• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A most memorial Memorial Day find ($100 Contest- See Pg 10)

132 posts in this topic

Well now my curiosity factor has skyrocketed

Don't think these consecutive issues have ever surfaced before like this

I am hoping that someone/anyone can dig up anything on these. I cant imagine if I couldn't obtain them today. He was telling me to make an offer and he'd think about it :ohnoez:

I am hoping that someone/anyone can dig up anything on these. I cant imagine if I couldn't obtain them today. He was telling me to make an offer and he'd think about it :ohnoez:

Did you email that yellow kid dude?

Did you email that yellow kid dude?

No not yet. I do plan to though. I was trying to see what I could find on my own first.

Seeing as though not even CGC has had issue #4 in their hands, I thought some may be interested to see whats inside of these books. I took a few shots here of a few select pages. Neat little blurbs of 19th century humor and cartoons. Hope you can read them. Some are just hard to get. Funny thing I always thought that the Carter and the liver pills was about President Jimmy Carter :D

image_zpstuxrzxi7.jpg

Congrats on a wonderful find. Shows that you never really know what you'll find when you go to look at books.

My mom's generation used a common phrase "more ____________ than Carter's has pills"

The Yellow Kid was an attempt to cash in on the popularity of both humor magazines and the Yellow Kid. As shown, the first six issues had cover art by Outcault, and then there were three more issues without his art. At that point the name of the magazine changed to The Yellow Book and went another eight or nine issues. There was also an attractive burgundy leather magazine holder with the title imprinted. Nearly 100 years later when Syracuse University received the Street and Smith archives, a graduate assistant working with the material found ten additional original paintings by Outcault for covers that were never published. If you go to my website, www.neponset.com/yellowkid you can click on the rare and beautiful link and see those covers. If you click on the newsletters link, you can read about the magazine and see the covers in Vol. 7, No. 2. At one time I had the complete set of nearly 20 issues in the binder and it is the only complete set that I have ever heard of. However, the first six issues are the only ones of merit with the Outcault covers and the same Outcault back cover on all six of the first issues. All of these issues are rare in any condition.

I found a few sales of a few books. Here is a #2 sold back in 2009 for $575

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-3103-yellow-kid-magazine-vol-i-no-2-9491/

and a #6 went $920

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-3104-yellow-kid-magazine-vol-i-no-6-9490/

Both were from the same well known antique toy & advertising Auctioneer James D. Julia.

I found this entire thread fascinating for some reason and thought I would save others some time who wondered what vol 1 no 1 cover looked like:

vol1-1c.jpg

I think all the covers are discussed in this newsletter from the site theyellowkid pointed us to here.

One thing that stood out to me was that the pictures from the ones on this thread seem to be in such better shape than the ones on the website (save the clipped corners).

great stuff

Did you ask the seller how he acquired them?
No but I should and I will.
I just got off of the phone with Michael ( the person I bought these from). He says his memory is a little cloudy, but he thinks it was about 40 years ago that he was contacted by a close friend whose relative had passed away and lived in New Hampshire. He was invited to the house to purchase whatever. The attic was jam packed with old magazines, a hoard beyond belief, he thinks a million possibly. He recalled the floor sagging from the massive weight. He bought them all. He has since sold off every thing and the only books he kept were these Yellow Kids. He's had them locked in his safe all these years. Funny thing is when the wife saw them brought out the other day, she was like wow, I never saw those.