their technical assigned grades.  This results in very few restored copies managing to hit into the 9's in terms of overall grading.

Steve;

Did you ever consider the possibility that Marnin himself might not have been aware of the restoration work himself, or was it so obvious that most collectors should have been able to spot it?  ???

Even though a lot of these old time dealers should in theory and also claimed that they were good at spotting restoration, I somehow got the feeling they probably couldn't tell for sure even if their life depended on it.  Their restoration detection skills seem to be limited to guess work along with an analysis of the book's previous owners.  If a name like Mark Wilson popped up, than the assumption was that the book must have been restored although they couldn't tell you exactly where.  :facepalm:

Hopefully, you didn't have any dealings with Mark in the past, as it was often stated there was not a book that he would not try to improve upon, no matter how nice it was to start with already.  (tsk)  Unfortunately, he also considered all of that cleaning to be non-restorative activity according to his definition which as it turns out, CGC did not agree with when they came out with their own internal non-published list of what was restoration and what was not restoration. 

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Did you ever consider the possibility that Marnin himself might not have been aware of the restoration work himself, or was it so obvious that most collectors should have been able to spot it?  ???

Hopefully, you didn't have any dealings with Mark in the past, as it was often stated there was not a book that he would not try to improve upon, no matter how nice it was to start with already.  (tsk)  Unfortunately, he also considered all of that cleaning to be non-restorative activity according to his definition which as it turns out, CGC did not agree with when they came out with their own internal non-published list of what was restoration and what was not restoration. 

I'm sure Marnin didn't know about the restoration - I should have checked the book before sending it in to CGC.

Ugh, Mark Wilson - I'll never have anything to do with him (or his spawn) again. :mad:

On 08/08/2017 at 1:01 PM, sacentaur said:

I'm sure Marnin didn't know about the restoration - I should have checked the book before sending it in to CGC.

Ugh, Mark Wilson - I'll never have anything to do with him (or his spawn) again. :mad:

Steve, didn't Marnin use to get Susan C to review his books, or at least I think he had most of the Trolley books reviewed by her before he had them listed on his website? Or does this predate the Trolley release?

3 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

Steve, didn't Marnin use to get Susan C to review his books, or at least I think he had most of the Trolley books reviewed by her before he had them listed on his website? Or does this predate the Trolley release?

Only the Detroit Trolley books were reviewed by her (they came with a certificate) for him, as far as I know.

Edited by sacentaur