• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2019 at 12:46 AM, sacentaur said:

From the artist’s estate, the books made their way to J&S comics in the early 80’s and out to collectors via an ad in The Comics Buyers Guide. Most went to Jon Berk and another collector named Michael Music. I bought 10 of them via the ad.

The comics tended to be in very nice shape. There were less than 100 books total in the collection; I believe they were the issues that Moe had a story in.

I got the rest! She must have had two AMF V2#5's, because I'm pretty sure mine came from J&S as well.

I think I might have gotten about 10 as well.

I did see all of Michael Music's.

He was asking ridiculous prices for them, even in those days.

5 minutes ago, circumstances said:

I remember that, I don’t know anyone who bought any from him.

Offhand, I’m trying to remember the Moe’s I bought from J&S: AMF 2/5, KDF 2/11 and 3/1, FP 4/1 and 38 are the ones that immediately come to mind (all high grade).

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Offhand, I’m trying to remember the Moe’s I bought from J&S: AMF 2/5, KDF 2/11 and 3/1, FP 4/1 and 38 are the ones that immediately come to mind (all high grade).

FP 4/1! Lucky!

I think I got:

AMF #3. It was high grade but it was missing one page (like it was sliced out with a razor). I sold it years ago.

AMF V2#3

AMF V2#5

FPS #4

FP V2#6, V2#11, V3#1, V3#2, V3#4, V3#8

Keen Komics #2

Comic Pages V3#4

All high grade.

That's 12 that I got that immediately spring to mind. I might be missing some.

I also used to have a KDF V2#2 and Star V2#1 that weren't in as high grade that might have come from Moe as well. I sold them years ago.

21 hours ago, sacentaur said:

19 hours ago, circumstances said:

FP 4/1! Lucky!

I think I got:

AMF #3. It was high grade but it was missing one page (like it was sliced out with a razor). I sold it years ago.

AMF V2#3

AMF V2#5

FPS #4

FP V2#6, V2#11, V3#1, V3#2, V3#4, V3#8

Keen Komics #2

Comic Pages V3#4

All high grade.

That's 12 that I got that immediately spring to mind. I might be missing some.

I also used to have a KDF V2#2 and Star V2#1 that weren't in as high grade that might have come from Moe as well. I sold them years ago.

I can only dream of those long-ago fabled days. You guys actually lived it! :angel:

I've been lucky lately and scoffing up some fun books. I'll be posting all the new acquisitions in the coming weeks.

Here's a Funny Pages #8 (third issue).

Clock appearance.

7 universal on the CGC census (one restored). None higher than a 7.5.

This was sold to me as an 8.0 (which it probably isn't). Might tie for highest graded.

FP8.png

That's definitely a nicelooking copy of a HTF very early Centaur that doesn't come around very often.  (thumbsu

Surprised that the seller would be willing to sell it raw when books of this rarity and quality are usually slabbed before they get sold.

Congrats on the fantastic pickup and looking forward to seeing more of your recent fun book pickups.  :applause:  :taptaptap:

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That's definitely a nicelooking copy of a HTF very early Centaur that doesn't come around very often.  (thumbsu

Surprised that the seller would be willing to sell it raw when books of this rarity and quality are usually slabbed before they get sold.

Congrats on the fantastic pickup and looking forward to seeing more of your recent fun book pickups.  :applause:  :taptaptap:

Thanks! I couldn't resist it in the raw.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:21 PM, circumstances said:

I remember us looking through all his stuff at one of the Atlanta Fantasy Fairs back then, and yes ridiculous prices (want to say 5x guide plus or something), but guide was also ridiculously cheap on all of the books back then too.

16 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I remember us looking through all his stuff at one of the Atlanta Fantasy Fairs back then, and yes ridiculous prices (want to say 5x guide plus or something), but guide was also ridiculously cheap on all of the books back then too.

He was walking around the Fantasy Fair with a briefcase (or something) full of them!

Then, I think he had family in Hallandale (near Gulfstream Park), so I drove down there to check them out again a few years later when he came down to visit. The prices were even higher and I didn't end up buying anything.

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Funny enough, there's a graded one on ebay right now in 6.5. I've practically never seen this one before, and now I pick one up a few months ago and another (in nice shape) pops up on the 'bay.

1 hour ago, circumstances said:

Funny enough, there's a graded one on ebay right now in 6.5. I've practically never seen this one before, and now I pick one up a few months ago and another (in nice shape) pops up on the 'bay.

And I sold 3 recently. 

7 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I have the Church (bought directly from Chuck back in the day), but it is not high grade (second-hand copy).

You mean that Chuck had actially graded it properly  :whatthe:  as it shows up in his Mile High as a Fine condition copy.  (thumbsu

On 6/6/2019 at 8:52 PM, circumstances said:

I think I got:

AMF V2#3

AMF V2#5

Were all 3 of these early AMF's all in high grade condition, or was it just the AMF #3?  hm

Either way, it sounds as though all of your guys got somce fantastic books here.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Were all 3 of these early AMF's all in high grade condition, or was it just the AMF #3?  hm

Either way, it sounds as though all of your guys got somce fantastic books here.  :applause:

Everything was in high grade. The AMF 3 was at least 9.0 or 9.2 (if I'm remembering correctly), but with the page cut out I decided it wasn't a keeper.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Here's an example of one of the books that I got. I'm sure you've seen me post it before. It would probably get a 9.6, if it got a 9.8 i'd be shocked and pleasantly surprised.

beef8.png