• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Et-Es-Go said:

Can some one elaborate on what a Claire Moe copy is?

Claire Moe was a GA artist who passed away in the early 80's. Her estate went to her family and they ended up selling her comic books (artist contributor copies?) to J&S Comics. They subsequently sold them through an ad in CBG.

The books generally are in very nice condition, pretty copies.

I was the first person to call on the ad and purchased 10 books - Jon Berk and Michael Music came in afterwards and scooped up a lot of remainder (the collection was under a 100 comics, IIRC).

I had no idea (or don't recall) that there were duplicates in the collection.

Not a recognized pedigree of course, but an interesting story nonetheless. :) 

10 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Claire Moe was a GA artist who passed away in the early 80's. Her estate went to her family and they ended up selling her comic books (artist contributor copies?) to J&S Comics. They subsequently sold them through an ad in CBG.

I was the first person to call on the ad and purchased 10 books - Jon Berk and Michael Music came in afterwards and scooped up a lot of remainder (the collection was under a 100 comics, IIRC).

It's great to preserve the stories of collections that didn't quite pass muster for pedigree designation.  

1 hour ago, circumstances said:
On 10/9/2017 at 1:03 AM, sacentaur said:

Jon Berk and Michael Music came in afterwards and scooped up a lot of remainder (the collection was under a 100 comics, IIRC).

And me!

They scooped you up, too?  I guess it can be dangerous to get too close to determined collectors circling a stash of GA books. hm

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

They scooped you up, too?  I guess it can be dangerous to get too close to determined collectors circling a stash of GA books. hm

Some can be down right nasty a bunch of buzzards circling over a kill lol

Edited by comicjack

On 10/8/2017 at 10:03 PM, sacentaur said:

Thanks for filling in the details of the story, and an interesting story.  Back in the day, the Comic Buyers Guide (CBG) was the conduit to everything that was publicly for sale.  I got mine via regular mail and only the most esoteric of books were still available by the time I got my copy.  But for me, fine.  Cuz the stuff that folks did not grab right away were Chesler, Centaur, Holyoke, Fox, etc.... types of titles.  

5 hours ago, Et-Es-Go said:

Thanks for filling in the details of the story, and an interesting story.  Back in the day, the Comic Buyers Guide (CBG) was the conduit to everything that was publicly for sale.  I got mine via regular mail and only the most esoteric of books were still available by the time I got my copy.  But for me, fine.  Cuz the stuff that folks did not grab right away were Chesler, Centaur, Holyoke, Fox, etc.... types of titles.  

And that is the stuff collectors want now 

11 hours ago, fishbone said:

My first Centaur !!  :luhv:

00266AC4-F0CD-4709-B0C3-C010266CF31E.jpeg

might have once resided in my collection...I had a cgc 6.0 years ago...not sure how many there are in that grade hm