• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Thanks, but honestly, I wasn't too worried about getting one of those eventually. They certainly exist; it was just a matter of finding one available or paying the price to pry one out of a collection.

Much more significant to me, actually, is my recent pick-up of Little Giant #2, a book I'd never seen before. When I'm down to my final handful of Centaurs, it'll be books like this that are the major stumbling blocks.

littlegiantcomics2.jpg

Congratulations Win!! I have never seen that book before. How close are you now to closing out the publisher?

Off the top of my head (still out of town for Thanksgiving), I'd say I have around 15% more to go, say 40 out of 290. It's getting tougher for sure.

just bumping this because I recently asked Win "how many" there are....he couldn't quite remember, but I had remembered him telling me many years ago 290 or 292....

so, I've always gone by that number...

right now, I believe I am 4 short of complete publisher, so last night I counted how many I have...

231 is the number, but 2 are promos...

so that leads me to believe I have 229 out of 233...

God forbid there are 290+, but if anyone has a more accurate count, lmk...

I think 233 is the number

Thanks, but honestly, I wasn't too worried about getting one of those eventually. They certainly exist; it was just a matter of finding one available or paying the price to pry one out of a collection.

Much more significant to me, actually, is my recent pick-up of Little Giant #2, a book I'd never seen before. When I'm down to my final handful of Centaurs, it'll be books like this that are the major stumbling blocks.

littlegiantcomics2.jpg

Congratulations Win!! I have never seen that book before. How close are you now to closing out the publisher?

Off the top of my head (still out of town for Thanksgiving), I'd say I have around 15% more to go, say 40 out of 290. It's getting tougher for sure.

just bumping this because I recently asked Win "how many" there are....he couldn't quite remember, but I had remembered him telling me many years ago 290 or 292....

right now, I believe I am 4 short of complete publisher, so last night I counted how many I have...

Curious to ask how long has it taken you now to have amassed your Centaur collection?

GCD list 187 official Centaur comics including giveaways. They may be missing a giveaway or two.

There are "semi-Centaur" comics that were either purchased by or purchased from Centaur. These include 12 from Chesler, 16 from Ultem and 27 from Comics Mag Co.

Those add up to 242.

Edited by adamstrange

GCD list 187 official Centaur comics including giveaways. They may be missing a giveaway or two.

There are "semi-Centaur" comics that were either purchased by or purchased from Centaur. These include 12 from Chesler, 16 from Ultem and 27 from Comics Mag Co.

Those add up to 242.

wow. No idea what the other 9 are (shrug)

Those add up to 242.

Figured it out

They list khaki (7 khaki wacki and 1 khaki komic) and a liberty guard variant

That's 9 releases I don't count because they were not US comics (more like digests)

So 233 is correct for my purposes

littlegiantcomics2.jpg

Curious to ask how long has it taken you now to have amassed your Centaur collection?

First go around was 5 years. This go around 4 years with a 2 year break after intial sell off (2005-2009...sold most all 2010-11, then started collecting them again 2012)

Those add up to 242.

Most likely the discrepancy is in the "semi-Centaurs". For example, some may consider only a few of the issues published by those other companies as semi-Centaurs and might therefore exclude Detective Picture Stories.

GCD summarizes the history and gives links to each of the related publishers.

http://www.comics.org/publisher/58/

Those add up to 242.

Most likely the discrepancy is in the "semi-Centaurs". For example, some may consider only a few of the issues published by those other companies as semi-Centaurs and might therefore exclude Detective Picture Stories.

I'm good with comic mag co, ultem and the oversized cheslers. It's the khakis I balk at

Those add up to 242.

I'm good with comic mag co, ultem and the oversized cheslers. It's the khakis I balk at

Khaki Komics isn't a digest.

There's also a variant cover AMF and this one:

Pop%20Am%20Heroes%20fca_zpspqbwidbn.jpg

As well as the AMF laundry giveaway.

I wondered where the 290 number came from. My total for "Centaur" family newsstand is 231, same as Rick. There are a few notable related issues.

* 231 "Centaur"s (Comics Magazine Co - Chesler - Ultem - Centaur/Comic Corporation of America) newsstand editions.

* 1 Centaur giveaway: FPS Laundry nn.

* 6 C-M-O giveaways: C-M-O (2), Liberty Guards, AMF, Khaki Komics, PAHM. All are full size full color comics. I believe all are US editions. Not clear how these were distributed.

* 1 pre-"Centaur": Cheerio, who's strips were later "reprinted" in books from Chesler and Ultem.

Khaki Wacky is a digest, and I consider it outside the "Centaur" family either.

Impressive to be so close to having them all!

Years ago, #2 and #3 were fairly easy to find - I even had dups, which I gave away! #1 was non-existent. Over the last few yrs, I've seen more #1s, than #2 or 3.

I think all three are tough, and one of those odd titles that tend to be overlooked by collectors. The funny covers don't help. I know there's some titles I used to overlook and now regret!

I think they're cool and am still trying to find a #1.

I wondered where the 290 number came from. My total for "Centaur" family newsstand is 231, same as Rick. There are a few notable related issues.

* 231 "Centaur"s (Comics Magazine Co - Chesler - Ultem - Centaur/Comic Corporation of America) newsstand editions.

* 1 Centaur giveaway: FPS Laundry nn.

* 6 C-M-O giveaways: C-M-O (2), Liberty Guards, AMF, Khaki Komics, PAHM. All are full size full color comics. I believe all are US editions. Not clear how these were distributed.

* 1 pre-"Centaur": Cheerio, who's strips were later "reprinted" in books from Chesler and Ultem.

Khaki Wacky is a digest, and I consider it outside the "Centaur" family either.

Impressive to be so close to having them all!

Sounds about right.

I have the 2 cmo. But 231 is my goal

I have the amf giveaway and the fps laundry as they've presented themselves. Wouldn't turn the khakis away if offered but dont consider them "Newstand"

Years ago, #2 and #3 were fairly easy to find - I even had dups, which I gave away! #1 was non-existent. Over the last few yrs, I've seen more #1s, than #2 or 3.

I think all three are tough, and one of those odd titles that tend to be overlooked by collectors. The funny covers don't help. I know there's some titles I used to overlook and now regret!

I've owned 2 diff #1 keen Komics and 2 diff #3. I've owned the same #2 twice.

I've never owned a Keen Komics 1, but would certainly like to.

Got it now, there was an AMF giveaway and a FPS laundry promotional.

Yeah, I screwed that up. No AMF laundry giveaway.

Yeah, I screwed that up. No AMF laundry giveaway.

strangely enough, I have both the AMF and the FPS promos

(thumbs u Any ads inside? Or any on the BC? I would assume that's one of the CMO giveaways. And I also assume the FPS laundry giveaway was not distributed since there are no copies with a specific laundry on them, only a "your laundry name".