• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

My win from the JB auction showed up, lot of red and yellow in here need some Blue...

WU9hDOb.jpg?2

Not a dud among them!  Is that your second AMF 2/5 copy?  Don't you have the Larson, or am I getting old?

What a great selection.  Congratulations!! 

18 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

My win from the JB auction showed up, lot of red and yellow in here need some Blue...

WU9hDOb.jpg?2

Johnny;

So, you was the one that beat me out on the AMF V2#6.  (tsk)

Can't remember if my last bid was right under yours, but it was pretty much around there as there was just so many books in the 3-minute time window then.  Looking back to see how the entire auction unfolded, I definitely should have bumped some of my bids up a few notches higher.  Not sure if I would have gotten any of those books in the end, but it doesn't hurt to try.  (shrug)

A word of advice just for you:  Looks like you've got the perfect color coordinated combination of red, yellow, and green in your collection there as they simply look beautiful AS IS.  To add an abhorrent color like blue in there would serve only to throw off the whole beautiful color coordination appearance of your collection and hence put your collection at risk from a valuation point of view.  With a collection like that above, asset preservation and risk prevention is most critical, so STAY AWAY FROM THE BLUE.  Well, at least for a couple of months until you've given it some more thought.  :preach:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/25/2017 at 5:56 PM, G.A.tor said:
On 7/25/2017 at 5:29 PM, Johnny545 said:

Photobucket is really making me crazy, meant to post in the related SDCC discussion thread.  Here is the AMF v2/2 pre-slabbing It was purchased from Michael at Motor City last year, later sold to me by that purchaser and graded a CGC 7.0 C/ow.  I still have it, not going anywhere.

SCPcKkg.jpg

given that this copy has the "L" on it, I suspect it was also from the OO...so, maybe there were 2 copies or Michael is confused if there was only 1....no idea, except my after spending almost an hour with Michael at sdcc, I was under the impression he knew what he had

and he offered all the AMF's to me at a good discount, but I just couldn't justify buying them, with the "run" not in tact

I hope that you guys do realize that all this talk about the Centaurs seems only to drive up the prices for the current offerings on Heritage.

For example, I wake up this morning and their copy of this particular issue pictured above is now into the mid 5's (including the juice) with still another 2 weeks to go.  Every time I say that some of these prices can't go any higher, they just seem to end up going even higher.  doh!  :mad:

:idea:  Maybe it's time we talked about something more exciting like Westerns or strip reprint comics if we want to pick up some of these centaurs at reasonable prices.  hm  lol

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, RyanH said:

Not a dud among them!  Is that your second AMF 2/5 copy?  Don't you have the Larson, or am I getting old?

What a great selection.  Congratulations!! 

That is the Larson in the picture CGC 9.0 White Pages. 

On 7/25/2017 at 10:38 PM, lou_fine said:

The more I see this cover, the more I am starting to like it a bit more than some of the other early AMF covers.  :luhv:

Or maybe it's also because the colors on this particular issue always seems to be more vibrant and glossy as compared to some of the more flat colors that the other early AMF's seem to have.  hm

Is there a church of the book? V2 #2

Edited by SushiX

41 minutes ago, SushiX said:
On 7/25/2017 at 10:38 PM, lou_fine said:

The more I see this cover, the more I am starting to like it a bit more than some of the other early AMF covers.  :luhv:

Or maybe it's also because the colors on this particular issue always seems to be more vibrant and glossy as compared to some of the more flat colors that the other early AMF's seem to have.  hm

Is there a church of the book? V2 #2

Yes, as you can see, it came from some collection called the Vampire University Collection and was auctioned off by CC back in 2013:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=483062

An absolutely gorgeous copy, but what else would you expect from a Church copy.  :luhv:

Looks like there are only a total of 7 graded copies in the census so far, with the next 2 highest at VF 8.0 (1 8.0 Universal in current Heritage Auction and 1 Jon Berk Conserved copy in last CC auction).

Edited by lou_fine

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, as you can see, it came from some collection called the Vampire University Collection and was auctioned off by CC back in 2013:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=483062

An absolutely gorgeous copy, but what else would you expect from a Church copy.  :luhv:

Looks like there are only a total of 7 graded copies in the census so far, with the next 2 highest at VF 8.0 (1 8.0 Universal in current Heritage Auction and 1 Jon Berk Conserved copy in last CC auction).

Did someone from the boards win it?

1 hour ago, Johnny545 said:

That is the Larson in the picture CGC 9.0 White Pages. 

Still bummed I was just a tad slow to see the bin listing :(

1 hour ago, Johnny545 said:

Does anyone know anything about the AMF's in the HA auction, some OO collection - anyone have any information on who consigned or where they came from?

I heard at SDCC that they're new to market books from the Midwest.

18 hours ago, sacentaur said:
20 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

Does anyone know anything about the AMF's in the HA auction, some OO collection - anyone have any information on who consigned or where they came from?

I heard at SDCC that they're new to market books from the Midwest.

Steve;

Any idea if these 27 Centaurs that are currently in the HA auction is just the initial batch of books from the OO collection or will there be more Centaurs or other books coming out from this collection here?  hm  :wishluck:

My assumption is that this is probably it because in their catalog write-up for this grouping of books, Heritage only talked about the history of the Comics Magazine / Centaur publishers and really nothing about the collection or the owner of these particular books. 

A few of the HA Centaurs are from the collection I bought last summer and posted about in this thread so they are not all from one owner.

Here is my AMF 2.4 I recently bought. Never really had much interest in Centaurs until I bought that collection. While I have no desire to buy the AMF run I'm attracted to a few of the covers. 

Now I need someone to post the Sand Hogs story from 2.5 so I can see if our Sand Hogs survived the terrible predicament they are in. :frustrated: 

597cdb274f827_AMF2.thumb.jpg.fbc8ef5512c4341e914a2d77e45a5eb8.jpg597cdb4849351_AMF2_4bc.thumb.jpg.1e02d6e06d6940de51209fd263cb6f08.jpg

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Steve;

Any idea if these 27 Centaurs that are currently in the HA auction is just the initial batch of books from the OO collection or will there be more Centaurs or other books coming out from this collection here?  hm  :wishluck:

Not sure, but I'm guessing this is it.

Not all 27 are from the same source.